Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM

I'll volunteer

On a more serious note, I'm with Canoes - my dad was born in '22 and I heard a LOT of horror stories of "back in the day".

I dare say, though, that the lack of modern day "distractions" would be nice. Sittin' a horse for travel would suit me just fine.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I would play the piano in a brothel.
I would be the guy that shot the piano player in a wild west shootout over some floosey.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Aside from the medical and disease issues, I would love to do it...

But only if women were treated as they are now, otherwise, I'm certain I'd be hung by some misogynist sheriff with little man syndrome. For the same reason, I'll never travel to any nation where I do not have equal footing in the law or the culture as my male counterparts (as much as I would LOVE to herp some of those countries!)

I was aghast to learn that women weren't even allowed in the beer parlours in Saskatchewan until the early 70s... I honestly can't imagine living that way.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM

For those who said "it's where I belong".... I'm not sure you REALLY believe that. Why don't you go back then? I mean, you could buy some land and absolutely live like people in Alberta 100 or 150 years ago. Sell everything, Quit your job, get rid of the truck, buy a couple horses and a plow. Build a little house, say goodby to technology. Forget retirement. Work until you die.

Could I have lived 100 years ago successfully? Of course I could, 99.99% of us could (probably not for as long though...). I'd just never want to.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
But only if women were treated as they are now, .
My, you have low expectations. LOL
Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
For those who said "it's where I belong".... I'm not sure you REALLY believe that. Why don't you go back then? I mean, you could buy some land and absolutely live like people in Alberta 100 or 150 years ago. Sell everything, Quit your job, get rid of the truck, buy a couple horses and a plow. Build a little house, say goodby to technology. Forget retirement. Work until you die.

Could I have lived 100 years ago successfully? Of course I could, 99.99% of us could (probably not for as long though...). I'd just never want to.
You paint a pretty grim picture of returning to the land!! LOL work till you die?? What do you think most housewives do?? LOL

IF you were to buy some land and forgo technology things wouldn't be so bad, you would be getting checks from the government and have very few expenses! You would still have access to social services like hospital/medical care. A fellow could spend lots of time hunting and fishing and dreaming!! ;-)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You paint a pretty grim picture of returning to the land!! LOL work till you die?? What do you think most housewives do?? LOL

IF you were to buy some land and forgo technology things wouldn't be so bad, you would be getting checks from the government and have very few expenses! You would still have access to social services like hospital/medical care. A fellow could spend lots of time hunting and fishing and dreaming!! ;-)
uh, getting social services and hospitals and medicare is not living as you would in the old west. And I didn't paint a grim picture, just a realistic one. Nobody retired and went on OAS/CPP in 1880.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
uh, getting social services and hospitals and medicare is not living as you would in the old west. And I didn't paint a grim picture, just a realistic one. Nobody retired and went on OAS/CPP in 1880.
You said sell the truck and buy some land....I just took you literally!! In this age it wouldn't be so bad giving up some of the technology for a simpler life!! ;-)