Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Default Pope and Young Pigeon Down!!!!

Woke up this morning laying around the house with a bad chest cold wondering what i was going to do for the day. I then remembered i still needed a pigeon to finish off my small game award for the ABA. Said to myself " well.......not going to get one sitting on the couch"
I made my way out to my buddys farm, i noticed right away the Pigeons were not patterning like they normally do in the peak of the Pigeon rut, they were more on the feed as pose to chasing the females around. I had to completely change my whole plan of calling one in. I made my way over to the grain pile and they all flew away as i tried a stalk, they just kept flying around and around in circles, they must have been really hungery. They eventually got tired and all landed in a big black poplar tree, that was when i made my move, i got into position for a 30 yards shot through a small shooting lane, there were 2, one directly on top on the other, so i aimed for the top one thinking it was 30 yards and nailed the bottom one.
In the end it all turned out to be a pretty awesome hunt, and I even managed to get my arrow back.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...es7/pigion.jpg
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM

That's a beauty.

I think when I get my bow and can get shooting I will have to head out for some pigeons. Good practice while I wait for the gophers to come back out.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Sounds like a good way to lose a lot of arrows, and have a heck of a good time!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Sounds like a good way to lose a lot of arrows, and have a heck of a good time!
yes....very good way to get rid of those pesky arrows. Happy to be done with these elusive animals.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM

nicely done!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM

you going for the pigeon slam?......blue, white, cinnamon?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 PM

nice pope and young pigeon. That is a great looking farm in the backround,you owe me dearly for all of my expert guiding which lead you to this wonderful kill. Congrats on the final piece of the puzzle for your masters award.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:37 AM

What do you think that Brute will score after the mandatory 60 days drying time? I would definitely think that it will go high Book;Possibly #3 or 4. That thing looks like a Roided Up Carrier Pigeon from the War!!

Congrats,on a fine trophy.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Did you get trailcam pics of that one?You should euro mount the skull!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
nice pope and young pigeon. That is a great looking farm in the backround,you owe me dearly for all of my expert guiding which lead you to this wonderful kill. Congrats on the final piece of the puzzle for your masters award.
Dont let APOS catch you getting any reward if your not a licensed outfitter Just kidding.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Dont let APOS catch you getting any reward if your not a licensed outfitter Just kidding.
Haha, yeah sorry Jeff, im not allowed to reward you for you expert guiding services due to your lack of certification. But for anyone who is looking for the Pigeon grand slam i highly recommend him as a guide.

I have some pretty high hopes of this bird making into the top 3 alberta archery records, we will see after the 60 day drying period!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Awesome!, I love the opening line "Woke up this morning laying around the house with a bad chest cold wondering what I was going to do for the day" . Can't got to work so lets head out in the cold and nail some squab! Priceless! Im gonna remember that the next time Im sick. The true mark of a die hard. Good job Jameson340.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I'd do a euro-mount on that toad.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Congrats on the pigeon .. Final critter for the buckle ? Way to go !! What animal you putting on it ?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Default Buckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Congrats on the pigeon .. Final critter for the buckle ? Way to go !! What animal you putting on it ?
Ben will probably put on the pigeon,he said it was the hardest to get. Just kidding I think he is going to put on his whitetail from this year,it is an awesome archery kill with a gross score of 174 he is very proud.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Default guiding

Quote:
You are right I have to be very careful without my pigeon outfitting license,not to worry though ben is to cheap to pay me with any reward anyway.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, the final peice to the puzzle for my masters buckle, i said i would get the hardest animal to kill on my buckle wich turned out to be the Pigeon haha, but I am going to go with this years whitetail.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You are right I have to be very careful without my pigeon outfitting license,not to worry though ben is to cheap to pay me with any reward anyway.
What do you mean? I thought me not charging you for friendship fee's this month was enough??
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Yes, the final peice to the puzzle for my masters buckle, i said i would get the hardest animal to kill on my buckle wich turned out to be the Pigeon haha, but I am going to go with this years whitetail.
Thats great , used my first P&Y mule deer on mine .. Our SABA club has additional requirements for our buckle .. A Canada goose was my final animal on that one .. Is your whitey posted here somewhere on the forum ? would love to see him , sounds like a real cranker !
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thats great , used my first P&Y mule deer on mine .. Our SABA club has additional requirements for our buckle .. A Canada goose was my final animal on that one .. Is your whitey posted here somewhere on the forum ? would love to see him , sounds like a real cranker !
Hey H380, yep, if you look under my statistics and click on threads started by me, it is the " Big Buck Down!" one.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Congrats on the archery pigeon
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Hey H380, yep, if you look under my statistics and click on threads started by me, it is the " Big Buck Down!" one.
Thanx Jameson, you have some truly impresssive trophies .. Thanx again for sharing .
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanx Jameson, you have some truly impresssive trophies .. Thanx again for sharing .
I second that one, You geter done buddy, great job and really like seeing your photos too.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Pigeon hunting over decoys

Hey I thing you will really like www.soarnomore.com it is all about pigeon hunting.
I would like to speak with you about hunting and some products that I have found. 403 601 6252 Chris

If you order off there web site call in with order and mention Chris Elia in HIGH RIVER AB and you will get 10% off your order.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I think I am now in trouble,something strange happened and ben came through with a bottle of gibsons for my pigeon guiding services. I now am afraid they are going to pull my license for excepting a gratuity.Looks like I am up river without a paddle.