Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Gull lake snow pack?

Read a couple of posts saying lots of snow, use a 4x4. Is there more snow this year than there was last year? To me, here in the Devon area, looks like there's less of the white stuff than last year. Going out on Monday with the kids, entering the North side of the lake through the Race Trac turnoff at Crestomere.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM

When I was there on Friday we came on the lake west side, no way you would even make it 100 ft without 4x4, went off on east side. The trail may be passible without 4x4 but you would not be able to get off the trail or turn around and I wouldn't chance it.
Salty
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Doable with chains only!!!

Was at Gull today. Snow pack has melted quite a bit. However, you have soft snow. Stick to the trails and put chains on. You should be OK at least on the west end. Snow was about 1 foot but there were a few drifts. Lots of traffic though, so the trails are well beaten.

Drewski
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Saw a Chevy 4x4 stuck today; helped pull it out with my F-250...

okay, we actually dug the truck out .

That being said, the Chevy was a diesel, and my F-250 has the 5.4 Gas engine (lighter). I had no problem making it around the lake outside of the track, and the chevy got stuck twice more after I helped dig it out the first time. I think it's all about how you're set up, so be careful. The snow is only about 4-6 inches thick in most places that aren't drifts, but it's crusted up pretty solid. Take care out there!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Ya but like you said, it was a chevy. Not that there is anything wrong with a chevy, however, they don't have the ground clearance of a dodge or ford.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
TundraBuck

Gull always has hard, drifted packs, I don't know why, Sylvan doesn't as much, but Gull ALWAYS does for some reason. Just fish in an area where there is a good track and you'll be fine.