Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
X2
x infinity
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
It's really too bad, some people just enjoy killing the animal, and don't want to put in the effort to do anything else, including eat it. If your not into it for the meat, don't bother.

Kevin
agreed.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 AM

Have seen properly cut/taken care of game last 5 or more years in the freezer. Gets better with age. Seems only the fat freezer burns. As for legal ,yes it is . As for ethical ,yes it is. This person deserves kudo`s At least they are trying to give it away to some sort of use. Better to spend your time crtisizing someone that truly dewerves it
Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Is this true? You can no longer gift wild game meat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can still give away wild meat.
I looked and found this:

Quote:
Animals Slaughtered at an Abattoir

An abattoir is a facility where animals are slaughtered. Slaughter is undertaken for the purpose of processing meat from animals into food for human consumption. An abattoir may also cut, wrap, freeze, cure, smoke, or age meat.

The Meat Inspection Act (Alberta) provides for the inspection and licensing of abattoirs. ARD licenses abattoirs and inspects processes and products to ensure compliance with the legislation.

Inspection services are provided to provincial abattoirs by meat inspectors from the ARD's Regulatory Services Division. The meat inspector’s participation is necessary if the meat is to be marketed. In order to sell, offer for sale, transport or deliver meat to any person all of the following must occur:

the animal must be inspected before slaughter (ante-mortem inspection),
the slaughter must take place at a provincial abattoir or federal establishment,
the animal must be inspected following slaughter (post-mortem inspection),
the meat must be judged by an inspector to be healthy and fit for human consumption, and
the meat must be stamped with an inspection legend or labelled appropriately.

A person cannot sell, barter, give away or otherwise transfer meat to another person (or even offer to do so) unless all of these conditions are met.

Inspected versus Uninspected Meat
Meat and meat products inspected under either the Meat Inspection Act (Canada) or the Meat Inspection Act (Alberta) may be sold in Alberta. Inspected meat is obtained from an animal that is slaughtered at a provincially-licensed or federally-registered facility. The animal is inspected both before and after slaughter, deemed fit for human consumption and an inspection legend is affixed. This meat can then be sold or given away.

Uninspected meat includes wild game and animals killed on the owner’s premises. Uninspected meat is only for the consumption of persons who form part of the animal owner’s household. Uninspected meat cannot be sold or given away to others.

The sale of uninspected meat is a serious offence. Under the Meat Inspection Act (Alberta), it is an offence to sell or offer for sale any meat or meat products, which have not been inspected either in a provincially-licensed abattoir or a federally-registered establishment. There are fines of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment for any person who contravenes the provincial legislation.
Another member (Au revoir, Gopher) found this a couple years ago. And other info on government sites offered conflicting information in regards to this. I believe I first heard that giving away wild meat was against the law from a F+W officer.

It's ok to feed to family living in the household or employees living with you, according to what I found.

But I have also heard that it can be given to an individual, but not a food bank, or government organization.

I know that F+W used to give the meat to needy families, but can no longer do so to the best of my knowledge.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I looked and found this:

Another member (Au revoir, Gopher) found this a couple years ago. And other info on government sites offered conflicting information in regards to this. I believe I first heard that giving away wild meat was against the law from a F+W officer.

It's ok to feed to family living in the household or employees living with you, according to what I found.

But I have also heard that it can be given to an individual, but not a food bank, or government organization.

I know that F+W used to give the meat to needy families, but can no longer do so to the best of my knowledge.
That talks about slaughter which I think refers to a domestic animal not wild game.

I know you cannot sell or barter for game meat but I don't think giving is in anyway illegal.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That talks about slaughter which I think refers to a domestic animal not wild game.

I know you cannot sell or barter for game meat but I don't think giving is in anyway illegal.
Look on then 2nd to last paragraph where it says this:

Quote:
Uninspected meat includes wild game and animals killed on the owner’s premises. Uninspected meat is only for the consumption of persons who form part of the animal owner’s household. Uninspected meat cannot be sold or given away to others.
I did not "think" giving it away was illegal either. Further information seems to indicate otherwise.

This information could be outdated already; I would love to be shown where it is legal. Bogus law, if you ask me. Though I could see an argument for it, as a way to crack down on poaching, or silly lawsuits concerning consumption.

Not so much from the common sense side.

Pureblood!
Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:Uninspected meat includes wild game and animals killed on the owner’s premises. Uninspected meat is only for the consumption of persons who form part of the animal owner’s household. Uninspected meat cannot be sold or given away to others.

I wonder if that is for farm raised wild game only?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Quote:Uninspected meat includes wild game and animals killed on the owner’s premises. Uninspected meat is only for the consumption of persons who form part of the animal owner’s household. Uninspected meat cannot be sold or given away to others.

I wonder if that is for farm raised wild game only?
No, then it is not "wild". It may be called exotic or something, but wild means wild. Uncontained.

Pureblood!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Hey guys

Watched Ridge Reeper again last night.

Buddy made a shot on a Nice Grizzly that was facing right at him very low percentage shot even Shockey said that’s not a great shot to take the bear wasn’t going anywhere couple seconds or minutes and he would have given him a good broad side shot.

Anyone else see it