Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Media Sources are currently unable to obtain anything substantive from the RCMP.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=horsetrader;1433608]
Quote:

Can you post a link to this. Seems funny my dad still is in Ont and has not renewed his and has had no issues. and can't see others having any with the amnesty in affect until May 16 2013 .....
They did the confiscations in Toronto,google is your friend,and yes it did happen
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=horsetrader;1433608]
Quote:

Can you post a link to this. Seems funny my dad still is in Ont and has not renewed his and has had no issues. and can't see others having any with the amnesty in affect until May 16 2013 .....
I don't have a link. Google away if you want.

In Ont there were door to door campaigns a couple of years back, where OPP asked to see storage of firearms, and they did seem to target sr's, and many unsafe storage charges were laid. I believe this happened mainly in TO.

Amnesty doesn't apply to an expired license. Your dad is lucky. I teach the CFSC and have had a few sr's come asking help. Their POL expired and they are getting threatening letters from the RCMP about confiscation.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Maybe I am thickheaded, but what is the point of CFO's having the information on new gun sales stored. There is no LGR to govern further sales of the gun, ie private, once the owner sells the gun privately the stored information is now incorrect. In no time at all, the collected data is wrong and misleading. It can't be used or trusted, so what is the point of collecting the data in the first place?
Bingo.....way back there on page 2 the minute that gun goes out the door any data they collected is irrelevant.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=riden;1433643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post

I don't have a link. Google away if you want.

In Ont there were door to door campaigns a couple of years back, where OPP asked to see storage of firearms, and they did seem to target sr's, and many unsafe storage charges were laid. I believe this happened mainly in TO.

Amnesty doesn't apply to an expired license. Your dad is lucky. I teach the CFSC and have had a few sr's come asking help. Their POL expired and they are getting threatening letters from the RCMP about confiscation.

New POL Initiative

A new policy initiative, which encourages holders of expired POLs to return to compliance with firearms licensing regulations, was launched in 2008 and will continue to be in effect until May 16, 2013. Firearm owners whose POL expired on or after January 1, 2004, may be eligible to apply for a new POL, if they meet all of the following criteria:

They previously held a POL which expired naturally (was not revoked or refused);
They are in possession of at least one restricted or non-restricted firearm that was or is registered; and
They meet all public safety requirements in order to possess firearms.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Privacy Law

here are helpful links with regards to collection of personal information.

provincial

http://servicealberta.ca/pipa/

federal

http://www.priv.gc.ca/information/pu...l_201106_e.asp
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=horsetrader;1433715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

New POL Initiative

A new policy initiative, which encourages holders of expired POLs to return to compliance with firearms licensing regulations, was launched in 2008 and will continue to be in effect until May 16, 2013. Firearm owners whose POL expired on or after January 1, 2004, may be eligible to apply for a new POL, if they meet all of the following criteria:

They previously held a POL which expired naturally (was not revoked or refused);
They are in possession of at least one restricted or non-restricted firearm that was or is registered; and
They meet all public safety requirements in order to possess firearms.
I am aware of that.

But the fact remained their license expired.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=riden;1433733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post

I am aware of that.

But the fact remained their license expired.
Yes i did find an article on the guns being seized by the province not the RCMP
it was the fed.gov. that set the amnesty. Is posable that it was even a city structure and not provincial. there has been no issue where we are from. I stand corrected. But no charges were laid as was suggested and guns were returned when POL was retained at no charge