Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 PM

Default Union

So somehow I am in a wonderful Union as opposed to the one I was in Saskatchewan (CUPE)

Each year we get a cheque for a fair amount of money, just because. It can either be use for RRSP's ,... healthcare stuff, or cash it out.

I always cash mine out and then the buying gear begins...

I have bargained on two scopes and a new shotgun (all SPF)

I have enough left to get some powder, a few hundrered tsx and a decent range finder...

I am not afraid of used gear at all...

anyone have any suggestions for a new rangefinder?

I had an older Bushnell, but it has seen better days...

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
sheephunter

Go with a rangefinder/bino combo now instead of wishing you did later.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Leica is the way to go. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the bino/rangefinder combo, 'cause like Sheep said you'll wish you'd of done it later. I know I do.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Go with a rangefinder/bino combo now instead of wishing you did later.
This is what I was thinking, but man oh man, the split is crazy...one guys says this is the way to go, the other says you are nuts, keep it separate
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
This is what I was thinking, but man oh man, the split is crazy...one guys says this is the way to go, the other says you are nuts, keep it separate
I doubt you'd find anyone that owns a combo unit that would say seperate is better.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM

lol...here's one.

Purposefully purchased EL 10x42's and the Leica rangefinder.

Those Leica binos weigh a ton and "egonomically suck". I also feel that they don't measure up optically.

Here's a cool one...I guided a guy who bought a pair of the Leica binos. Couldn't see the numbers and figured they were broken. He sends them in and they send them back saying they are fine. Trys em....and can't see any numbers again so he sends them back says they don't work again. They send them back again and tell him to close one eye at a time when looking through them....Voila.....apparently eye dominance has a part in them to lol. (he loves them by the way...now)

tm
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

How's Unions, rangefinders, shotguns, scopes and TSX's come into one discussion? Must be a newfie thingy........ PS: love them newfies/

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-18-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM

There are some really good deals on the Leica 800's if anyone still has them it that's what you're looking for. Try cameraland......they've had the deal on for a long time though. I'm sure you can hunt one down though.

They have the 1200 and the new 1600 as well. I use the 1200 and am really happy with it.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
lol...here's one.

Purposefully purchased EL 10x42's and the Leica rangefinder.

Those Leica binos weigh a ton and "egonomically suck". I also feel that they don't measure up optically.

Here's a cool one...I guided a guy who bought a pair of the Leica binos. Couldn't see the numbers and figured they were broken. He sends them in and they send them back saying they are fine. Trys em....and can't see any numbers again so he sends them back says they don't work again. They send them back again and tell him to close one eye at a time when looking through them....Voila.....apparently eye dominance has a part in them to lol. (he loves them by the way...now)

tm
He shoulda bought a pair of Zeiss.....come on now, let's compare appples to apples I'll put mine beside EL's any day....and tell you how far away you are Try a pair for a season and you'd never go back to two seperate units....the binos/rangefinder are just way too convenient.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Not at all like a Union to give money away !
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 AM

I never thought it was a big deal having a combo bino and RF until I hunted with it just once. I'd never go back to seperate bino and RF.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Check out Newcon.....they make some great bino/rf combos.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM

lol....sorry boyz. I also hunt in cold conditions. Binos stay outside so they don't fog up.....keep em' cold. Still need a rangefinder that the battery stays warm enough to function......ain't gonna happen. If you want I'll tell you how far it is

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
lol....sorry boyz. I also hunt in cold conditions. Binos stay outside so they don't fog up.....keep em' cold. Still need a rangefinder that the battery stays warm enough to function......ain't gonna happen. If you want I'll tell you how far it is

tm
What makes you think they won't function in the cold?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
What makes you think they won't function in the cold?
My experience is that batteries...especially small ones don't like cold. I snowmobile in the winter.....20 - 40 below. Travelling all day on your snowmobile you need to keep your binos cold. They will fog in these temp when your pulling them out from your heated body....don't matter what kind of glass it is. Plus....unzipping and busting frost at -40 to access your binos sux when you do it often.

If Zeiss has invented a battery that will work after being outside all day in these temps good for em'....I don't think so though.

So my hypothosis comes from experience with other battery operated items like flashlights, headlamps, gps's, those stupid little fans on goggles and being an electrician and having a basic understanding of how batteries work when they are warm and when they are frozen. Not directly with the Zeiss Rangefinder.

