Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Default Accuracy of the Ruger # 1

Has anyone here had experience witht the Ruger no 1 in the Varmint model? Just wondering how accurate they tend to be in comparison to bolt rifles. I like the looks of them, have always wanted one but have heard they need to be tinkered with sometimes to get them to shoot.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 AM

The older ones did, but with the new forearm hangers they're good to go, Most guys re getting 1/2-3/4 inch groups with good ammo. I've wanted a Ruger no.1 in 25-06 for a while now.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM

I have more than a little experience with the Number 1, been messing with them for more than 25 years after my first ( and the WORST!)
in 243 Winchester.
The actually require not much more tinkering than most guns, just a different type of tinkering.
Without much work and a little judicious hand loading they can be made to be VERY accurate.
The last one I bought to flip in a trade BTW, was in 7mm mag, and fired 6 groups of three with none over 3/4", and most under 5/8", with factory partitions and NO tinkering - that is VERY acceptable accuracy IMO!
Cat
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM

I thought catinthehat would be all over this one
Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I've used my brother inlaws in 22 Hornet and really was impressed with it. Great for beavers an such, the only problem with it though was that I had to give it back to him.......
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have more than a little experience with the Number 1, been messing with them for more than 25 years after my first ( and the WORST!)
in 243 Winchester.
The actually require not much more tinkering than most guns, just a different type of tinkering.
Without much work and a little judicious hand loading they can be made to be VERY accurate.
The last one I bought to flip in a trade BTW, was in 7mm mag, and fired 6 groups of three with none over 3/4", and most under 5/8", with factory partitions and NO tinkering - that is VERY acceptable accuracy IMO!
Cat
I am looking at a .223 for gophers and the odd coyote. From what I have read online the new ones just about need a trigger replacement. Am looking at the varmint model. From your experience, what would you do to help them out?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
I am looking at a .223 for gophers and the odd coyote. From what I have read online the new ones just about need a trigger replacement. Am looking at the varmint model. From your experience, what would you do to help them out?
I have only shot two new ones , being made in the last 5 years or so, but both worked well - one was a .223 No.1V and the other a No.1A in .270.

First thing to do is to shoot the gun and find out of the triigger in fact needs to be replaced.
I change any that Ii intend to keep, however, I do that because I like messing with aftermarket stuff and doing a little customizing more than NEEDING to do a change up.
Most of the Rugers I have owned were quite fine after tuning the trigger.
The big thing, after working up a load, is to make sure the for end is not affecting groups, and to make sure the rib ( if the rifle comes with a quarter rib) is set up properly, and to make sure the scope seats in the rings properly.
BTW, Ruger rings are mated, so do not mix the rings up or even turn the ring on its base.
A little indexing mark helps this.....
Cat
Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM

how do you tune the trigger? and what kind of after market stuff? also any thoughts on a scope for a 1A in 243???
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheepatthewheel View Post
how do you tune the trigger? and what kind of after market stuff? also any thoughts on a scope for a 1A in 243???
Kepplinger makes a single set, Jard now offers a few different models, and Moyers makes a crude knock-off of the early factory part that had the sear engagement adjustment. Some have had success tuning the factory part, I have never got one to where I was happy.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Ruger #1

I took mine to the 1000yd shoot last month and did not embarrass myself.It has been tweaked.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Sullijr has a Moyers on his ruger, my "one ton gun" had a Moyers on it, and I have a had a few Canjars.
However, the best by far is the Kepplinger, which was on my long range 45/70 match rifle, that is getting turned into a retro stalker by Bill Leeper.
NO OTHER single set for the Ruger is as good!
cat