Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Good info guys, Thanks!
To add to this thread how do you guys setup your arrows? Do you go with the shafts you can buy ready to go, or do you build them up from bare shafts? Lengths, Weights, Balance, Fletching?
Basicly what are some "rules of thumb" in seting up arrows? Is there anything else you guys do to your arrows to assist you in the field? Or am I over thinking it? I assume its similar to developing a load for a rifle but with more variables.
BTW I'm shooting a Fread Bear Truth at 64# by 29" draw with a buscuit. never had it chrono'd

I'm full of questions, I know... Just trying to learn from others experience
Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM

I Use Nap Quick Fletch and Love them,I Used to use a Whisker Biscuit,then i switched to a Rip Cord Code Red Drop awy and Would never go back,I Do all my own work on my Arrows,Bows,Etc.I Worked as a Bow tech and have a Good Idea off What i want,I Have personalized everything on and about my setup,That is what makes me so addicted to Archery,Are all the different choices,Everthing i Do is cause i want to,I Dont listen to anybody but myself,I Do understand about the rages coming open,But I Have never had a Problem,I Like Reapers and Nap Bloodrunners as well but i Prefer Rage and i did not listen to any hype,I Seen the Hype in Person,That is Why i Chose Rage Broadheads to fire,I Make my own Choices and seen in Person,To be honest its the Talent in the Archer not the Broadhead and i Am a Great Shot with my Bow through Tons of Practice everyday and am a Excellent hunter cause of the way i was brought up,Not bragging Just a Fact.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Mechanical heads loose way too much KE. they would be ok on deer sized game at close range, but I believe anything over 40yds, or on large game like moose, elk or bear, you need the strength and penetration of a fixed blade.
Slick Tricks, enough said, try them and you won't need to switch EVER!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JIMMY View Post
Mechanical heads loose way too much KE. they would be ok on deer sized game at close range, but I believe anything over 40yds, or on large game like moose, elk or bear, you need the strength and penetration of a fixed blade.
I might agree on moose or elk?? Not. Most modern bows will generate enough KE to shoot large game easily being one chooses a good expandable. I have shot plenty of elk with expandables and blown right though out to 60 yrds. I have shot moose and buffalo with expandable with no issues. I shoot expandables becauses they fly the same as my field points. I shoot a pile and hate replacing targets. I have had great luck with expandables, but i did find an amazing fixed head that shoots the same as my field points as well. Thats tough considering im shooting 338 fps.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JIMMY View Post
Well the moose I took in 09 must have missed that memo. I him took at 60yrds with a mechanical through one shoulder and then a rib opposite side... Died 80-90 yards away.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Some great feedback on here, Thanks!

My son has been trying to read up on the differences of quality, reliability and opinion, so this will help him as I don't have as much experience as youz guyz...but still have'nt seemed to fail on the penetration part either

J.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I have never had a penetration problem

Anyhoo, Both bucks I have killed recently have had excellent penetration. 30yards on a WT buck complete pass through with the arrow sticking in the ground. this years mulie buck at 47 yards and arrow went all the way through and lodged in the opposite shoulder.
You can shoot any bh through the chest cavity at reasonable ranges w a modern bow. when I say lack of penetration I'm talking as a comparison to steep blades. Hit the scapula on entry & you'll wish you had steep angles. Shat happens, I choose to use the most penetrating type broadhead possible for when 'shat happens'. IMO & the opinion of physics steeper blade angles are superior.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

another reason why reapers are the bomb of mechanicals, and likely why they out penetrate many fixed heads in the tests