If I am wrong please show me the light

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
let's compare appples to apples I'll put mine beside EL's any day
Is that truly what you think.....honestly now......I'm speaking optically of course.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Is that truly what you think.....honestly now......I'm speaking optically of course.

tm
Absolutely that's what I think. I defy you to tell the difference optically between the two. I've owned both and both are incredible glass...it's just one has a built in rangefinder although I suspect the other will soon too. You can talk all you want about how seperate units are better but I'd guarantee that after a season of using a combo unit that you'd be a convert....especially for some one guiding. The convenience and speed of use makes using seperate units obsolete.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
My experience is that batteries...especially small ones don't like cold. I snowmobile in the winter.....20 - 40 below. Travelling all day on your snowmobile you need to keep your binos cold. They will fog in these temp when your pulling them out from your heated body....don't matter what kind of glass it is. Plus....unzipping and busting frost at -40 to access your binos sux when you do it often.

If Zeiss has invented a battery that will work after being outside all day in these temps good for em'....I don't think so though.

So my hypothosis comes from experience with other battery operated items like flashlights, headlamps, gps's, those stupid little fans on goggles and being an electrician and having a basic understanding of how batteries work when they are warm and when they are frozen. Not directly with the Zeiss Rangefinder.

tm
You probably know better, all I can say is I used mine for 3 days in -32 this fall without a hiccup.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
sheephunter

Quote:

tm
I don't know, I'm still on my original battery without a hiccup and I spent a good part of the season in -25 to -35 temperatures. I know you're looking for a reason not to like the combo units but until you actually use one for a season, you really don't have a good grasp of what they offer in terms of convenience and speed.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You can talk all you want about how seperate units are better but I'd guarantee that after a season of using a combo unit that you'd be a convert....especially for some one guiding. The convenience and speed of use makes using seperate units obsolete.
No reason to get snitty there Sheep Hunter.

At no point did I say one set up was better than another....that is totally on you.

As far as "not having a grasp of the speed and convenience" I doubt that the second or two it takes me to pull my rangefinder out of my cargo pocket on my pants in Fall conditions will not alter my success rate one bit.

As a professional guide pfffft. Did lots without a rangefinder and lots with....I use one now.....but killed a lot of animals without it.

I still do not think that a battery outside for 10-16hrs at -30 will hold up. Winter hunting is 1/2 our season and probably about 80% of my yearly hunting time......I'll keep my batteries warm thank you but you can do as you wish.

And no...I'm not looking for a reason to dislike it....I just don't think it would suit my needs at this point......capiche.

tm
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM
sheephunter

LOL..think you are reading too much in TM...not getting snitty at all....just passing along some thoughts based on experience. Actually I can see a lot of myself in you...lol I too was one that resisted and mocked the combo units. Now with a season and half under my belt with them I can't believe I resisted. You'll come around one day...I can pretty much guarantee that
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
LOL..think you are reading too much in TM...not getting snitty at all....just passing along some thoughts based on experience. Actually I can see a lot of myself in you...lol I too was one that resisted and mocked the combo units. Now with a season and half under my belt with them I can't believe I resisted. You'll come around one day...I can pretty much guarantee that
Probably was reading too much into it

I don't think I'm mocking the combo units.....I just don't think it would work for me. A typical wolf hunt is gonna cover 200 miles. Drive glass...drive glass every 20min to 30min....then ya cut tracks and go however far ya got to..maybe all day. I've not had luck with other battery operated devices and they ALL have to be kept close to your body. No matter how you cut it....snowmobiling is work and you sweat. Binos can't be kept in those conditions and then brought out into very cold conditions.....it just don't work...GUARANTEED. So....for approx 80% of my hunting time my binos are exposed to outside temps......they also stay outside at night as do rifles.

Maybe one day I'll come around one day......just not today

tm

edit...that 80% is winter conditions.....we just hit our weeks high at -30....spring is a comin'......3 more months!!!!

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 01-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM
sheephunter

LOL...ya I hear ya. I've done the wolf snowmobile hunt in the NWT a couple times. If I remember right there wasn't much need or time for a rangefinder....definitely some fast shooting though....lol
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM

They definately come in handy south of the treeline for wolves and other critters.

Buffalo, Woodland, Moose all come into play.....we have long seasons. Moose for example opened at the beginning of Sept.....Woodland since July...and they don't close for 2 more weeks The rangefinder plays a much larger roll on these hunts.

tm

edit...but ya....it can be fast lol
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I couldn't get you try the bino bro for years either!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I couldn't get you try the bino bro for years either!
LOL...yup....I am a hold out on most things new...especially things that make my life easier......LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM

lol....still don't use one of them.

Experienced my first real neck fatigue this year when I switched to 10x42's......so I'm gettin' one.

Won't use it in the winter though......lots of cushion on my parka

tm