Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, there is this. I dont stand hunt much, but when I do I generally dont expect to connect on my first setup. The first setup is generally just to watch how things play out from a safe distance, and then figure out how to get closer the next day.

My favorite Jack O'Connor quote, made in his later years on the subject of long shots "Any animal not shot at today, can generally be hunted tomorrow." Words to hunt by IMO.
Maybe in your spots, and certainly in jacks day. But there’s a whole pile of situations where you might get one opportunity in 2-3 weeks of hard hunting and that’s it for the year or multiple years. So if the rifle is the limiting factor, get a better one. No different than getting better boots if they hurt your feet after 3km and you need to walk 10. I went through the exact same thing as the OP, started with an old 308 and eventually couldn’t rely on it to keep up with my skills.

Now most of my deer and moose kills have been with a bow, inside 15 yards. I can and do get closer than most and perhaps closer than I should sometimes. That doesn’t mean I’m going to pass an elk at 400 with a rifle. Or any deer if the freezer is empty. Different hunts, different priorities, and different terrain can require different tools.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:47 PM

I use my Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag and 150 grain TSX handloads for everything big game.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:10 AM

A good cartridge . Of course opinions will vary across the board depend on one’s experience good , bad or indifferent. .
There are so many calibers that fall in the range of what one may call vanilla calibers. A good quality rifle with a good trigger , good scope , becomes more of a factor to me than is which exact caliber is “best “.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I use my Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag and 150 grain TSX handloads for everything big game.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:09 AM

Owned 300's in the past but went to 7 rem mag and I'll never look back.

Tikka varmint 7RM/ NF glass and sig kilo 2400abs, unreal combo. Have taken deer and moose out to 800 yards and shoot steel out to 1350. Great round. Shooting 162eldx with VV powder 2700fps. Little slower than what people generally want out of a 7RM but too darn accurate to chase velocity. Recoil is minimal.

Only negative I have to say about the 7 is if you buy in a tikka the mag length is really short, so the 168 vlds I single feed.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:09 PM

Well I tried an old beat up Savage 111 with plastic stock truck gun. I fond the recoil very sharp and with muzzle jump. It was also loud. If I go the 7mm route I will definitely want a heavier gun.
Would the Tikka behave the same way?
Old 10-30-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well I tried an old beat up Savage 111 with plastic stock truck gun. I fond the recoil very sharp and with muzzle jump. It was also loud. If I go the 7mm route I will definitely want a heavier gun.
Most likely……… how up in the air was the scope? The scope mounting height brings your cheek off the stock, and you get smacked in the jowels from the recoil, which makes you think it’s a hard kicker.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-30-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I have developed loads for a couple of Tikkas in 7mmremmag, and the recoil was not that bad, much more comfortable than a plastic stocked Savage Axis that I fired. My own Vanguard Sub Moa, in 7mmremmag was milder than either, recoil wise.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have developed loads for a couple of Tikkas in 7mmremmag, and the recoil was not that bad, much more comfortable than a plastic stocked Savage Axis that I fired. My own Vanguard Sub Moa, in 7mmremmag was milder than either, recoil wise.
I have a vanguard sub-moa as well that I regularly use for hunting, only chambered in 300wby and find the recoil to be quite manageable. Shooting 180gr nosler accubonds.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:38 PM

My tikka varmint isn't bad, I can spot my own shots when shooting at distance.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:42 AM

For me it was the higher bc bullets where I didn't need to shoot a 200+ grain bullet