Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Huskemaw Blue Diamond Series Scopes

What is it that I here that Huskemaw Blue Diamond Series Scopes 5-20x50 Rifle Scopes are better then Nightforce,Sightron and or Leopold with that range anyone know or have a opinion on them as I am looking to get a long range scope for target and Varmint hunting. :
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

I would not put the blue diamond or any huskemaw above any of the mentioned brands. Glass is less than impressive, another case of marketing winning over individual research.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I would not put the blue diamond or any huskemaw above any of the mentioned brands. Glass is less than impressive, another case of marketing winning over individual research.
+1 I was not at all impressed with the Huskemaw.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 PM

+2
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Nightforce has some of their scopes now "made in USA" completely.. (believe the F-1 ?? line, if I'm not mistaken) IS fully American. However, the nxs is only assembled in USA. Not "made" in USA.. that said & bs aside, the nxs line has major components "made in Japan" Which coincidentally enough come from the same manufacturer Huskemaw components come from.. but take that with a grain of salt*

The Huskemaw is a good scope, but to say better than ALL the rest may be a stretch until they've been around long enough to have earned the right to claim that. Nightforce and Leupold have each their own things going for them (and not) The advantage to those are simply that they've earned their-own reputations over time, like Huskemaw is doing now.. I don't think the "general public" has accepted them for what they are... and they aren't given the credit they possibly deserve just yet

I shoot one Huskemaw, have shot Zeiss many many years, recently even Hensoldt & less recently Leupolds.. I'm not biased and now only shoot what I can find confidence and reliability with. And I get that outta my huskemaw (it's ironically enough mounted on my sheep-rifle) I can honestly say that "like-classed" Leupolds (for one) are sliding in reputation and probably losing business to the Huskemaws & Vortex's & such of the world working to earn their place on the totem pole.. they fill a null and void that Nightforce has priced itself out of, Leupold has burnt reputaion in and others that will go un-named plainly don't measure up to

That's basically the story, in my opinion.. and a nutshell
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Anyone that says that it is better than a nightforce is blowing smoke. My guess from what I read and see is that the nightforce is used a lot by the US forces. I don't hear of them using huskemaws. There are a lot of forums like 24hr campfire that do a lot of comparisons. Some love them, a lot don't. I've heard enough bad that it would not be my 1st choice. My son had a nightforce and what a piece of engineering. Way too heavy for me though. You almost need a turret mounted on your truck to carry it. I have no experience with sightron but have seen a lot of positives & virtually no negatives. I've also read that it's more of a chevy/dodge/ford thing so whatever a person wants I guess. I am looking for something a bit different myself but am going to stick with leupold. Never had a leupold I didn't like.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM

+3 leupold CDS is like half the price and better in low light.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Default Huskemaw vs Nightforce

I had a Huskemaw on one of my rifles but changed it out for a Nightforce! As siad the optics are not in the same "class". Nightforce is much more superior. As well, nightforce gives me the option of any bullet weight with their MOA increments vs Huskemaw's individual turret? Not that that was the determining factor -Optic quality says it all!!!
Also ever wonder why the "original Huskemaw guys" (Davidson's) are now shooting Nightforce?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
I had a Huskemaw on one of my rifles but changed it out for a Nightforce! As siad the optics are not in the same "class". Nightforce is much more superior. As well, nightforce gives me the option of any bullet weight with their MOA increments vs Huskemaw's individual turret? Not that that was the determining factor -Optic quality says it all!!!
Also ever wonder why the "original Huskemaw guys" (Davidson's) are now shooting Nightforce?
People will shoot what ever product sponsors them....they will stand behind that product until the sponsorship runs out....then watch what they have to say about the product when they aren't sponsored anymore....

LC
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
People will shoot what ever product sponsors them....they will stand behind that product until the sponsorship runs out....then watch what they have to say about the product when they aren't sponsored anymore..
And often someone on a television show will tell everyone that they couldn't have done it with out their (insert sponsors product) , when the truth is that they could have done it with pretty much any other manufacturer's product. In same cases, their accomplishments are in spite of the sponsor's product.

That is exactly why I am hesitant to trust the endorsement of any product by any person involved with producing television shows, or writing magazine articles.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM

haha ya the guys that created huskemaw backed out of the company and switched to night force, an obviously superior scope side by side.says enough
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM

They must be awesome to be advertised alongside such other phenomenal brands as Scorpion, Vortex, and King Optics. Not sure which emoticon represents sarcasm. Crappy glass lacking clarity. They only positive reference I can think of comes from the guys on Flatliners, but they seem willing to put their name behind anything.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 PM

I don't own a huskemaw or nightforce but have compared both. IMO the huskemaw doesn't come close to the quality of the nightforce. I will be buying a long range scope before year end and it will definitely be a nightforce.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone look for in a long range scope? What are the important features for you?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Features and qualities like size, weight, function and repeatabilty come to my mind.. from a hunters stand-point for-sure

How many of you guys running down Huskemaw use horses, or have considered a horseback hunt for sometime in your future? ..has anyone tried nightforce in a saddle scabbard, for fit (first of all/if you can get it inside in the first place) OR comfort under your leg while riding in..? Let alone to be pulled out without re-zeroing windage or elevation due to turns due to the movement of a horse??? Nightforce, sightron, Leupold.. whoever* None are designed purposely to work without frustration or compromise in that exact situation. Huskemaws turret caps, low-pro parralax knob AND shorter compact housing allows for it though*

How many of you backpackhunters have read the countless threads regarding shaving weight in your packs, (on your guns) and/or cutting bulk ? (all the while keeping the advantages of a LR scope) Insert Huskemaw again* The 3-12 is one full pound lighter and much more compact in size (Vs heavy/long 2lb Nightforce) ..nevermind just ounces, Huskemaw has "pound" measurement advantages here* Sheep guys. Tell me THAT isn't an advantage..?

Finally, who of you guys shooting paper/ or longrange/ hunters or whoever, have ever found frustration shooting or practicing in wind?? And what kinda reticle is in your scope? ...No Mil reticle (including those with 1/2 mil reticles) is fine enough or "simple enough" and un-cluttered enough to use for as quick a holdover as what Huskemaws windage reticle is... in my opinion, it's plain and simply a very simple easy reticle to use without confusion. I shoot Mil and MOA and have scopes of MANY types... Huskemaws is hands-down SIMPLEST to wrap your head around and use in the field.

FROM A HUNTERS STANDPOINT, considering what (any) other scope-manufacturer offers to the LR Hunter/mountain Hunter/ backpacker crowd, (regardless of $$$ or brand) Huskemaw is the nicest fit "all around"

No $3500 Hensoldt, Schmidt & Bender, Ziess, Leupold (or otherwise for that matter) of ANY price range offers a simpler or more "well rounded" Hunters scope with even relatively comparable features.. don't care who ya are or where you look. Huskemaw has it's place.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone look for in a long range scope? What are the important features for you?
It holds zero in all conditions. The clarity and brightness allow precise placing of the crosshairs in all conditions. Either the BDC reticle matches the load being used, or if you twist turrets, the scope tracks precisely, and repeatedly. For hunting, I prefer a BDC reticle.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
To me a long range scope must have turrets that match the reticle (I use mil/mil), and I want exposed,zero lock turrets and I prefer a first focal plane reticle. As far as magnification power and objective lense size it depends on the intended purpose for the gun/scope.
Edit; I agree with elkhunter the scope must be clear and have accurate adjustments.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Scope

Huskamaw scopes are over priced for the quality. If they were $1000 then it wouldn't be a bad deal. If your going to spend 1800 get a nightforce