Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
How much land do you have? Could you build shop in a few years?
It’s just residential. Lot isn’t big enough to build something after the fact.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 PM

Measure your vehicle, and consider future vehicle considering length. my truck backs in and I have JUST enough room to shuffle behind to get to the third bay in my triple, and front is 4" from garage doors. I have a marker on wall I line passenger mirror up to.

If you have 2 vehicles you're going to want space for a blower, work space, toys, etc. Have a triple now and even it's not enough as we have a 10x20 storage locker nearby to store offseason toys and stuff.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:40 PM

Default I hear ya

A triple is the consensus but if it's gonna squeeze you it might be a bad idea at the moment. First question is do you have the room for anything more than a double? If not, a double may be the best for you forever.

If the lot coverage allows, you might want to consider placing a slab for a triple (or more) but only putting a double on for right now (concrete slab might be used for parking etc right now. Then some day in the future, as finances allow you can add on a single (or super single) as an extension to the double. Make sure you build the double deep enough as that will be tough to change later, 10' walls are a surprisingly cheap add on the double.

There would be some pre-investment in a larger slab but it might not be much for the future addon. Run 220V to the garage panel even if you don't add the welder plug right away.

When you do expand, perhaps some materials can be salvaged from the endwall of the double, stuff like siding (vinyl or wood), maybe an access door. Stuff like eavestrough would be a redo.

Something to consider...I know a few folks with triples that never use the 3rd bay; they are not outdoorsy/handy types.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Thanks for the replies! Kind of figured everyone would say go big or go home lol. One thing to remember is I don’t have unlimited funds like some of you seem to have haha.

Ohhh we are always good at spending others money and giving free advice.

Good luck on your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2024, 08:01 AM

Drewski is right, my first garage was too short and when I needed to put my truck in there it wasn't big enough, don't make it too short.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:17 PM

I would build the biggest garage that is allowed and/or you have space for.
Will be planning for my own one of these days and I will likely go triple plus a shop.
I want to put a wash bay in as well as tall ceilings, floor drains and floor heat/boiler.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:50 PM

I have a triple garage. I can’t remember the exact dimensions but I believe it is 24 deep and 32 wide.

I only put 1 vehicle in it. The single side is shorter and I can’t even park my car in it without struggling to get out. It’s where my toys/ice fishing and work bench are.

The double side is just wide enough to comfortably get one vehicle in, if I put 2 in it’s a pain to get out of.

At 24 ft deep I can park my crew cab standard box pickup in, if I pull it all the way in I can walk around one side of it. If I park my crew cab long box in I can’t walk around it without opening the garage door.

A 26 or even 28ft deep garage is better.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:15 AM

Go a big as you can go as many others mentioned it can’t be big enough. If in a zoned residential area ensure to check your restrictive covenants as often the garage can only be a max % of the house or lot.

If multiple bays ensure to have a minimum of 3ft between bays (often builders only go two feet). Triple door is more beneficial then a single and a double as well.

If attached, a pure rectangular garage limits space for work benches and such. If there’s the ability to include some additional space in the design to fit said work benches and such that can help. Building a garden shed at the same time house is going up can be beneficial particularly if building one of substance (piled with grade beam and floor slab).
Old 03-30-2024, 06:55 AM

I have 20x26 with 9x10 door and 10’ walls. Second story storage. Eventually gonna be my chilling place. Separate from house electricity from house but no water (a must). After all my stuff in metal racking on one side freezer tool chest the yamaha viking sxs not that much space left. Should have made it 30x 26
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2113.jpg (16.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.jpg (22.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:12 AM

Check your municipalities requirements for engineered design. Usually it is a maximum dimension the will need beaver stamps on all drawings.
Build up to that size staying just under the threshold the municipality dictates.
Build as big as you can for what the property layout and easements allow.

Better to be looking at a lot of unused space(it’ll never happen) than beating your head against the wall, fighting for extra space.

Build tall if you can, 9.5 feet floor to truss or taller.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-30-2024, 07:52 AM

Out of curiosity, what the sq ft price on a new build these days?
Old 03-30-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Depends on a lot of things.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-30-2024, 08:19 AM

Minimum of 24 feet deep and as wide as you can go. My Yukon and pick up fit with room for activities. Mine is 25 x26 and allows for the bench and wood stove to be at the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73086246293__C069ADFD-A3E9-459E-8A13-ADE513815D26.jpg (99.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-30-2024, 08:19 AM

Go as large as you can, with at least a 10ft ceiling, and 8 foot doors. My garage is 31x24, with a 12 foot ceiling and 8 foot doors, and because of the stairs , I could fit a crew cab with 6-1/2 foot box, and two smaller vehicles. If you have a larger boat, to back in, a door larger than 9 feet is nice. I have an overhead storage, and am putting a shed in the back yard, so I can fit another small vehicle in with my truck and 16-1/2 foot boat. And it will still be tight to fit the boat and two vehicles.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Around $310-$320 for the bungalow we are building. It will be a nice house, but nothing really fancy. I’m sure that number can get a lot bigger. The land/lots to build on now a days are pretty expensive.