Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Default trophy ridge react sight?

Has anyone else bought or used this new trophy ridge react sight? It says you only need to sight in two pins and then all the rest will line up. This did not seem to be true at all. Bang on at 20, 30 yards and 3" high at 40, 50 and then 60 was low!!!! Then I sighted in the 20 and 40 instead. The 50 was closer but 60 was still out. Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this sight?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremehuntress View Post
Has anyone else bought or used this new trophy ridge react sight? It says you only need to sight in two pins and then all the rest will line up. This did not seem to be true at all. Bang on at 20, 30 yards and 3" high at 40, 50 and then 60 was low!!!! Then I sighted in the 20 and 40 instead. The 50 was closer but 60 was still out. Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this sight?
It can't work for every bow...the pitch of the thread cannot match each type of bow speed and specs...I like Trophy Ridge, but IMHO this sight is a gimmick.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks. Ya, was shooting the bear motive 6 set at 66lbs, it shoots fast, sweet bow. But just cannot get that sight to work. Thanks for the comment. Guess I'll take this sight back and try a different sight.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM

I used the Matrix sights and now I use the Micro Alpha V5 sights on my two current bows.

LC
Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Ok thanks! I'm going to look into it. I've also been reading up on a good rests. On my 2012 Hoyt carbon element, I had the rip cord but it kept failing to drop, so I've got a QAD that im getting put on as they seem to be all the hype right now. But so was the rip cord. It was only a year old when it started to fail.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremehuntress View Post
Ok thanks! I'm going to look into it. I've also been reading up on a good rests. On my 2012 Hoyt carbon element, I had the rip cord but it kept failing to drop, so I've got a QAD that im getting put on as they seem to be all the hype right now. But so was the rip cord. It was only a year old when it started to fail.
QAD is same principle as ripcord. You want guaranteed that it'll move out of the way check some of the limb driven rests like trophy taker smack down or Vaportrail limb driver pro-v, or new G5 CMax. Much easier set-up and no need to worry about timing the rest. Also much easier to fix if you have an issue.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Banned

I'm using the React on my Bowtech Assassin and it's been flawless. I set my 20 and 30 and then went to 40 and it was very close so I made an adjustment and set up at 60 and it was really close as well. I made an adjustment and went back to shooting at 30 and it was better at 30 then it was before.

For me and my set up, the React has lived up to all it's advertised as and I would have no problems buying another one.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It can't work for every bow...the pitch of the thread cannot match each type of bow speed and specs...I like Trophy Ridge, but IMHO this sight is a gimmick.

LC
Good thing I read this thread. Was going to look into one.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Good thing I read this thread. Was going to look into one.
It might work for your bow....but really IMHO it isnt hard to sight in two pins...so how hard is it to do two or three more?

I also find the sight very big, heavy, and clunky. No doubt for some folks its great but I personally like different sights.

LC
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM

YA. every time this question comes up about this concept its the same thing. It kinda works for a couple of people, but obviously can't mathematically work for everyone, just like a ballistic reticle cant work for everything from a 22 lr to 458 win mag and everything in between, physics and gravity wont let it happen.

Norm
Old 01-12-2014, 12:41 PM

I had this sight and did not work for my Hoyt bow, plus it broke when I tightened the pins. Cheap plastic IMO. But there are some good reviews so maybe I just had a bad experienc
Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Just installed one on a APA Mamba M7, so far so good. Will update once I get a few more arrow's through it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one out there who had issues with no being able to use that sight! And thanks for the comments about the rests. I'm going to look into it a little more! I still have a little time before hunting season lol, but it would be nice to get to some of these 3D shoots!!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM

I just bought one a few weeks ago and I love it. I sighted in the 20 then 30. I was on at 40 and just made a tiny adjustment on it. was on at 50 and 60 after that with no issues. I love this sight and in my opinion one of the best sights on the market. Took me 10 min to sight in my bow with no tools. I put this on my creed and I know a few other guys that tried them on lower end bears and some pse models and worked fine I don't think its a gimmick, just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb985 View Post
I just bought one a few weeks ago and I love it. I sighted in the 20 then 30. I was on at 40 and just made a tiny adjustment on it. was on at 50 and 60 after that with no issues. I love this sight and in my opinion one of the best sights on the market. Took me 10 min to sight in my bow with no tools. I put this on my creed and I know a few other guys that tried them on lower end bears and some pse models and worked fine I don't think its a gimmick, just my opinion.
They likely work on majority of low IBO bows, speed bows are different.

LC
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

What point is considered a speed bow these days? I know there are bows at 365fps with IBO spec but my Assassin is 333fps IBO. That's still pretty quick. Higher end of the midrange for sure.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:52 PM

This is a post from Normanrd after he contacted Trophy Ride asking how the sight can compensate for 260fps vs a 350fps bow...his post from another thread.

Not trying to slam Trophy Ridge as I have used their sights for well over 10 years...actually for as long as they have been a company and I use their stabilizers on my 3d bow.

If they work for your bow great...but by design they CANNOT work on EVERY bow. I also find the sight very large and clunky.

Also they have had the technology out for a long time in another sight they called, "The Judge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I might think twice about that. I was wondering about how they compensate betwen the difference in ballistics between a bow that goes 260 fps and a bow that gos 350 fps so I emailed thm and asked. Their reply was that "the speed did not matter, it worked for anything in that range". I emailed them back and asked if they were trying to tell me that the external balistics for the same arrow doing those 2 drastically different speeds were exactly the same, meaning that the arrow will follow the same arc no matter what the speed is? Their reply was " that they had no way to compesate for speed differences in their sight and that it just worked for those speeds". I laughed and wrote them off.

