Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Boats/seadoos

Hey guys, I bought a seadoo this summer. I know how alot of people on this forum feel about us seadooers but I assure you it is operated in a respectful manner when it comes to sharing the water. This was my first watercraft purchase and I was hassled one day about having the proper documents (fortunately he had another issue to deal with). I'm basically just wondering what I need to ensure I don't have this problem again, is insurance mandatory, I've read it needs to be registered can this be done at a registry?

Any help/info is appreciated
Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM

"This was my first watercraft purchase and I was hassled one day about having the proper documents (fortunately he had another issue to deal with)."
So you bought this craft last summer. You have a bill of sale? Did it have registration numbers on it? What about the serial number, is it still on the vessel?
When you say, "fortunately he had another issue to deal with", raises my suspicions that all is not above board. You see, if it was me and I was hassled last summer about documentation, I would not be asking what to do months after the incident. Getting a reprieve like you did allowed you the time and opportunity to rectify the ownership documentation and secure the necessary insurance component.
Maybe you should peruse this link. http://www.stolenboats.ca/
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
"This was my first watercraft purchase and I was hassled one day about having the proper documents (fortunately he had another issue to deal with)."
So you bought this craft last summer. You have a bill of sale? Did it have registration numbers on it? What about the serial number, is it still on the vessel?
When you say, "fortunately he had another issue to deal with", raises my suspicions that all is not above board. You see, if it was me and I was hassled last summer about documentation, I would not be asking what to do months after the incident. Getting a reprieve like you did allowed you the time and opportunity to rectify the ownership documentation and secure the necessary insurance component.
Maybe you should peruse this link. http://www.stolenboats.ca/

sorta sounds to me like that is exactly what he is trying to do " rectify the situation " before the new boating season arrives.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

There is a link on boat registration question about a half page down. It may give you the info. Under Transport Canada.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM

What are you a cop? Yes I have a bill of sale, yes the numbers are on it, this isn't some scam I don't think it's fair that you jump to conclusions. It was my last trip out last season so It hasn't been a huge concern, i just want to have my ducks in a row for the start of summer. I was hassled about not having insurance which I wasn't aware was a requirement.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mranderson22 View Post
What are you a cop? Yes I have a bill of sale, yes the numbers are on it, this isn't some scam I don't think it's fair that you jump to conclusions. It was my last trip out last season so It hasn't been a huge concern, i just want to have my ducks in a row for the start of summer. I was hassled about not having insurance which I wasn't aware was a requirement.
I'm sorry to offend you but it was your choice of words that spawned mine.
Third party liability is a must, it protects your butt should you be deemed responsible for injury and damage to others or their property. That is as long as the incident happened without impairment.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks, I say I was fortunate he had other Issues to deal with only because it sounded like I had a ticket or two coming my way that I was thankful to avoid. I would just prefer to avoid the hassle of that again
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM

You need to transfer the boat into your name through transport Canada. You can get the form online and it hast to be mailed in, along with a copy of your bill of sale and ID.

You must carry liability insurance. It is a available through your home insurance as a rider on your policy. Should not be much more than about $100 per year or so. I've seen it range a lot, depending on the insurance company.

You must also hold, and should be carrying your boaters licence.

Hope this helps.

Dad
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you sir
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM

why exactly do you need liability insurance and does this apply to boats or just seadooers?

as far as I know, to legally boat, you need:

-Pleasurecraft operators license
-Registration numbers on boat
-License of the boat issued by Transport Canada
-Registration for trailer

???
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillydilly View Post
why exactly do you need liability insurance and does this apply to boats or just seadooers?

???
You probably can get by without liability insurance, if you have lots and lots of money.
You probably can get by without liability insurance, providing you are operating a row boat.
You probably can get by without liability insurance, if the boat never leaves the driveway.
Seriously, if you are deemed culpable for an action that harms someone or destroys their property, you will be sued. That is what third party liability insurance is a must if you take to the water. It is needed for every power vessel.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillydilly View Post

???
Really!!!, WOW
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
You probably can get by without liability insurance, if you have lots and lots of money.
You probably can get by without liability insurance, providing you are operating a row boat.
You probably can get by without liability insurance, if the boat never leaves the driveway.
Seriously, if you are deemed culpable for an action that harms someone or destroys their property, you will be sued. That is what third party liability insurance is a must if you take to the water. It is needed for every power vessel.
Auctally the liability from your trucks insurance covers the towed unit, ie boat, rv, at least mine does..
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

bubba96..
Only when it is being towed/hooked up. As soon as it is off the ball, you need other coverage.

