Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Exclamation Twin Alberta's Highway 63

http://www.change.org/petitions/prem...ter_action_box

Sign it
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM

So by signing it, Queen Redford will just wave a magic wand and poof it's twinned and everyone will drive the speed limit and all will be rosey.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM

cleaned up this thread........ If members have nothing positive to say, then just zip it. If you don't like BGSH's posts, then put him on ignore, pretty simple. And to accuse him of not contributing to the forum.....then you better go check out the fishing section. BGSH posts alot of pictures that alot of people really do enjoy. Next time call a Waaaabulance.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks AB, had to stop reading this one. One of the women killed in the last crash was a close co-worker to my wife. We sat together at the last Christmas party.

Say what you want, it's kinda hard to have an idiot cause a head on collision on a twinned highway. I know this last one was pure and simple driver error but I've driven that highway a lot: stupid people, wide loads and tractors pulling at 75-80% of the speed limit all piled onto each other nose to tail, and very few safe passing zones. I drive by the zones they've been working on a fair bit and only three times have I seen any equipment working on this process.

Doesn't happen overnight but I know it happens faster when the crews work on the road.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 AM

The twinning isn't going to happen over night but it I imagine if there is more public pressure put towards this it might help get the ball rolling a little sooner than if people remained passive about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
cleaned up this thread........ If members have nothing positive to say, then just zip it. If you don't like BGSH's posts, then put him on ignore, pretty simple. And to accuse him of not contributing to the forum.....then you better go check out the fishing section. BGSH posts alot of pictures that alot of people really do enjoy. Next time call a Waaaabulance.
Thanks! Not sure why people even bother to click on threads if they know ahead of time they're going to be bothered with the content. Simple solution is to stay out of threads if it is going to upset you in some way, don't go in just for the sake of bashing someone IMO.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Signed...They say only the good die young...Some people will be posting on here for many years to come...

Take it on the chin BGSH...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

An interesting solution that they do in Australia and New Zealand is that every once in awhile they have an "over taking lane". That is one side of the highway will have two lanes for a distance of a km. or so where the backed up line of traffic can get by the bottle neck and spread out again. There are some places in Alberta that they do this.

Let say they did this on #63 and had the extra "passing lane" once every 15 km. it would cost far less money and could be completed much sooner. eventually over a few years they could be joined up bit by bit if it was really needed to twin the whole thing.

I never saw what got deleted so I can't comment. But I would not like to see everything that was "negative" deleted. If one person can say "I like this" it should be reasonable to hear someone else say "I don't like this". As long as it is civil and an explanation goes along. Many times I have had a viewpoint and when I see how someone else sees the issue I change my mind or at least find it easier to see their view point.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...

Last edited by duffy4; 05-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
An interesting solution that they do in Australia and New Zealand is that every once in awhile they have an "over taking lane". That is one side of the highway will have two lanes for a distance of a km. or so where the backed up line of traffic can get by the bottle neck and spread out again. There are some places in Alberta that they do this.

Let say they did this on #63 and had the extra "passing lane" once every 15 km. it would cost far less money and could be completed much sooner. eventually over a few years they could be joined up bit by bit if it was really needed to twin the whole thing.

I never saw what got deleted so I can't comment. But I would not like to see everything that was "negative" deleted. If one person can say "I like this" it should be reasonable to hear someone else say "I don't like this". As long as it is civil and an explanation goes along. Many times I have had a viewpoint and when I see how someone else sees the issue I change my mind or at least find it easier to see their view point.
thats right duffy, you didnt see. Not even close to what was cleaned up. Carry on.

And... as for what they do in new Zeland or whatever, welcome to hwy 14 and hwy 21 east and south of sherwood park Lots of those passing lanes that make the road 2 lanes on one side for a KM or two.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM

There's a couple of those zones where possible by the terrain on 63 already.

Come up that section from grasslands to where 881 connects on a sunday afternoon sometime. It's interesting.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
There's a couple of those zones where possible by the terrain on 63 already.

Come up that section from grasslands to where 881 connects on a sunday afternoon sometime. It's interesting.

So what we are saying here is the problem is drivers who do not drive with due care and the solution is to let them drive without due care in a wider environment.

It will be interested to see once the highway is twinned, if it holds the record for most accidents on any twinned highway.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
So what we are saying here is the problem is drivers who do not drive with due care and the solution is to let them drive without due care in a wider environment.

It will be interested to see once the highway is twinned, if it holds the record for most accidents on any twinned highway.
When Rob Parsons was killed last fall, the person that hit his vehicle had cross the centre ine into his lane.
that person was on a hill tha had a passing lane.

There was a vehicle clocked at over 180KPH just a day or two after the last wreck, and a motocycle that was clocked at over 200KPH North of twon shortly afteerwards as well.

