Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Default Thoughts on Cooper AT/W

Looking at these tires for my son's 4Runner, they are on sale at Canadian Tire. Have had good luck with Coopers on work trucks usually the AT 3. He drives 15km to school on pavement all year round and into Calgary. We hope to get out with it hunting next fall. Anyone used these on a small truck or SUV?
Old 01-29-2019, 03:36 PM

I put a set on my Ranger, 265/75/16 in July, have about 4000 km on them. The reviews on them were good and I got a smokin deal on them from CT.
My thoughts so far.
- a little noisier then my old Wrangler AT's but, not much
-very good on dry roads, truck tracks very straight and doesn't wander,
excellent grip in corners ( mt or loaded)
-same goes for wet roads
-good on icy roads, especially in 4x4 (Ranger has a light back end)
-same goes for snowy roads and deep snow
-very good on gravel and dirt roads
-okay in the wet muddy stuff
Yep, I'd recommend them. Hope that helps.

Tim
Old 01-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Traction is good off road mud or snow . A bit loud for my liking on pavement. Wear well … overall if you are doing gravel roads and street , 8-10
Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 PM

I put 50k on my set from Canadian Tire, Tacoma double cab. I don’t find them noisy, but 34yrs in a PowerPlant may have hampered my hearing. They are a step up on the Kevlar Wranglers, but this year I found them lacking on ice. I bit the bullet and went to a dedicated set of winters, Nokian Hak9’s, no comparison on my truck. That said the Coopers have worn well, and traction was decent just not enough for my liking with all the ice we seem to have now.

They will go back on in the Spring.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 PM

Default me too

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=240
or
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...re-review.html
or
https://expeditionportal.com/cooper-discoverer-atw/
or
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cooper-a-tw.412351/
and when you just think you have it all figured out
those duratracs are on sale too, but the bfg sure look pretty
What size and how much did they quote you?
get the triangle mastercard from their that'll save you another 40-50$.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM

I used them on my now written off 98 gmc 4wd. Can Tire had a great deal on and I had to try them for the price. Had no complaints, worked good enough in snow and ice, no issues with water and ok on dry. Probably not as good as Nokians like others have said, but I was happy enough with them and would have bought them again if they were on sale.

Full price? I would buy something better.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM

I think they fill a niche for those who would rather not have separate sets of summers and winters. Everything with tires is a trade-off, winter compounds wear much faster if run in summer temps, hard summer compound won’t brake well on ice. I had a set that I ran on a long wheelbase Savana 2500 and they were good, no summer complaints at all and their winter performance was pretty good, though it did fall short of the Nokian Hakk LT’s I had on it previously. Treadwear was about what I expected, more on the drive axles and that was mostly attributed to an incident where I was stuck with my cargo trailer in tow and had a lot of spinning and digging in my own cul-de-sac when the thick snowpack softened up during a chinook. A 4x4 would have not had the same issue, so now I drive a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 because that Savana died last January.

They go on sale with regularity and offer a pretty good price point so I think the value is there. The AT pattern isn’t anything I can comment on in terms of off reading due to running them on a 2WD van (1WD in reality) but I towed with them a lot in winter from Calgary to Edmonton and back last winter while hauling a 16’ x 7’ cargo trailer weighing around 5500 to 8000 lbs depending on my cargo load (usually it was 5500, only one real heavy trip). I’d buy them again if I were to just want one set for year round use, though for the new rig I’m getting dedicated winters next year (this year the factory AT’s were still fairly fresh and the new van costs ate up the budget and then some)

I saw some on alpineguy’s 4x4 when I was over fixing his boiler, perhaps he’ll chime in?
Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM
AO Sponsor

It is a decent tire for sure. Not as aggressive as some and more than others. It is considered mid-tier brand. It isn't anything I would consider a poor product by any means. It all comes down to what characteristics you prefer for the budget you allow yourself.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Voracio Blacklion worst tire ever for traction

I bought these for my Ranger 4x4 the fall before last and they are absolutely terrible in the snow and ice for traction. The poorest traction I have ever experienced. And they weren’t even all that much cheaper than the common brands; somewhere around $60 less for the set of four. They’re nice on dry pavement, quiet, smooth, seem to be lasting wellbut any hint of ice look out. Can’t wait to replace them.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM

Like Caber said, if you're looking for one "swiss army knife" tire for all year - this is a pretty good one. And they are winter rated (snowflake logo) so you can drive them in BC. I've currently got them on my F250 and find it a good match to the truck. Noise isn't an issue given the decibels my V10 puts out, and I've been very happy with tread wear and performance on snow and ice when in 4x4. Does well on gravel too.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:33 PM

Default brother cooper at3 xlt

https://trail4runner.com/2019/01/25/...t3-xlt-review/
never thought of the cooper at3 xlt but this and the at3 4s, might be a bit better as they last longer.
in 265/17/70
the Atw goes for 900ish, at3 4s 1130 ish,duratracs 1150, bfg 1380, and lots of the reviews are saying the coopers new silica seems to be performing better than the gold standard bfg.
Any other cooper feedback greatly welcomed.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 PM

I have run the at3s my dad runs the atws and my uncle runs the all weather xt4s. They are all great tires though obviously the atws and xt4s are the best choice for winter.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 PM

I have the AT/3 LT version of these tires

They are a little thicker and heavier than the AT/W however essentially the same tire.

They are more or less bullet proof - I have had them on for 4 years and still have lots of tread depth remaining.

I also saw the sale at CT (which end today I believe) - considered picking up a set and just keeping them but alas space is always an issue -- outdoor gear takes up lots of room!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
I have the AT/3 LT version of these tires

They are a little thicker and heavier than the AT/W however essentially the same tire.

They are more or less bullet proof - I have had them on for 4 years and still have lots of tread depth remaining.

I also saw the sale at CT (which end today I believe) - considered picking up a set and just keeping them but alas space is always an issue -- outdoor gear takes up lots of room!
The AT/W's do come in LT load ratings as well as P-metric, I have a set in load range E.

To add to my previous review, I'd rate them higher in winter than Hankook Dynapro AT/M's which I had on another Savana 2500, those things were not particularly good at braking on snow and ice.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:41 PM

Bought a set of these AT/W in November of 2018, for my 2007 Pathfinder.... love them and would actually consider putting them on my truck too if I could get them on sale again..
Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Default We bought them

So with only a couple days left in the Canadian Tire sale and reading mostly positive reviews we went with the Cooper AT/W 265/70R16 for 165 each plus 100 for install. First impressions are: decent looking tire, road noise is fine, they track well, traction on snow and ice has been great. So far so good especially for the price.
Thanks everyone that took time to share an opinion.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 PM

Those Cooper AT/W tires cycle on sale quite routinely, sometimes as much as every other week, perhaps a longer in the summer though. When I got mine I waited until the tire sale coincided with a bonus CT money weekend and got something like $64 in CT money on my CT Mastercard in addition to the sale price.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Just put a set on my 07 4runner couple weeks ago, 265/70/17's, and so far i like em. Bit noisier than some new, but excellent hard pack snow preformance. Can't comment on too much else. 700 and change otd