Norm
LC
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I'm using the React on my Bowtech Assassin and it's been flawless. I set my 20 and 30 and then went to 40 and it was very close so I made an adjustment and set up at 60 and it was really close as well. I made an adjustment and went back to shooting at 30 and it was better at 30 then it was before.

For me and my set up, the React has lived up to all it's advertised as and I would have no problems buying another one.
if you don't mind me asking, what is your draw length and draw weight? I have an assassin as well and am looking to buy this sight. I am 28" with 70lb draw.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM

ok I don't claim to be the smartest man in the world but what does bow speed have to do with this it don't care how fast it starts out all it cares about is how fast it slows down due to drag and that is at the same speed if it starts at 200 fps or 2000 fps that's why the adjustment works you can take any two bow brand doesn't matter that shot the same speed and all the pins will be the same distance apart now drop the speed down by 20fps on both bows and don't change the pins they both will hit the same amount of distance lower its all to do with resistance to movement that's why they can figure for drop by a simple math formula what it is im not 100% sure my brother who is a teacher tried to explain it to me and it made some sence sort of well not really but he said it is possible and I may not be all that smart but he is( i'll never tell him that) but that's what I was told
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM

^^^^

If what you say is true then a single BDC reticle would work for all rifles....

Have you ever seen sight tapes for a single pin adjustable sight for a bow? The spacing are different based on the speed of the arrow. Sometimes guys need to make a custom sight tape because one of the pre-mades won't work.

The pitch/frequency on the thread cannot possibly match each and every bow speed IMHO....because it is only one style of thread and gear and cannot be changed.

Read Normanrd post from when he contacted Trophy Ridge above....I like Trophy ridge and have bought likely 6-7 of their sights but I personally don't like this one. No doubt it will work for many people, but to me making adjustments to each of my pins is easy enough.

The other thing I don't like about this sight is it is giant!! The good news is if you get in a survival situation, you don't need to bring a hatchet with you . It's so big you can knock down trees with it

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-26-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM

I thought you had to sight in at 20 and 60 to get it to work properly any other ranges with make a few others off a bit.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM

ok so I tried to use your argument to bust my brother his answer started with twist rate and drag profiles and drop rate long and short the reason for different tapes is different in the weights of arrows and the speed of the bow he still states the drop rate is a constant no matter
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian medic View Post
ok so I tried to use your argument to bust my brother his answer started with twist rate and drag profiles and drop rate long and short the reason for different tapes is different in the weights of arrows and the speed of the bow he still states the drop rate is a constant no matter
Ask him if a 140gr 9mm pistol bullet going 1500fps has the same trajectory as a 180gr .308 rifle bullet going 3200fps.....if a light bulb doesn't go off....stop listening to your brother

Not every arrow has the same twist rate either...some are fletch helical and some are fletched straight.

Yes the force of gravity is the same but that isn't what we are talking about....we are talking trajectory in a lateral plain...different mass and speed over time.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-26-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

Unfortunately gimmick products plague the market.
Doing your due diligence is your only defense.

Spend wisely and hunt proficiently.

An old man's input.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

As far as bow sights go, I haven't found anything that beats Spot Hogg. Customer service there is excellent as well. I had a fiber optic line that wore out somewhat, I sent them an email and literally within hours I had an email saying Spot Hogg has sent me a package.

I had an issue with a micro adjustment pin on my Axcel Armourtech Pro sight once which was fixed at no charge by Axcel as well.

Axcel makes a great sight, but I still think that as far as durability goes, you can beat a good Spot Hogg sight. You pay for them once and have a sight for life. No Gimmicks!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM

ok after being called an idiot and told not to bug him during school hours again like that will stop me he stated yes trajectory is different only in the distance length of the arch the curve rate is still the same he say if you shrink the to paths to start and end at the same point the curve will be the same and this is why this sight works and he loves his
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian medic View Post
ok after being called an idiot and told not to bug him during school hours again like that will stop me he stated yes trajectory is different only in the distance length of the arch the curve rate is still the same he say if you shrink the to paths to start and end at the same point the curve will be the same and this is why this sight works and he loves his
If you shrink the path then you are shortening the distance between the 2 (or more) points, no? Does this not then mean that the pins that are supposed to be a defined yardage (20/30/40/50/60) don't really represent that distance, but rather the distance that corresponds to that point on the "shrunken path".

Everything falls at the same speed due to gravity. The distance it travels before it falls to the ground is determined by the velocity it travels at if it starts on a parallel path to the earths surface. Therefore a faster projectile will fall less in a given distance than a slower one. This is why the sight can't work for every speed of arrow. Physics won't let it. An arrow traveling at 260 fps can not have the same trajectory as an arrow traveling at 350 fps. Real life tells us this! The sight has a fixed mathematical relationship between the pins, so it can't work for all arrow speeds. It simply has no way to account for varying the speed.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Exactly...^^^^^*

Read further there are minimum speeds recommended by manufacturer....so there would also be max speeds....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1988185

They count on this sight being used on bows shooting in the range the majority of bows do....but it cannot work for EVERY bow every time and that is the point.

LC
Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM

where is the best place to buy the 5 pin react sight? Looking for RH black. I am in St albert.

thx
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbowhunter View Post
where is the best place to buy the 5 pin react sight? Looking for RH black. I am in St albert.

thx
WSS or Cabelas has them.

LC