Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2020, 10:57 PM

Default Getting a VIN for a custom on highway vehicle

https://www.alberta.ca/special-inter...-vehicles.aspx

https://www.alberta.ca/vehicle-ident...ssignment.aspx

There are numbers that could be called about VIN for off road.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Dang! This right here has the potential of being one of those very few legendary AO threads...for a GOOD reason!

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2! VERY cool.

Are you sure those Dana 60's are gonna hold up? Those are some BIG tires to turn. A good set of Rockwells would be bulletproof but looks like your well on your way with the 60's. Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:46 AM

As for registering, there are avenues for getting a new vin and registering home-built vehicles. As for insuring, I can’t speak for all carriers but ours will ensure the vehicle. The only sticking point is I may need to get an appraisal before they will ensure it. I don’t know what it will be worth once done but stuff adds up fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
X2! VERY cool.

Are you sure those Dana 60's are gonna hold up? Those are some BIG tires to turn. A good set of Rockwells would be bulletproof but looks like your well on your way with the 60's. Good luck & keep us posted.
The 60’s should be fine. They are strong for their weight. I’ve narrowed them to 54-1/2” wheel surface to wheel surface from the original 69”. I’m also now shooting for a 3500lb total weight so the buggy will be on the light side.

The rear 60 has a Detroit automatic locker and Yukon 5.29 gears. The original 30 spline 1-1/4” full floater axle shafts have been replaced with custom length Dutchman 35 spline 1-1/2” 300M shafts.

The front 60 has a selectable cable-actuated OX locker and Yukon 5.29 gears. The original 30 spline 1-1/4” inner and outer shafts have been replaced with 35 spline 1-1/2” 300M shafts. It has Yukon drive flanges at the wheels and Reid Racing knuckles. The high-steer arms are custom made and utilize the 5th (extra) mounting hole that the Reid knuckles have over the stock Ford Kingpin knuckle. The arms mount to the top of the knuckle and face rearwards. When the wheels are straight the arms are pointed at the middle of the rear differential, providing the perfect Ackerman steering angle.

As for steering, I just receiver the complete package from PSC. High-flow pump that mounts on the front of the Ecotec and uses the motors serpentine belt, steering (orbital) control valve, remote reservoir, aluminum cooler, and a massive 8” long x 2-3/4” dia double-ended hydraulic Ram. It also came with an upgraded 1-1/2” tie-rod kit with 3/4” heim joints. I also ordered from another company that specializes in Ecotec swaps the aluminum bracket to mount the PSC pump and they also had the billet pump pulley that matches the 5 rib design on the rest of the Ecotec pulleys.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Dang! This right here has the potential of being one of those very few legendary AO threads...for a GOOD reason!

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right up there with the kidnapping baby birds thread! 😇

Last edited by Iron Brew; 12-17-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Unless he ends up adding TONS of weight, the 60's will be more than enough.
He'll also be saving over a couple hundred pounds not going with Rockwells.

It's looking great Posi. Thanks for the updates.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:24 AM

I think what most people need to remember is that this is a purpose built vehicle. It’s going to spend most of its time going 5km/hr through boggy ground with water coming up through it. There’s hard ground up here too but you seldom go in any direction for long before hitting some Muskeg. If I was building a rock crawler it would look a lot different.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:34 AM

Posi, I like your design, most guys do not know the Ft Mc muskeg, only way to cross some is with a pair of chest waders or wait until January when you have a foot of ice.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:53 AM

I love the build, can't wait for the videos to follow of it doing it's thing.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxGA7fpfu0

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My boys watch this guys' antics all the time.

Oh to have the money to burn on the kinds of stuff he builds and wrecks... I can't bear to watch!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:33 PM

Less Monstermax, more like Stone Tusk Off-Road.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWD...PwarZZA/videos

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-17-2020, 04:49 PM

People like Positrac are the reason why Albertans overcome problems again and again. I salute you.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 PM

What a cool thread. Well done sir! I want a ride.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:52 PM

Definitely need to post a video of it in action when your all done
Old 12-17-2020, 06:20 PM

Great project Posi... a question. Having never been involved in this sort of thing you mentioned a serpentine belt. Do those belts not slip and cause problems when buried in muck and mud?

Osky
Old 12-17-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Great project Posi... a question. Having never been involved in this sort of thing you mentioned a serpentine belt. Do those belts not slip and cause problems when buried in muck and mud?

