Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2023, 04:05 PM

Default Tikka 695 vs Tikka T3x Question

I am looking at a Tikka 695 in 7mm. Looks good and with wood stock. I know nothing about this model. Would it be as good as the new model.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2023, 04:20 PM

Some would argue they are better than the new T3x because of a lack of plastic etc.

Others would favour the T3x because it has better computer machined this and that, plus a tupperware stock.

At the end of the day the model in question has a good reputation, and unless the barrel is toast(you do know a guy who could check that) and if your heart rate quickens when you hold it, I’d say why not!

There are no absolutes
Old 10-26-2023, 04:49 PM

LOL, Ya I know a guy all right. I won't be able to look at it until next week as I am heading out elk hunting early in the morning.
I have been reading that this model was the beginning of the transition to plastic. The mag clip and trigger guard are supposedly plastic as well.
Rifle comes with an old Leupold scope, sling, hard case, flip up caps and dies for the same price as a new T3x lite.
Cheers
Old 10-26-2023, 05:16 PM

Tikkas get better the further back in time you go. LSA 55/65, 558/658, 595/695 are much nicer rifles imo but it depends on how much you value old school in your rifles vs new and shiny, and if you're looking for pride of ownership vs just function. 695 wins if you like nice, well designed wood stocks, metal magazines, deeper bluing, true long and short actions vs the fits all design in the T3x, etc, etc.

T3x will shot just as well and is lighter but it's a pretty generic rifle with lots of synthetic components. They upped their game from the T3 but still... Fun if you like snap on stock adjustment accessories in bright colors but really? Put 12 black and blued synthetic rifles on a shelf and try to pick the manufacturers of each. Tough to do.

Lots of T3x around for sale. Only the stainless are decent looking. Good rifle if you're shopping the $950 - 1150 price slot.

If you end up with the 695 and don't like it for some reason let me know and I'll buy it from you. I've owned two of them, 300wm and 270, and two T3x in 223 and 270. Neither T3x was in my possession for more than a month. Just couldn't warm up to them.

Last edited by 270person; 10-26-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:14 PM

I had a 695. Wonderful rifle. Typically Tikka smooth and accurate. Bit of a heavyweight, so I let it go to get a T3X Superlite, but if it wasn’t for my desire for a sheep rifle, it would still be with me.

Be aware, 695 mags are made of unobtanium.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:11 PM

Own the 695 in LH and have tried the T3 both in 7 RM. Prefer the M695. It is a pretty plain unit but it works well. Love the smooth action. As mentioned the magazines are rare.

Put a limbsaver on mine, changed the game, and it fits well as I have long arms. Reduced the recoil.

IMR 7828 and 175 gr pills doing 2700 works well.

Had a 7mm RM in a BAR but it didn't have the reach of a bolt.

I found that both options shot Winchester Super 175 gr well. A couple of friends have newer Tikka 7mm and they run the Winchester well.

Hornady 139 gr not so well.

Have load for 100 gr HP that it likes. Getting 3600 fps out of those.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:42 PM

I have a T3X with a laminate stock. It’s been great and I get 1/2 inch groups with SST’s. The adjustable trigger is real nice as well. It’s a good out of the box rifle that does very well. Biggest knock on the T3X is the magazine, it’s not long enough for what most would like. I have my bullets maxed out at 3.330 OAL and it loads great. I’m sure the 695 would be awesome as well, so it’s really your call. I do hate synthetic stocks in general so the wood stock is a big plus to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2023, 11:07 AM

Have several old model Tikkas. They all perform as good as their Sako counterparts. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:42 PM

Default buy the 695!

If the price if fair, buy it! You can always sell it later on. You spend a lot of time with your rifle, so it may as well be pretty. My bias is that walnut and blued steel is pretty, and synthetics are not. That's personal opinion only......but come on....

I have not owned a 595/695, but my son has a 55 from the early 70s (I think), and it is extremely accurate. It also balances nicely, shoulder's naturally, and just feels good in the hands.

admire accuracy in a 50 year old rifle more than in a 5 year old rifle because it seems more special and difficult to achieve by the manufacturer.
One of my 2 hunting rifles hunt has a composite stock. It's beautifully made (sako), way more accurate that I am, and has been quite lucky, but it's not pretty. I like carrying the walnut stocked one more. Next year I will switch the sako out for a walnut stocked one just for the look and feel.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:47 PM

I had a 695 in 25.06. Should have never got rid of it.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:46 PM

Well I missed out on the 695. I’m out elk hunting and got notifications from gun nuts that the rifle sold tonight. I had told the seller I wasn’t available until Monday. My loss. I’m sure something else will pop up.
Thanks for all your input
Old 11-06-2023, 05:46 PM

Have a handful of each, find both shoot as accurate as the other. Prefer the ergonomics of the 595/695 a lot more. I got a 695 in 300 wm with Leupold vx3 3.5-10x50 currently listed on the buy and sell if interested.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:25 AM

Default Tikka 695 vs Tikka T3x Question

Steel mags, not plastic. The plate is plastic that it clips into but it can be swapped out for a metal one.

T3 are a lighter gun. If weight is a factor. But overall, they arent heavy.

695/658/595 - the only difficult part is now getting parts. Or looking for a synthetic stock. Just hard to find. Not going to lie - when a find one thats been a safe queen, i buy it.

I have 2 - 7mm rem mags in 695. They come up. Just have to be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2023, 02:14 PM

I own both and prefer the 695, mostly bc of the beautiful wood. But also the mags are steel, the t3 mags are some kind of synthetic (read plastic), and I’ve worn out 2 of them on my 204. But don’t lose your steel mag from your 695, cuz they are spendy, if you can find them. I’ve found they both shoot excellent, and that signature Tikka smooth action is in both as well.