Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 02:05 PM

Default New e bike for hunting

Picked up this baby today can’t wait to get out on it. 14 speed no derailleur and no rear cassette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15C3A59A-507E-4A5D-B6AC-8718FCAC6C74.jpg (31.4 KB, 457 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:18 PM

Great way to access some tough spots. Saw a fella come out once with a moose quarter on his pedal bike. Looked like a great way to get meat out.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:54 PM

Any more details on the bike?
Old 02-28-2024, 10:13 PM

It’s a Bakcou Mule Jager 1000 watt. 14 speed Rohloff speed hub with ultra mid drive motor, 48v 25ah battery and camo of course.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:28 AM

Slick looking Bike I'm really thinking about getting one for myself!
Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
It’s a Bakcou Mule Jager 1000 watt. 14 speed Rohloff speed hub with ultra mid drive motor, 48v 25ah battery and camo of course.
Nice looking bike, what do they run at $3K or so ???

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:21 AM

I paid $7700 regular price is $9600 with tax
Old 02-29-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Great way to access some tough spots. Saw a fella come out once with a moose quarter on his pedal bike. Looked like a great way to get meat out.
Pulled my bull moose out over a mile in three trips this year.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Pulled my bull moose out over a mile in three trips this year.
Nice. This fella had a fat bike and a couple friends so that probably helped too. I grabbed a pic but it won’t upload for some reason.
The weather definitely helped him but the mud he mentioned was awful to pedal through.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I paid $7700 regular price is $9600 with tax
Hey Elk did you look at the Vamoose Super Mammoth and make any comparisons? The Vamoose has a 750 Watt Front Motor, a 750 Watt Rear Motor and 26" X 4.8" Fat Tires. The front and rear motors can be run independantly or in tandum. Comes in Camo and is approx. $5,000.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Hey Elk did you look at the Vamoose Super Mammoth and make any comparisons? The Vamoose has a 750 Watt Front Motor, a 750 Watt Rear Motor and 26" X 4.8" Fat Tires. The front and rear motors can be run independantly or in tandum. Comes in Camo and is approx. $5,000.
I wanted to get away from derailleur and cassette as I have trashed two of them in the last 2 years on my quietkat. Not a fan of hub motors and ultra mid drive is the best there is right now.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:08 PM

When you say you trashed those bikes I hope your warranty looked after you? You must work your e bikes pretty hard! Just to be transparent, I have the Vamoose but I have not really put it to work yet. Time will tell but I think I will fail long before the bike does.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:46 PM

Bitrix has a nice drive system on there high power stuff, belt drive for the motor and chain drive for the pedals.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-29-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
When you say you trashed those bikes I hope your warranty looked after you? You must work your e bikes pretty hard! Just to be transparent, I have the Vamoose but I have not really put it to work yet. Time will tell but I think I will fail long before the bike does.
Nothing wrong with bike just had to replace parts
Old 03-01-2024, 07:21 AM

I’ve also been looking at bikes. Vamoose does look impressive first hand. I’m not too educated on all the systems yet. Elk can you explain cassette? Thx
Old 03-01-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
I’ve also been looking at bikes. Vamoose does look impressive first hand. I’m not too educated on all the systems yet. Elk can you explain cassette? Thx
That’s is where the chain sits on the back wheel for the gears some people call it a sprocket
Old 03-01-2024, 08:09 AM

Derailleur and exposed gear set. The derailleur moves the chain from one gear to another. They are kind of delicate, doesn't take a big hit to break one or put it out of adjustment.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-01-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:36 PM

Cool bike.

I have both e and manual bikes. The e-bike goes through parts way quicker than the manual bike.
The extra weight of the ebike causes tires to wear more quickly, particularly the rear.
The extra weight and increased speed necessitate more frequent brake maintenance.
The extra power causes increased chain stretch and sprocket wear. This wouldn't apply to bikes with hub motors.

To the OP. What do they say about the maintenance on the drive system on your new bike? More? Less? Easier? More difficult? It seems like a system to consider when next time rolls around.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Cool bike.

