Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Close call while sinking into the river bed eeeep...

So we went out fishing by Lloydminister on days off. And we were fishing off the shore on what seemed to be a nice silty sandy spot, when we hooked into a sucker. Both of us stepped forward closer to the water onto solid ground, and while my gf was handing me the pliers to unhook the fish we both started abruptly sinking! All the way past the top of our rubber boots up to our knees. We were laughing hysterically trying to get ourselves out while in the back of our heads panicking using all of our might to get even one foot free. After about 5 mins of sinking even deeper we managed to both get out. Has anyone else had any experiences and close calls like this? Or suggestions what to do in this situation? Lol we've stepped on countless banks and never had this occur. Lol maybe I'll bring the net next time, because theirs nothing I can't stand more than when people horse the fish out of the water by the line.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

All I can say is be careful when hiking along the banks of the Red Deer River in the Badlands,,, those little run-off spots look dry but are akin to stepping onto pudding and a terrifying hell to get out of.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Smile Duck Ponds

IME they are all like that, maybe worse, no place to a fellow to go, buy a dog.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Happened to me on the Bow last week.Fell backwards and kicked out, not sure how deep it was but went over my wellies.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Lol reminds me of the time I figured I could wade out into Cow Lake.....I stepped off the bank 1 foot from shore and sunk up to my waist immediately....that day I decided to just walk the bog.....

LC
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Scary stuff for sure. I have a cow who sinks in one of sloughs around here about once a year. She isn't a problem solver.
I have hit a few bogs above the treeline with my horse and buried him half way up the saddle, but the river banks hold a special kind of spook for me. I'm not sure why. I been stuck in jobs I hate and a stuck in a bad marriage once or twice {not this one of course this one is what they make movies about.} but stuck in the river bank holds a special charm for some reason.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM

It's called quick sand or loon s**t. Either way it's nasty stuff. Always wise to take a wading staff with you to test the ground in front of you. If your children are with you teach them to do that too. I do it all the time and that staff has saved me a lot of misery over the years.