Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Homemade crossbow shoots 2 full size arrows into a car

This guy first shows a winch operated hand cannon, and then a dual arrow crossbow.

The crossbow can shoot either single shot or both at the same time. At the end he shoots the arrows into the side of a car to show the power.

http://youtu.be/7TSrTF4Smak

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM

lol hardly a crossbow, its a rubberband gun that shoots arrows...
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Crossbow

Tue next thing well see is compressed air crossbows but it will still be "bowhunting" to the folks too lazy to learn how to shoot a bow.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerNAnvil View Post
lol hardly a crossbow, its a rubberband gun that shoots arrows...
x2 pretty neat though!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Tue next thing well see is compressed air crossbows but it will still be "bowhunting" to the folks too lazy to learn how to shoot a bow.
I shoot a hoyt recurve and a recurve crossbow, what do you got? High powered compound with sights and 80% letoff??? Its the pot calling the kettle black!

Last edited by HammerNAnvil; 10-21-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Lol. Isn't that the truth
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Default Bow

I got'cher beat sonny boy....all I shoot is a longbow, none of those fancy recurves for me, oh and I make lots of meat with my bow too. So you just assumed i shoot a compound? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM

I figured because all you ever hear is compound shooters dissing crossbows, they aren't much different in my opinion, people can shoot what they want as far as I'm concerned.
I don't even hunt with a crossbow, just coyotes and birds.
If someone wants to hunt with a crossbow in any season, I say go for it, the fact that anyone else thinks their more entitled to something disgusts me.

Last edited by HammerNAnvil; 10-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I figured because all you ever hear is compound shooters dissing crossbows, they aren't much different in my opinion, people can shoot what they want as far as I'm concerned.
If someone wants to hunt with a crossbow in any season, I say go for it, the fact that anyone else thinks their more entitled to something disgusts me.
YOU ARE A MORON.
so what do you call it when you are "not" hunting with a crossbow when you "are" hunting coyotes and birds?:snapoutofit
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
A bow is held and drawn by muscular power on a vertical plane....explain how a cross bow is "not much different"....
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM

You have to cock a crossbow, hunting crossbows are usually 200lbs, some 225, takes some muscular effort to do that!! A 60lb bow say.. with 80% let off means your only holding 12lbs, maybe effort for someone with noodle arms, they sure as heck wouldn't be cocking a crossbow anytime soon.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc*A* View Post
YOU ARE A MORON.
so what do you call it when you are "not" hunting with a crossbow when you "are" hunting coyotes and birds?:snapoutofit
Varmint control I don't suppose killing hundreds of gophers, birds, or a few coyotes makes you a hunter, or that you are hunting, so you can take your name calling elsewhere.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
You have to cock a crossbow, hunting crossbows are usually 200lbs, some 225, takes some muscular effort to do that!! A 60lb bow say.. with 80% let off means your only holding 12lbs, maybe effort for someone with noodle arms, they sure as heck wouldn't be cocking a crossbow anytime soon.
and how much draw weight are you holding with a crossbow? try 0.
crossbows and compound bows are not the same, not even close.
so dont try to build them up to something they are'nt.
and you are holding the front of the crossbow under your foot while you use the cocking aid to pull the string back.
if your not using the cocking aid you sure as hell are using both hands. not to mention the 100% let off.
thems the facts, get used to it, you are fighting a loosing battle.
take your ball and go home before yoju hurt yourself
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Varmint control I don't suppose killing hundreds of gophers, birds, or a few coyotes makes you a hunter, or that you are hunting, so you can take your name calling elsewhere.
must be a million dollar man.
i dont wast time on crap like gophers and birds. arrows are too expensive
(well the ones i buy anyway) i hunt big game bud.
bull moose, bull elk, white tail and mule buck.
if you want i'll take some pics of MY trophy room and send them to ya.
it might even give you some insperation to quit ****in around and buy a real bow.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Did not say they are the same, I said they are not much different, both are capable of shooting the same speeds, both are more of an advantage over a longbow/recurve if you want to argue that point. I can shoot a compound as deadly accurate shot after shot as a crossbow, and I do not see any advantages, crossbows are heavy, loud, slow to reload, damn awkward to hunt with, and sure as hell suck to ride with. I just don't understand why people have to **** and moan about crossbows. Its IMMATURE at best.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
it might even give you some insperation to quit ****in around and buy a real bow.
My main bow is a hoyt buffalo. Only thing more real than that is a wood bow
Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM

thats the other problem.........HOYT
Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Picts or you're full of it.......

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 10-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
thats the other problem.........HOYT
Its a hoyt recurve not a compound, hoyt recurves are pretty dang good bows If I must say so...
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM

dude, im just messin with ya. but if your ever in edmonton look me up if ya want. we can have a beer and a shoot.
ya know what they say.
money talks and bull **** walks.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Default Yup they both shoot a shaft w fletch but..