I have both e and manual bikes. The e-bike goes through parts way quicker than the manual bike.
The extra weight of the ebike causes tires to wear more quickly, particularly the rear.
The extra weight and increased speed necessitate more frequent brake maintenance.
The extra power causes increased chain stretch and sprocket wear. This wouldn't apply to bikes with hub motors.

To the OP. What do they say about the maintenance on the drive system on your new bike? More? Less? Easier? More difficult? It seems like a system to consider when next time rolls around.
Once a year or 4000 miles just change the oil in hub takes about 15 minutes. Everything else is general maintenance
Old 03-01-2024, 04:09 PM

They need to make some hunting zones that are walk in or e bikes only and no horses or even gas engines are not allowed.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:13 PM

I had no idea those things were that expensive!
Old 03-02-2024, 04:29 PM

I got mine from costco for $1600 and it worked great for 2 elk hunging sesons. Save tons of time walking towards my spots and once the elk were down, it took me back to my truck really fast too.

It is a lot of fun when I take it to the sherwood park shooting range. I ride it to 300 meters and come back after checking my targets at 300 meters and I see people still walking toward 100 yards target. They look at my as if I am an alien
Old 03-02-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Might want to check your regs. Here a motor over 500 watts is classified as a motor vehicle,same restrictions as a motor cycle. I live in BC your regs might be different.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
Might want to check your regs. Here a motor over 500 watts is classified as a motor vehicle,same restrictions as a motor cycle. I live in BC your regs might be different.
Regs are the same here in AB. Over 500 watts would be considered a vehicle under TSA. On the back trails would be an OHV, need insurance, reg, plate, front and rear light. If you're dropping a couple thousand on a bike, insurance and reg is minor.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Regs are the same here in AB. Over 500 watts would be considered a vehicle under TSA. On the back trails would be an OHV, need insurance, reg, plate, front and rear light. If you're dropping a couple thousand on a bike, insurance and reg is minor.
Actually the TSA references the Federal motor vehicle safety regulation definition of a power assisted bicycle. That Federal definition has been repealed so technically we don’t have a definition of when an e-bike is considered to be a motorized vehicle. The current industry standard has three classes of E bike, 1,2, and 3. Currently BC recognizes class 1 as non motorized and class 2 and 3 as motorized. We are waiting for Parks and Lands here to adopt a standard. My guess is it will be class 1 non motorized like most jurisdictions have gone. Class 1 means no throttle, assist stops the moment you stop pedalling, and max speed 32kmh. There is no longer a reference to motor wattage in the classes. Anticipating this rule I bought a Rocky Mountain Growler power play. I would hate to have spent 4-10,000 on a quiet Kat, or other just to find out it will possibly only be allowed on trails allowing motorized uses.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Actually the TSA references the Federal motor vehicle safety regulation definition of a power assisted bicycle. That Federal definition has been repealed so technically we don’t have a definition of when an e-bike is considered to be a motorized vehicle. The current industry standard has three classes of E bike, 1,2, and 3. Currently BC recognizes class 1 as non motorized and class 2 and 3 as motorized. We are waiting for Parks and Lands here to adopt a standard. My guess is it will be class 1 non motorized like most jurisdictions have gone. Class 1 means no throttle, assist stops the moment you stop pedalling, and max speed 32kmh. There is no longer a reference to motor wattage in the classes. Anticipating this rule I bought a Rocky Mountain Growler power play. I would hate to have spent 4-10,000 on a quiet Kat, or other just to find out it will possibly only be allowed on trails allowing motorized uses.

Wow that's interesting. I know a lot of peace and police officers that charge individuals who don't have licenses due to drinking related charges in the past. And that's for motor vehicle on the road. The prosecutor's direction, if they're not pedaling it's not considered muscular powered.

Last edited by ramonmark; 03-03-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:45 PM

It's been repealed at the Federal level for over 3 years. I know parks and Lands are working with Provincial lawyers on what direction to go. Hopefully we'll get a decision soon. Maybe some who have class 2 like quietKat etc. won't be in a hurry for a decision.