Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Fortress Lake Trip

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Fortress lake (the one by Jasper) from August 20-24th. So far I'm going with two others and they would prefer to fly in. I'm up for the bike and hike but if I can't find a hiking partner then I'll fly. If we get six people together then the sixth person would be free which represents a $500 discount per person if everyone is flying or a $250 discount if some people are hiking. After taxes the hike in option is $1456 and the fly in option is $2906. I know it's pricey but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case there is another group that wants to share in the discount.

We're pumped to catch some of those amazing brookies.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Why not grab a map/gps a license and a few friends and hike in together? Lots cheaper and more fun. I wouldent need a guide on a hike in.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Why not grab a map/gps a license and a few friends and hike in together? Lots cheaper and more fun. I wouldent need a guide on a hike in.
Some people may not be in good enough shape to hike in 26km. Have you been in there before? It isn't an easy stroll in the park.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
One day I may try that. I'm going with my dad and his body is broken down from many years of judo and my buddy's body is broken down from many years of wrestling. I would prefer to hike but I want to join them on the retreat. It would be good to go there and pack light for the retreat and then I'd know exactly how doable it is with gear for another day.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Hiked into Fortress Lake 8 years ago with my son. Its a 8 to 10 hour hike depending on weather and your condition. There is the crossing of the Chaba river to contend with which at certain times of year might be dicey as its glacier fed and dam cold. It can rise as much as 2 feet if the weather is warm at midday. There where an awful lot of bears along the way and we had to chase away curious bears twice from our tent site. The skeeters where the worst I ever experienced we where lucky we had lots of dope, went through 2 bottles in 3 days. The lake access at the hike in point is wide open and the wind tends to hold and made fly casting difficult. We did catch 3 but it was had fishing, they where deep and I was happy I brought a sinking line.

Dave Jenson has a great lodge out there but you can't get to it from the hike in point. Too much bush to push 4 - 5 hours. The north shoar of the lake is even worst with washouts going into the lake. We actually cut our stay short as it was not fun.

The next time I go, and I definitely want to spend a week there oil paining and fly fishing, it will be a fly in to the Lodge.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Hiked into Fortress Lake 8 years ago with my son. Its a 8 to 10 hour hike depending on weather and your condition. There is the crossing of the Chaba river to contend with which at certain times of year might be dicey as its glacier fed and dam cold. It can rise as much as 2 feet if the weather is warm at midday. There where an awful lot of bears along the way and we had to chase away curious bears twice from our tent site. The skeeters where the worst I ever experienced we where lucky we had lots of dope, went through 2 bottles in 3 days. The lake access at the hike in point is wide open and the wind tends to hold and made fly casting difficult. We did catch 3 but it was had fishing, they where deep and I was happy I brought a sinking line.

Dave Jenson has a great lodge out there but you can't get to it from the hike in point. Too much bush to push 4 - 5 hours. The north shoar of the lake is even worst with washouts going into the lake. We actually cut our stay short as it was not fun.

The next time I go, and I definitely want to spend a week there oil paining and fly fishing, it will be a fly in to the Lodge.
Thanks for the post and info. I hear the river isn't too bad to cross in late August but that's the first I have heard about it being so tough to go from the campsite to the lodge. I wonder if that has changed over the last 8 years. It sounds more and more like I'm going to have to pony up for the flight.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIDAFish View Post
Thanks for the post and info. I hear the river isn't too bad to cross in late August but that's the first I have heard about it being so tough to go from the campsite to the lodge. I wonder if that has changed over the last 8 years. It sounds more and more like I'm going to have to pony up for the flight.
Why not call up Dave Jansen at the lodge. He's a really great guy and won't bs you.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Why not call up Dave Jansen at the lodge. He's a really great guy and won't bs you.
I have been emailing Amelia and I will ask her or Dave about the trail between the campsite and their lodge. I have met them briefly before at one our their New Zealand video presentations and they were informative and friendly.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIDAFish View Post
You can stay at the lodge and do the hike in. Dave will have someone pick you up in a boat..pre arranged of course..
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
You can stay at the lodge and do the hike in. Dave will have someone pick you up in a boat..pre arranged of course..
That makes sense and I can try the shore fishing on that end while I wait.