Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Default Crawling Valley This Weekend Anyone ?

Was thinking of heading up a tour to Crawling Valley this weekend. Saturday is my best day but could do Sunday as well. I have been fishing there for a long time winter and summer and done quite well there. Many have asked me to lead a tour and this weekend would work good for any that would like to join up. I don't fish where most do, so going around the back way and down some oil lease roads is the trick. If anyone is interested shoot me a p.m. I already have a few interested already and though maybe we can get another group going.
Here is a few of our catches from the last few years:

Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 PM

nice pics, i want some big burbs, never got one yet. how far of a drive from calgary are we talking here, including your backroad travels. i might be able to get a friend with a quad, split with me on some gas for the truck, depending on travel time and such
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Default CV

Crawling Valley if you have not been there is about 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours (depends how you drive) east of Calgary right next to the town of Bassano. You could bring the quad but it is not necessary. The area I head to you can either drive right out or it is not far off the shore where the fishing is. A real short walk at best. Yes the burbs get good size there. We have caught most in the 4-6 lb range and several in the 8-10 lb in that spot. For anybody interested in meeting up and we have a few wanting to go already. I would like to be out there by sunrise 8 ish so we can get in a good day. Wallys and Pike bite right through the day. For those interested we havenever caught any but have seen lots of good size perchon the camera at this area so bring your perch equipment and bait as well as the big stuff. Remember Wallys are C&R here so you can't bring em back. Pike 3 @ 63 and the usual for burbs and perch.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM

Default Saturday weather for CVR

Here is the Saturday weather forecast so far. Wind looks pretty good too but don't forget the guide ropes for your tents as it can howl out there.

Details for Saturday Jan, 22
Select a Different Day Wednesday 1/19 Thursday 1/20 Friday 1/21 Saturday 1/22 Sunday 1/23 Monday 1/24 Tuesday 1/25 Wednesday 1/26 on premium Thursday 1/27 on premium Friday 1/28 on premium Saturday 1/29 on premium Sunday 1/30 on premium Monday 1/31 on premium Tuesday 2/1 on premium Wednesday 2/2 on premium

Saturday Day
Partly sunnyHigh3°CRealFeel®:2°CView the Hour-By-Hour™ ForecastWinds:SW at 9Wind Gusts:14 Max UV Index:Low (1)Thunderstorm
Probability:0%Amount of Precipitation:0.0Amount of Rain:0.0Amount of Snow:0.00Hours of Precipitation:0 HrsHours of Rain:0 HrsHours of Daylight:7.7 Hrs
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Default So far

So far looking good for the weekend. Looks like 5 for sures and a couple of maybes. I typing off my galaxy right now as my internet at work filters out this site. I will post details later.
Ken
Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM

depends how drunk i get on friday night
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Default Maybe

Yes you are in the considered maybe class above.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
depends how drunk i get on friday night
x2, going to hockey game with the wife on a date! It's been a while.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM

I was going to hit PCR but I have never fished CV so maybe we will join you. Save me 3 hours driving too, more time to pull out fish.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Saturday

Looks like we have a good start to a fishing group/meet on Saturday.
Right now we have myself, Slingshotz, Iliketrout,Jimboy,redneckbyheart and some other friends meeting up. I think I may have missed someone. Trey and Nice Mustang maybe, depending on their hot dates on Friday night.LOL.

I send a map Friday night to your PM boxes with directions or if you wish to convoy out let me know and we can arrange a meeting point. Will and I will be leaving from the deep south and depends where you live as to what is the best route to go. If unsure drop me a pm.

Come on out for some fun and we can play on the ice. With most of the roads there snowed in I don't think we will have too much company on the far side of the lake. Remember there is a possibility there is too much snow to drive on so bring your sleds in case we have to walk out the last few hundred yards.

Ken
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Could always meet up at the gas station, grab a last minute coffee, whatever. wouldnt buy gas there if you can help it tho, its usually gouge time there. Might give me a chance to try out my new chains

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Default Let me know

Wayne
Let me know if you are coming and I will shoot you a map. We will be going in from the back side of the lake not the campground area.

Ken
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

CG..do use a different road than the Red rock road?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Wayne
Let me know if you are coming and I will shoot you a map. We will be going in from the back side of the lake not the campground area.

Ken
will do.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM

reason i ask is the last time me and the kid took red rock and turned at the white gate it wasnt plowed and it was deep ...even before the big storm
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Counties are getting the secondary roads done now, just did my route to work today so if theres no snow before Saturday it should be done. is that still EID country north of the highway? you can usually call the office and find out when the road should be done. Ken please PM me the map when you get home, my weekend is now wide open so we are going to hit CVR . anyone picking up the big bag of smelts at Stuporstore PM me please. Might give me a chance to try out some more of my super perch lures too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Would like to go if someone has room.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM

I would love to go check out CVR. I have never been there or even though about heading out there but have heard good things about the lake.

I won't be making it this weekend though since my buddy who wants to take me out would like to stay kind of close to lethbridge on saturday unless for some reason I can talk him into a longer trip.

