Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Default Tips for a new archerer

Hey guys looking to get into the sport an hopefully hunt next year any tips or does an don'ts you could throw my way also some mid ranged priced bow suggestions would be great thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

I'm a bow tech and Hoyt fan. Fathers shot Mathews since the 90s. Once you take an animal with archery tackle you will hate rifle. Take time and don't rush when you do get a shot. That is my biggest let down I rush myself and miss and I've bow hunted for 15 years now. It's the most rewarding way to hunt. I'm a believer in top quality gear. Including sight arrows rest and bow and broad head not saying cheaper won't do the trick but that's how I am.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention how it will frustrate the crap out of you some days lol some days I could put all 3 arrows into a tiny group the size of a toonie and some days I give up when I can't hit a 3 inch group but practise as much as you can and build your confidence.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I forgot to mention how it will frustrate the crap out of you some days lol some days I could put all 3 arrows into a tiny group the size of a toonie and some days I give up when I can't hit a 3 inch group but practise as much as you can and build your confidence.
Thanks man it just seems like the ultimate way to hunt to me an it will allow me to put another whitetail in the freezer win win

Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

The first deer I ever shot was a 3x2 mule deer that might have pushed 40" I was 14 and to me it meant more then the 170 deer I took for my first whitetail. I'm not the most successful archery hunter. I've arrowed 4-5 mule deer, 1 moose when I was 15, and one elk in 2009 and I can't even count the does I've arrowed usually both tags were filled with archery till they changed it to one tag here and other one in a different zone. Sure there is a lot of times if rifle hunting I would have tagged out but hey to me it's not about hanging a tag.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
The first deer I ever shot was a 3x2 mule deer that might have pushed 40" I was 14 and to me it meant more then the 170 deer I took for my first whitetail. I'm not the most successful archery hunter. I've arrowed 4-5 mule deer, 1 moose when I was 15, and one elk in 2009 and I can't even count the does I've arrowed usually both tags were filled with archery till they changed it to one tag here and other one in a different zone. Sure there is a lot of times if rifle hunting I would have tagged out but hey to me it's not about hanging a tag.
How does the archery tags work out here is it all still special draw for moose an mule an elk

Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Banned

Depends some areas you can hunt moose till rifle opens same with mule deer but when rifle opens it goes to draw so you cannot archery hunt anymore. Some areas you have to draw to archery hunt as well
Old 10-22-2016, 09:38 PM

So I can go buy a moose an mule deer archery tag at say beginning of August?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:50 PM
Banned

Depending on zone yes. Like wmu 330 you can't hunt moose during archery season but wmu 340 you can
Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Cool thanks man I see i got lots to learn on just the archery regulations

Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Yep it's a lot. Easier to focus on the zone you plan to hunt and just read everything about it
Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Go to an archery shop.
Don't look at price tags etc.
Shoot different bows and see what fits you best.
Might be a long day or two but don't get caught up in fandangled products.
Fine the bow that finds you, add the accessories on it and shoot it again to fine what you like and are comfortable with.
Practice...don't make any adjustments when your tired and frustrated...it's a quick learning curve and fun too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 PM

With archery season coming to an end start scanning kijiji for those guys that got all the gear and didn't enjoy bow hunting. You can get some really nice bows for a good price.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM

I really like my bowtech carbon icon. Midrange price, very fast. Lightweight. A bow is very personal. I tried a bunch at Jimbows before buying
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I really like my bowtech carbon icon. Midrange price, very fast. Lightweight. A bow is very personal. I tried a bunch at Jimbows before buying
I'm deciding between this and the powermax

Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
With archery season coming to an end start scanning kijiji for those guys that got all the gear and didn't enjoy bow hunting. You can get some really nice bows for a good price.
That is pretty smart. I always wait for post hunting season sales etc.... Although you will want to try shooting different bows as you might like the way certain ones feel. With bows it is worth a little extra cash invested in a bow you're comfortable and confident in shooting. My first bow was a lower entry level bow and I was happy with it until I decided I was really becoming interested in archery and wanted to bow hunt and upgraded later on. As Pikecrazed said some guys will buy very nice bows, shoot for a few months, and want to sell it quick. Keep an eye out at bow stores for used ones, or on kijiji, Canadian Gun Nutz, or the Buy and Sell on this forum.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoscaire View Post
That is pretty smart. I always wait for post hunting season sales etc.... Although you will want to try shooting different bows as you might like the way certain ones feel. With bows it is worth a little extra cash invested in a bow you're comfortable and confident in shooting. My first bow was a lower entry level bow and I was happy with it until I decided I was really becoming interested in archery and wanted to bow hunt and upgraded later on. As Pikecrazed said some guys will buy very nice bows, shoot for a few months, and want to sell it quick. Keep an eye out at bow stores for used ones, or on kijiji, Canadian Gun Nutz, or the Buy and Sell on this forum.
Will do thanks man