To take an animal w crossbow- raise, aim, fire. With a bow- raise, draw, anchor,aim,fire. I dunno how many animals anybody has shot here but I know a crossbow handles like a firearm. Far simpler to be effective with it than any bow. ANY BOW. IMO crossbows should be considered a firearm based on function. Aim, shoot far less movement than required with ANY BOW IMO
Totally different ballpark.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 PM

40 or 50 yards range is still the same ballpark. if not it sure would be nice to have october as muzzle or crossbow season.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default As it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy9525 View Post
40 or 50 yards range is still the same ballpark. if not it sure would be nice to have october as muzzle or crossbow season.

October should be muzzleloader but has to be a true primative weapon season. No optical sights and no sabots. Patch and ball or conical, no rifled shotguns if there allowed. Otherwise it's just a two month rifle season. 40 or 50 yds isn't the same ballpark when you have to draw compared to moving your finger IMO.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM

I shoot a 53# recurve, no letoff, I better have my target long before I reach full draw. Don't think shooting a compound takes boatloads of skill... And 50 yard shots? Wow, I wouldn't take a 40 or 50 yard shot with a crossbow... arrow trajectory is still the same... you loose so much energy past 30 yards my crossbow arrow dropped 3 feet at 50 yards.... beyond unethical...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Wow! You bow folks are a real passionate lot aren't you?
In the gunpowder world we get the same back and forth with wood or plastic on firearms.

Don't mind me. Continue. I'm just gonna grab a sandwich first. I'll be right back.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I shoot a 53# recurve, no letoff, I better have my target long before I reach full draw. Don't think shooting a compound takes boatloads of skill... And 50 yard shots? Wow, I wouldn't take a 40 or 50 yard shot with a crossbow... arrow trajectory is still the same... you loose so much energy past 30 yards my crossbow arrow dropped 3 feet at 50 yards.... beyond unethical...
Im not understanding what you mean by 'have my target?' I don't think shooting a compound takes much skill either, it's doing it accurately and in a fashion to not alert game in hunting that requires skill. Same as with a long bow but much closer distances involved to succeed. Ethics & shot distance is another thread all together. The closer the better long bow or high-powered rifle IMO. You draw a bow, you don't draw a crossbow. Drawing creates movement, I'm aware cam bows have let off. That doesn't remove the act of drawing or anchoring which puts bows in one category 'drawn weapons' and crossbows in with firearms or 'triggered weapons' IMO.

Last edited by bowtech3006; 10-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech3006 View Post
Im not understanding what you mean by 'have my target?' I don't think shooting a compound takes much skill either, it's doing it accurately and in a fashion to not alert game in hunting that requires skill. Same as with a long bow but much closer distances involved to succeed. Ethics & shot distance is another thread all together. The closer the better long bow or high-powered rifle IMO. You draw a bow, you don't draw a crossbow. Drawing creates movement, I'm aware cam bows have let off. That doesn't remove the act of drawing or anchoring which puts bows in one category 'drawn weapons' and crossbows in with firearms or 'triggered weapons' IMO.
Now I know why I've never bagged and tagged anything with my crossbow!

NOte: I am being sarcastic, guys, sarcastic - to the nth degree

I always get a kick out of the 'real' bowmen who seem to think there is no movement necessary with a crossbow, just set it up, drawn with a bolt on the rail, hold it in position, and an animal will just walk into the sight at the right range and that's it - dead critter! Easy, easy, easy

Sheesh, all along I've been doing it wrong. Seeing a target critter coming in, having to raise the crossbow to my shoulder, hold it up there for sometimes a long time ...... wait, wait, wait ...... and shoot - or not - because the critter just might see movement while it's getting into the right position for the hunter to get a good shot. I'm going to suggest that the movement required with a crossbow is different than with a vertical bow, but there is still going to be movement. Back in the day I could hold my buddy's compound at full draw for a lot longer than I can hold my crossbow up and steady to take a shot.

Note, I've also hunted for many years with a 'draw, anchor, and hold-until-released' bow - a recurve . I won't own a compound - personal choice, I just think they are too technologically advanced, but I certainly won't argue that those who do use them properly aren't real hunters. I just wish those fellers would have the same respect for those of us who prefer, or have to, use a different 'bow' for trying to put a 'pointy stick with feathers / vanes on it' into one's quarry at the short ranges such hunting calls for.

Just to 'nitpick' - don't a lot of vertical bow users use 'trigger' releases nowadays? I guess that should put them in with the 'triggered weapons' seasons.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post

Just to 'nitpick' - don't a lot of vertical bow users use 'trigger' releases nowadays? I guess that should put them in with the 'triggered weapons' seasons.
That is nitpicking lol I guess they are using a trigger, now the bow just needs to stay drawn on it's own accord to make'm even Steven.' Real bowmen' that was a nice touch. For the record I've shot allot of deer with a smoothbore shotgun and rifled slugs. Many of them were in heavy bush at close ranges just like bowhunting. I didn't say no movement. I said 'Aim, shoot' aiming would be your 'movement' component. IMO at the moment of truth when the adrenaline is pouring and a man keeps it together and manages to 'aim & shoot' at close range it's impressive. When a man draws a bow in those same exact circumstances it's practically a miracle.

Tags
crossbow, slingshot