Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Stroke

Anyone here had a stroke? I had one about ten years ago at the age of 25. They didn't do surgery, as it was too risky. But my cerebral artery was physically crushed, shutting off blood flow to that part of my brain. I lost short term memory, had to learn to walk again, no balance for 6+ months. Close to death, but made it. Just wondering if anyone has been through something similar. I'm contemplating going to the ER right now. Something just doesn't feel right
Old 12-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Then get your butt down there! No sense taking chances. That’s what it’s for. Better safe than sorry! They will check you out.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Then get your butt down there! No sense taking chances. That’s what it’s for. Better safe than sorry! They will check you out.
X2
Old 12-16-2018, 02:43 PM

You're still online! Call 911 or call a friend now...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Gone Hunting

No stroke but I did have a episode of feeling something wasn't right.

It was horrible, not just the feeling but the accompanying side effects, or were they symptoms.

I think it is good advice to get yourself checked out.

In my case it was diagnosed as a gall bladder issue. They put me on a low fat diet and the problem went away. At present my quality of life is at about 50 percent of what it was ten years ago. But I'm still looking down at the dandelions and still hunting and fishing.
Can't ask for more then that at my age.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Ya wtf get going. They have amazing drugs now if caught early.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:54 PM

If something doesn't feel right and you think it maybe a stroke coming on,get your self into a med center right away,nothing wrong with being wrong ,but if your right on your thoughts it will be the best move of your life.So get going.Best of luck.

JD
Old 12-16-2018, 02:56 PM

get your ass there rfn!!!

do not mess around, it is well known that past survivors are able to feel onslaught. Get ahold of 911, if you go by ambulance you go to a room, if you go by truck you wait in admitting

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM

You posted this at 2:26 pm, now it's 2:58 pm, I hope you called 911 or got someone to rush you in to emerg!!!

Holy man!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM

can someone do a welfare check on bloopbloob?
Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Have not had one yet, but have called 911 three times in the last 2 years with family and friends that were presenting.
Time is brain-go before you can't
Old 12-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Strokes are one of the scariest things, most do not know anything is wrong until they try to speak or someone notices the signs. Being alone is bad, I sure hope everything is ok.

His is a phone # I do not have, has anyone got it that can call and see if everything is ok?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-16-2018, 07:35 PM

I had one 2 years ago, thank god I knew right away what was happening and that my friends had me to emerg in less than 5 mins. Take no chances. It doesn't take much of a clot or blockage to cause serious issues.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 PM

Hey all. I'm alive! Thanks for all the advice and concern.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-16-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Does anyone have Bloopbloob's number?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Hey all. I'm alive! Thanks for all the adivice and concern.
Disregard last post I didn't see that.

He's alive.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Hey all. I'm alive! Thanks for all the adivice and concern.
That’s Great! Hope all is well?
Cat
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Just wanted my first response to be quick. Appreciate all the concern. I'm young(ish), 36, but had a stroke at 25. My vertabrae crushed my cerebral artery in a freak accident. I Crawled on my hands and knees for help, very close to death. My funny feelings today were correct in my feelings of an issue. Went to the ER. The scar tissue has thickened in my damaged artery, my blood pressure is very high, and my heart rate is through the roof (190bpm+). Got some platelet inhibitors and more blood thinners, hopefully all will return back to normal soon, fingers crossed! And thanks again to all
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Wow good thing you made out alright!
Keep an eye on your condition , for sure!
Cat
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Man, you’re having a rough year, I sure hope things get better for you.

How is your wife making out?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 PM

I have been following this post through out the day knowing that the matter was out of our hands from the minute of your first post and from a similar experience.

First -- I am really glad you got help and are well.

Second -- I have a heart issue and I am on treatment program. The first time I had a problem of feeling unwell I stayed away from the hospital as I was not sure how bad the issue was and I did not want to inconvenience the staff in Emerg. My wife took me in and after several hours of treatment I was ready to be released but not before I got a serious lecture from the Cardiologist and head nurse. (Part of me hopes you got a similar lecture).