I have my trailer under my house insurance for when it is parked.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM

insurance is not mandatory.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
insurance is not mandatory.
Say What!!! So who's gonna pay when u run over the water skier, smash into another guys boat, etc, etc. You probably think it's only a suggestion for your car as well. Let me know what lake u boat in, so I'm not there.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Say What!!! So who's gonna pay when u run over the water skier, smash into another guys boat, etc, etc. You probably think it's only a suggestion for your car as well.
No, it is a REQUIREMENT BY LAW for your car.

It is not mandatory for boats.

I'd recommend it, but I thought I would provide some correct information for the OP to make his own decision.

I would be happy to provide a dictionary link to the meaning of the word "mandatory" if that would help you out.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
No, it is a REQUIREMENT BY LAW for your car.

It is not mandatory for boats.

I'd recommend it, but I thought I would provide some correct information for the OP to make his own decision.

I would be happy to provide a dictionary link to the meaning of the word "mandatory" if that would help you out.
I know what "mandatory" is, Maybe you should look up common sense
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM

I think the OP was merely asking what is "required" by law, not personal opinions on what is "common sense". Too many questions on AO are answered with "opinions" and not "fact".
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM

I don't think it's mandatory, but only a fool would be on the water without it. There are so many factors to consider why you should have it.
Deadheads
Sandbars
Hitting a swimmer
Hitting another boat
A boat hitting you thats not insured
Storms that could swamp you
Somebody slips and falls in your boat causing injury
You don't tie it up right, it comes free and is banging into other boats or property.
Damaging a dock that isn't your own.
Fire
Forgetting the drain plug.

I'm sure I am missing so many more. For the price of insurance, which I find is pretty darn cheap, why wouldn't you have insurance? I have had 2 claims in 35 years and they were unexpected, but sure was glad I had insurance. First one was we sank off of quadra island due to some poor workmanship I had done on the boat. Long story. Second one was 16 months ago, hit a deadhead, it wasn't very big, but cracked the leg. That was a $11,000 repair.
Get insurance for your own protection
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM

would like to make a quick comment, without pointing fingers and singling specific forum members, about how unhelpful your silly comments can be. Just because you're behind a computer screen with a badass avatar and e-penis-identifying post count, doesn't mean your **** doesnt stink and you have 'respect, seniority, and power' over other members.

That being said, back to my original question and filtering out the useless and sarcastic messages left by other members, we will return to discuss the topic using logic, sources, and kind criticism. not douchebags who cant help but post useless information.

I did several google searches, and have owned several boats, and still unknownst to whether or not insurance in mandatory. I didn't ask durrr do you thinks i should get insurance or not???11... I merely asked what was legally required. I thank Canehdianman, JB_AOL, bubba 96, and Ishpah for contributing worthy information to this discussion.

Now, to the facts...

Canada wide required documents:

Pleasure craft licence or registration
you are required either LICENSE or REGISTRATION.
Licenses can be acquired through filling out & mailing a form, along with bill of sale and copy of ID. you will get a 'license' back in the mail, its just a piece of paper from Transport Canada with your name, address, description of boat. Your license number is displayed on the bow of your vessel and used to identify it during emergencies.

Registration
This is to identify ownership and officially have a name for your boat

Transfer of ownership
This is the previous owners license sheet as well as the correct bill of sale, this is valid for up to 90 days from sale to allow for your to license the boat in your own name.

Hull Serial Number (HIN)
after 1981, all vessels built are required to have a HIN and easily displayed on the starboard side of the transom, or near there.

Compliance Notice
This is the placard displaying the maximum engine power, occupants, weight load.

Proof of competency
This is your Pleasure Craft Operators Card, not to be confused with your license. This is required to show you have completed the boat safety course, which covers all bases from towing your boat, sharing the waters, and which lights to display when you are spending the night in a fishing vessel.

There is NO Federal or Provincial law stating that insurance is required for your PWC. I called Transport Canada to verify this, rather than pretend I know the law. *cough*.

However, MOST docks/marinas have their own requirement for PWC insurance before you leave shore.

So the short answer is; there's no official mandatory law requiring insurance on your boat to take it out, but beware the waterway you are using might.

[edit] Cowtown Dave and Bigdad013 you are both correct.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM

Good post.
FYI - The compliancy notice is not always mandatory. For example if you import a boat from the US for personal use, the compliance notice is not a required.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Good post.
FYI - The compliancy notice is not always mandatory. For example if you import a boat from the US for personal use, the compliance notice is not a required.
I wondered why I couldn't find mine...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM

It is a royal PITA to apply for a compliancy notice as a boat importer.
Canadian dealers will use this as a scare tactic to convince you that you shouldn't buy a boat state side...
You really need to dig into the fine print to find that they are not required for personal use watercraft.
I keep a copy of the rules on board, just in case I encounter a water patrol who doesn't know his stuff.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM

I pay $480 full coverage for one year of coverage on my jet boat, and pay it with no problem.
Cat
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM

Outstanding responses guys thanks to all.