Nate
Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Counties are getting the secondary roads done now, just did my route to work today so if theres no snow before Saturday it should be done. is that still EID country north of the highway? you can usually call the office and find out when the road should be done. Ken please PM me the map when you get home, my weekend is now wide open so we are going to hit CVR . anyone picking up the big bag of smelts at Stuporstore PM me please. Might give me a chance to try out some more of my super perch lures too.
WC im not sure what county it is.
i dont beleive the county maintains the lease roads.
if i come i'll grab the smelts for you...no problem
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Follow up

Just a follow up as a few have PM'd me on exactly the fish etc. in the lake.
The lake is known for it's good walleye fishing and lots in the larger size category and C&R only. We have had lots of success on jigs tipped with smelts or minnows in green,pink and sometimes white colors tipped with some minnows or smelts.
There are also lots of pike in the lake. There are a few monsters but I have found lots of those just keeper dinner size and up to about 10lbs. I have not caught bigger but have heard others but again not known for monsters. Pretty much anything you normally use to catch pike works here. Bring your big smelts and all the stuff you would use at any pike lake.
There are also lots of nice size burbs in here as well. My favorite fish to catch in the lake. Most we have caught in the 4-6 lb range but several in the 8-10 lb as well. They put up a great fight at those sizes and then try to get them up the hole. Fish them same as walleyes except right of the bottom. Mostly the bite is dusk and after dark but we have caught them during the day as well.
There also perch in this lake that no one I know ever talks about or fishes for that I know of. We have seen lots of them on the camera while fishing for the others but never tried as our bait is not geared towards them. If someone is into them I would suggest giving it a try as we have seen lots of them on that side of the lake. And to answer a couple others no whitefish that I am aware of but would not surprise me.

Hopefully that answers some of the questions some of you had on the pm's. I know some have not fished at this lake or these type fish much from the responses but come on out and learn from some that have. That is what we do in our group.
I will do a map up tomorrow and mark out the road. For those that know the area: it basically is a left turn at the crawling valley turn off from the hiway not the right turn that takes you to the campground. Follow the road until the red rock (Red painted boulder on side of the road) and turn right. Go down that road past the gas plant and watch for a cattleguard with lots of wellhead signs on your right. Take that to the right and follow straight ahead following the lake. It will eventually come down pretty close to the lake as there are a few wellheads further down close to the water. it then gets tricky as there are a few branch offs. Some go to the lake and some do not. Then you look for us or a group and follow the trail. i am pretty sure we should be ok to get close to the water as they always do. We may have to adjust how far down the lake to go due to some of don't want to walk far. With some luck maybe even drive on. I am suggesting bringing the sled to be sure. i am leaving my shack at home just in case. My partner Slingshotz will be driving the red Nissan pickup and I will pm my phone number and leave it on in case anyone needs directions or help. I will be the navigator and guide on this trip.
I will try to get the map done at work tomorrow as I have good software to draw lines and circles etc. for good directions.
Anything else shoot a pm and hopefully can answer.

Ken
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
WC im not sure what county it is.
i dont beleive the county maintains the lease roads.
if i come i'll grab the smelts for you...no problem
thank you, I have lots of tiny smelts but thats all you can find around here, good for burbs and walleye but not so much for big pike. although I did catch my biggest on a 2 inch minnow so you never know

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
thank you, I have lots of tiny smelts but thats all you can find around here, good for burbs and walleye but not so much for big pike. although I did catch my biggest on a 2 inch minnow so you never know
how big you want WC...sometimes i see 6-7 inchers there.
you have greyhound bus near you..i can send them that way 1 day service .
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
how big you want WC...sometimes i see 6-7 inchers there.
you have greyhound bus near you..i can send them that way 1 day service .
nah Im 30 miles from the depot. if someone coming down picks up an extra bag I will buy it off them, just the regular size is good

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Chubb, I'm definitely heading there on Saturday so I can get the smelts for Wayne if you're still unsure if you're going.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Chubb, I'm definitely heading there on Saturday so I can get the smelts for Wayne if you're still unsure if you're going.
right on.....i was just trying for a backup plan if i didnt go....hate to see anyone without the tackle they need
thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Default Saturday

Looks like a few more new folks coming out for the weekend.
I have sent out links to the 2 maps for all that have pm or emailed me. If you check your pm box or on my email list and did not receive let me know and I will get it off to you in case I missed your name.
Chubbdarter I didn't forget you but based on this am's conversation with Chris I know you know exactly where we will be going.
If anyone wants to convoy out let me know as well so we can make a meeting spot and time.

If anyone else wishes to join us, looks like a good group much like the last one at Spray or more. Maybe this time we can catch more and some bigger fish.

Ken
calgarygringo@hotmail or gmail.com
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Ken what time do you figure you will hit Bassano? I can meet up with you at the turn or at the gas station.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Dang, I wish I could make it out with you guys. Definitely a solid crew of fishermen!

Good luck fellas, I will be in Revelstoke slashing some deeeeeep on the steep and hopefully getting into some fish on Sunday.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM

We'll be coming from the the north so won't be going through bassano. But me and my buddy are 99% sure we will be there, but not arriving until 11-12 or so.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Default Time

Wayne
I have not discussed time with my pilot yet Will by the way but i hope to be coming by the turn off by 7:45-8:00 or so.
Pm me your phone and I can call you if you are not waiting at the turn off.

Ken