The Cardiac units are there for people like you and me. You feel anything wrong do not take a chance as it is your life -- get in and get looked at. That is why we have public health care. Even if they are busy if you are having a serious heart issues they will treat you in a hallway or the waiting room. Do not take the time to type a note on AO --- get into the nearest ER.

Glad you know what the issue is and I hope the treatment program works for you.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 PM

Yeah it's been a rough one for sure. She doesn't have cancer as we were led to believe. She "just" has massive scarring in her lungs from pneumonia. Looks like cancer on a MRI I guess. Lots of trips to Edmonton, but thankfully she should be okay.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:53 PM

I work on our local ambulance when I'm home. Take it from me, all of you, you are NOT going to burden the system. If you think you need help call an ambulance asap. It can save your life. If you're not allergic to aspirin, keep some on hand and take it right away, that can save your life too. Glad you are OK
Old 12-16-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
I work on our local ambulance when I'm home. Take it from me, all of you, you are NOT going to burden the system. If you think you need help call an ambulance asap. It can save your life. If you're not allergic to aspirin, keep some on hand and take it right away, that can save your life too. Glad you are OK
After getting the bill for the ambulance, be careful of a heart attack.
I remember back in '89 it was nearly $1000 for the 15min ride for food poisoning.

*Glad this thread turned out to be all good for you bloopbloob, good grief your so dang young !!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Strokes are one of the scariest things, most do not know anything is wrong until they try to speak or someone notices the signs. Being alone is bad, I sure hope everything is ok.

His is a phone # I do not have, has anyone got it that can call and see if everything is ok?
Thank you for your concern, and just want to say you are very right. When it first happened, STROKE never crossed my mind. I let it go nearly two days after my neck snapped. It wasn't immediate, but I couldn't walk. I was vomiting, I just thought I was really sick. It doesn't just happen to old people. I was young and healthy. I suffered permanent brain damage because I didn't go in for treatment soon enough. I think I just barely made it, because I went unconcious in the ER waiting room. I was young, and stubborn, and thought I'd be okay. But I wasn't.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah it's been a rough one for sure. She doesn't have cancer as we were led to believe. She "just" has massive scarring in her lungs from pneumonia. Looks like cancer on a MRI I guess. Lots of trips to Edmonton, but thankfully she should be okay.
That’s awesome news, I’m glad to hear that!

Now I hope you get straighten out.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
After getting the bill for the ambulance, be careful of a heart attack.
I remember back in '89 it was nearly $1000 for the 15min ride for food poisoning.

*Glad this thread turned out to be all good for you bloopbloob, good grief your so dang young !!
Wow thats nuts! Doesn't Alberta medical cover ambulance costs? Yukon Health does.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:46 PM
Banned

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...page12630.aspx

"Do you have a health concern for yourself or a child? Call Health Link by dialing 811 for quick and easy advice from a registered nurse 24/7. They will ask questions, assess symptoms and determine the best care for you. Remember, in a medical emergency, always call 911 or visit the nearest emergency department."
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Glad you got checked out bloopbloob.

I have badly scared lungs that was diagnosed as interstitial lung disease by my Dr. at the time. He told me I'd need oxygen 24/7 within two years.

I had a bad bout of pneumonia that he diagnoses as bronchitis just before the lung issues surfaced.

Subsequent test ordered by another Dr. found I did not have interstitial lung disease but that my lungs were badly scared. They said they had no idea what caused the scaring.

Now I'm on flovent and atrovent. The good news is I need the inhalers less and less with each passing year. It's been five years now since I started on the inhalers.

I'm also not quick to call health link these days. Last spring I had chest pains and was feeling very off so I called health link. Next thing I knew there was an ambulance at our door. Cost us over $800.00 and it turned out that the issue was my gall bladder.

At my age, if an ambulance ride is all that can save me, then maybe it's time for me to go anyway.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Glad to hear you are OK.

The human body is quite the machine, and since you are in it, only you know when it isn't runnin right for lack of better terms.. LOL..

Wishing you and yours a healthy Merry Christmas!!