I think the twinning will sure help when the modules and other wide loads are being transported up, but people losing control and smashing into other vehicles, etc, is still going to be a problem if the conditions are not adjusted for and people do not drive to them.
Cat
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM

When is this province going to realize that all the accidents/bad drivers around here are due to the province de-regulating driver training.

IT needs to change. Re-testing (and re-training) before the licence renewal every 5 years is a start. This will also provide more money for traffic enforcement, which in turn will also improve drivers. Albertans think it is their right to drive... (it's not..).

No no. .instead let's spend a billion twinning a highway, yet the accidents will still keep happening.. Let's build a barrier in the median so they can't have headons. Let's blah, blah, blah..

It ALL comes down to bad drivers. I mentioned this before, but I picked up a car from Pheonix in april, drove for 20.5 hours (~2430kms) and through all the cities/construction/traffic we hit, the first incident was 3 km north of the border. Not to mention the 4 others that happened between there and calgary. Seems there's an instant roadrage button when you hit the border (and have an alberta plate).
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM

I agree highway needs to be twinned to prevent idiots from taking out innocents... we will trade head-ons for single vehicle rollovers but at least lowers risk to others.... Then add lots of enforcement and with tickets it should pay for itself fairly quickly... say $100 for every km over the limit...

I would love to see high speed rail transit here like in Japan or Europe connecting the bigger centers... would be a great legacy....

I love how they call Highway 63 the gighway of death with 25 deaths in 10 years...

Highway 44 between Highway 16 and Highway 37 has had 12 deaths since I loved into the area in 2008. (4 years) on it thus is a 10 mile stretch!... Yet we don't here about that in the news... 5 of which have been on villeneuve Intersection... three crosses behind my house from 3 different accidents....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

you should petition to become king of canada . you have it all figured out .

oh- i signed bgsh petition
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

i agree with duffy 4. in b.c. there are passing lanes on many 2 lane hwys. and they do help with congestion.
nothing wrong with someone disagreeing with you. it can be informative to get a different perspective even if you agree to disagree. don't see why your so upset darius.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM

I don't like calling ANY highway a highway of death; Too melodramatic and reminds me too much of what newspapers do to make headlines interesting (kinda like entertainment almost when you think about it. titalation for the masses.)

No one is so naive they think this will fix everything and all the drivers will behave. I've seen stupid vehicles and stupid drivers every where across Canada. There'll still be speeding, still be tailgating, and I bet there'll be some record times from Fort McMurray to Edmonton set by some low flying aircraft strangely shaped like a car or truck. Lets at least eliminate the potential for head ons which are usually fatal for everyone.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 PM
AvayaAce

Maybe we could get a petition signed for a ringroad in SW Calgary.......sorry for the de-rail

How about a toll road?? Pay for itself with big Oil $$$
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Default really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
So by signing it, Queen Redford will just wave a magic wand and poof it's twinned and everyone will drive the speed limit and all will be rosey.
so im not sure about you but when was the lasttime you heard of a head-on on highway 2? now tell me the last time you saw someone do 110 on highway 2? im not saying its not the drivers fault but the people that choose do obey the speed limits are still being killed and i drive that highway every six off for the last 5 years and have seen enough death and hurt people and yes i HAVE seen death on that highway again a pickup truck HEAD ON with a civic guys in truck got out right after accident, guy in civic never did. ive been waiting on highway for hours because of head on's. and when it comes to queen redford im pretty sure when the govt wants something they do generally wave their wand and get what they want. in 2006 they started twinning 63 to date there is around 30 km done. 30 km in 6 years is that acceptable. now look at the wide loads that travel that highway there has been countless times we are directed to the shoulder so a wideload can get through. I guess in the end of my all over the place rant, its alot harder to for the retards who cant get it into their thick skulls to slow down to kill people if they are half a football feild away from me when they decide to pass going uphill on a double solid. Just because there are people who cant comprehend the consequences of their actions doesnt mean we all need to drive in fear ,which i do everytime i drive that highway i want my 4 year old daughter to have a father to raise her and that to me is worth any amount of money.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Default done already

Quote:

it already has overtaking lanes thanks though, it doesnt stop people from losing control of there vehicles because there idiots and smashing head-on into someone.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Highway 43 used to be called the death highway, now it's highway 63. During all this new construction do you think the province should make extra wide shoulders so that these wide loads can stay safely to the right with minimal disruption of the other lane. Easy to do if your starting from scratch. Bottom line is once the twinned highway is built, idiot drivers will still kill innocent people if the speed enforcement side doesnt increase dramaticly.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM

I have the mispleasure with my coworkers of cleaning up the mess left over from these horrible accidents. Twinning will help but only by a marginal amount. It is the aggressive driving that is the killer 80% of the time. On one trip up 2 years ago in winter conditions I happened to witness 4 vehicles going the same direction right across the whole road, it was a section where they have the passing lane. Idiots! Plain and simple!! Save a life, slow down and drive with care!! Lives depend on it!!