Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Default Giant Tiger

Had a wild Saturday taking a new friend ice fishing for his first time. He and his young family moved into our neighborhood last year from England. It's neat to meet someone just as passionate about fishing but using totally different methods. He did a lot of surf fishing for various species including "skate"? He was also a cop in the UK and travelled throughout Europe fishing competitively against other LEOs . So to stop the flamers running for the matches, we travelled separately to the lake and kept our required distance in the tent ( except to take the quick pic below). So when we arrived at the destination it was -15, blowing snow and 40k winds gusting to 50k all day. It was a rodeo to get the tent up and even though all the ice screws were utilized that tent was rocking all day. Now I am a trout guy and have been trying to catch my first tiger trout for the past 4 years. So after seeing many rainbows on the camera that were not hungry, a different type of fish came across the camera view and it took a while. My buddy had switched to using an earthworm of all things and actually was able to sight fish down the hole and was able to hook up with this weird looking trout...3 times!...first time the fish spit the hook, second time the line broke ( think he had it rubbing on the bottom ice edge) 3rd time the hook stayed ( we think it was the same fish but the broke line was not evident) and somehow we dragged this beauty up through the six inch hole. His first fish ever ice fishing and he was disappointed to not be able to taste it but he understood the regs. Quick poor quality pic and measure ( min 21") and back down it went to keep on scaring kids. Fun action on a crazy day to be a rookie
Old 12-14-2020, 01:45 PM

Tiger King
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger.jpg (77.3 KB, 607 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 04:53 PM

Not a giant...or a king....but a very nice tiger.
Congrats!
Old 12-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Nice catch. Sight fishing through a 6" hole no less.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:49 PM

Nice Tiger...........all I ever used for trout when I was a kid in ON was earth or dew worms. Nobody used meal worms or maggots......or Power Baits......or shrimp
Old 12-15-2020, 05:11 PM

nice tiger but 21"?...more like 16 to 17"
Old 12-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
A tad skinny but looks like it could be 20 to me.

This brookie was 17 inch.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 12-15-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
definitely used the "Bow River Ruler" for that one.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:50 PM

Mr Flyguy, didn’t your mom ever tell you “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”, I am just happy some folks are still willing to post photos. If you don’t think the fish is the posted size, you can always question it yourself but it is not necessary to question the poster here. Just my opinion and I know we all have one so no need to reply.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:00 PM

It's a poor photo in terms of portraying the size of the fish, but I can see it being 21in. Congrats on the catch, and good on you for giving someone the experience of ice fishing.