Osky
If I quit adding more steel to it the belt will be up high enough that it will be out of the water even when floating.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 AM

Motor and transaxle hard mounted. I have a stand-alone harness and new tuned ecu from Swap Specialties that will handle running both.

Hard mount for the Samurai transfer case. I still have a top crossbar to add. Note the transfer case brake. I have a dual piston brake pedal assembly and two separate calibers going on the brake. Everything is above the frame rails and I have a 3-piece skid plate that covers everything. At 3 psi there will be about 22” of clearance under the belly.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:28 AM

That’s very impressive Posi! Way to grab the bull by the horns and make it happen. I’ll be following this till the end, great work so far.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 PM

I may have missed it, but what do you expect the whole thing to weigh?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I may have missed it, but what do you expect the whole thing to weigh?
I started out wanting it to come in at 3,000lbs but it will probably end up around 3,500.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:58 PM

Why did you hard mount vs soft mount? Not going fast enough to be concerned with increased harshness?
Old 12-18-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why did you hard mount vs soft mount? Not going fast enough to be concerned with increased harshness?
A lot of buggy’s hard mount the motor/transaxle and a lot of the Samurai crowd do the same with the transfer case. The frame is very ridged so flex shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
As for registering, there are avenues for getting a new vin and registering home-built vehicles. As for insuring, I can’t speak for all carriers but ours will ensure the vehicle. The only sticking point is I may need to get an appraisal before they will ensure it. I don’t know what it will be worth once done but stuff adds up fast.

The 60’s should be fine. They are strong for their weight. I’ve narrowed them to 54-1/2” wheel surface to wheel surface from the original 69”. I’m also now shooting for a 3500lb total weight so the buggy will be on the light side.

The rear 60 has a Detroit automatic locker and Yukon 5.29 gears. The original 30 spline 1-1/4” full floater axle shafts have been replaced with custom length Dutchman 35 spline 1-1/2” 300M shafts.

The front 60 has a selectable cable-actuated OX locker and Yukon 5.29 gears. The original 30 spline 1-1/4” inner and outer shafts have been replaced with 35 spline 1-1/2” 300M shafts. It has Yukon drive flanges at the wheels and Reid Racing knuckles. The high-steer arms are custom made and utilize the 5th (extra) mounting hole that the Reid knuckles have over the stock Ford Kingpin knuckle. The arms mount to the top of the knuckle and face rearwards. When the wheels are straight the arms are pointed at the middle of the rear differential, providing the perfect Ackerman steering angle.

As for steering, I just receiver the complete package from PSC. High-flow pump that mounts on the front of the Ecotec and uses the motors serpentine belt, steering (orbital) control valve, remote reservoir, aluminum cooler, and a massive 8” long x 2-3/4” dia double-ended hydraulic Ram. It also came with an upgraded 1-1/2” tie-rod kit with 3/4” heim joints. I also ordered from another company that specializes in Ecotec swaps the aluminum bracket to mount the PSC pump and they also had the billet pump pulley that matches the 5 rib design on the rest of the Ecotec pulleys.
Roger that, I just read it's going to be a light buggy, those 60's (built) will be more than strong enough. I was assuming it would be a hardcore bush buggy.

Again, very cool project!

Looks like your making KILLER progress. Also looks like you have some serious fab skills.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Looks like your making KILLER progress. Also looks like you have some serious fab skills.
Thanks. I played with Lego lots as a kid.

I’ve got a long ways to go before I can pat myself on the back. Maybe next fall when I’ve got a bull loaded up on it heading out of the bush...
Old 12-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Yeah this is damn impressive, and I appreciate you letting us come along for the build.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Cool project for sure. You putting a winch on it or some type of tire chain possible ?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:38 PM

I’ve got winches for both front and rear of the buggy. They are only 4,000lb units but I’ve got a few snatch blocks and extra winch rope so they should be sufficient.

Today was spent on the end of the welder whip. Oh, and a bit of time just spent staring at it...lol.

I mentioned the 3-piece skid plates in a previous post. Here is a couple pics of them a few months back when I had the frame flipped over.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:57 PM

It's weird seeing the axles welded to the frame.
Makes it alot easier to build though.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's weird seeing the axles welded to the frame.
Makes it alot easier to build though.
Cuts down on axle wrap too....
Old 12-22-2020, 05:38 PM

Done for another set of days off. Still some tube to add but what’s there is now all fully welded out. The side braces have been cut out and all the tube ends have been plugged and and ground smooth.

All that’s left is the rest...lol.