Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Tell me about Savage 99's.

I recently, out of the blue, started gassing for a 99'. Just wondering what the finer points of shopping around for one would be?

I think ideally I'd like one with a tang safety, dont really like detatchable mags, I like rifles with short barrels that are relatively light... not sure if I want to scope it or not, and what after market sight options are like.

I really do like the .300 Savage, never shopped around for ammo, but not being a reloader I'd probably be better off with a .308?
Old 11-09-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I really do like the .300 Savage, never shopped around for ammo, but not being a reloader I'd probably be better off with a .308?
Can’t comment on the rest, but on this you would definitely be better off with a .308. That would be for price and selection.

Side note, you were looking for Core-Lokt for your 30-06, there are some 150’s available in PR Canadian Tire at $52 per box. Not sure if you prefer heavier bullets though.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Can’t comment on the rest, but on this you would definitely be better off with a .308. That would be for price and selection.

Side note, you were looking for Core-Lokt for your 30-06, there are some 150’s available in PR Canadian Tire at $52 per box. Not sure if you prefer heavier bullets though.
I picked up a box of 165's at my Crappy Tire, I'll probably use them next year when I wont have a moose tag. In general, I've always felt that if I didnt want to use a 180 grain bullet, I wouldnt bother with a .30 cal round. If I ever lost my mind and bought a .300 mag I'd likely go even heavyer.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:43 PM

They are called savage 99 because 99% of the stocks are cracked or broken otherwise cool design
Old 11-09-2023, 03:07 PM

The newer they get the quality goods down. Example 308 is a great cartridge but I would much rather 300 Savage just because its in the older rifle.
250/3000 is a sweet little varmit deer gun.
You could get therm in a 358 if u needed more power than 300.
The 32/40,300 and 308 are what I have most experience with.
Accuraracy wasn't the most consistent with 99s. Depends on chambering reamer and how wore out it was at factory when they replaced it. Green wood drying and splitting on the tangs was a thing with newer ones.
Overall great design. If you can find one with rotary brass magazine and counter on the side that also has a tang safety. These are my favorite ones. Good trigger, great saddle gun.
If you don't reload you are probably better off with something newer
Old 11-09-2023, 03:34 PM

Unless you find one with the “Monte Carlo” butt stock, they take a scope very poorly. As in can we say cheek weld? And that’s if the trained rat who drilled and tapped the receiver actually got the scope base holes in line with the bore.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-09-2023, 05:06 PM

Default All 99's Ive owned

shot 3 shots under an inch with handloads scoped. Glass bedding just the forend tip and playing with the screw tweaked them for best accuracy.Other options include a small piece of cardboard from an ammunition box under the forend tip along with the same witchcraft.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
They are called savage 99 because 99% of the stocks are cracked or broken otherwise cool design

That's kind of harsh, but yes, they are prone to cracks in the tang area. Something to look for when buying, but as long as you are aware, a fairly easy repair to strengthen and eliminate future problems.

And yes, a cool design.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:23 PM

First gun as a kid was a savage 99C in .243 handed down to me. Old weaver scope on it and that gun was a tack driver. Small cloverleafs.
Still have it but can't even remember last time I pulled it out. One day I should..
Old 11-09-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
First gun as a kid was a savage 99C in .243 handed down to me. Old weaver scope on it and that gun was a tack driver. Small cloverleafs.
Still have it but can't even remember last time I pulled it out. One day I should..
Mine was the same except in a 308. I was going to hunt with it this year actually. I haven’t taken a deer with it since 1996. I still might pull it out this weekend and see if it would be feasible to take it out still this year.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-09-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:40 PM

It's funny talking about the .300 savage or .308. Wasn't the .300 savage the parent case to the .308?

I have one in .303 that I got when I was a kid. And yep its one of the 99% with a cracked stock. This one is hard to find ammo for. I do have a few boxes, and 100 pieces of new brass. Plus they say you shouldn't, but I fired a bunch of 30-30 out of it. I think that's what did the stock in.

They have a neat magazine. With a cool counter on the side to let you know how many rounds you have left. And I love levers.

I don't shoot mine a lot. But I'll never get rid of it.

Grab one if you can!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Mine was the same except in a 308. I was going to hunt with it this year actually. I haven’t taken a deer with it since 1996. I still might.
Nice. I shot my first whitetail with mine.
Dad killed his first bighorn with it back in the day before I got it.
Who says you need a 5lb speed demon for sheep lol
Old 11-09-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
It's funny talking about the .300 savage or .308. Wasn't the .300 savage the parent case to the .308?

I have one in .303 that I got when I was a kid. And yep its one of the 99% with a cracked stock. This one is hard to find ammo for. I do have a few boxes, and 100 pieces of new brass. Plus they say you shouldn't, but I fired a bunch of 30-30 out of it. I think that's what did the stock in.

They have a neat magazine. With a cool counter on the side to let you know how many rounds you have left. And I love levers.

I don't shoot mine a lot. But I'll never get rid of it.

Grab one if you can!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
I always thought the .300 ran closer to the .303 brit for velocity? I think the case is very similar to the .308, but it must run at a lower pressure?

When I was a young kid my grandfather promised me an 1899 that is much like yours. Unfortunately he died before I got my PAL and my uncle got all the guns, any mention of him parting with that rifle is not well received.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-09-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Nice. I shot my first whitetail with mine.
Dad killed his first bighorn with it back in the day before I got it.
Who says you need a 5lb speed demon for sheep lol
I also killed my first WT with mine. Killed all kinds of stuff with it until the gun bug bit me bad. I’ve been chasing my tail and perfection ever since.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Mine was the same except in a 308. I was going to hunt with it this year actually. I haven’t taken a deer with it since 1996. I still might pull it out this weekend and see if it would be feasible to take it out still this year.
How do you find the recoil with that rifle VS other .308's? I'd imagine the stock dimensions likely changed over the years of production, so possibly some would kick/ fit different than others?
Old 11-09-2023, 08:36 PM

I have a Savage 1899 250-3000 take-down made in 1915. It’s all original and a a good friend who recently passed had both a tang sight and a receiver sight that we worked out a trade for. I definitely have to get it out in memory of my friend . It’s one of the 1 % that doesn’t have a cracked stock 😁
Old 11-09-2023, 08:39 PM

I’ve got one in .308 you can borrow to try out if you want. See if it’s worth buying one. They’re neat guns. I’d love to find a nice walnut stock for mine.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
How do you find the recoil with that rifle VS other .308's? I'd imagine the stock dimensions likely changed over the years of production, so possibly some would kick/ fit different than others?
It definitely has muzzle rise. But I haven’t shot it in so long I can’t remember. Maybe I’ll shoot it tomorrow. :-)
Old 11-09-2023, 09:39 PM

300 Savage has lighter recoil then the .308 and in my opinion is a better choice for the action. You give up nothing, as far as the critter is concerned. If you can find one with a brass counter/rotor mag you will have a gem. The cracked stock while it is true it puts it in the same category as Winchester, Remington etc. It is an easy fix. A little glue and a brass cross pin is all you need. I like the the older buck horn sights myself but always wanted to have a tang mounted peep sight just for sag. The slide safety on the side of the lever is my personal choice, never cared much for the tang safety due to the fact the wrist section was a know weak spot already. Good luck!

P.S. the rifle was never meant for a scope.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:19 PM

Had a couple with rotary mag in 250-3000 and 358 win nice but not my cup-o-tea
Old 11-09-2023, 11:35 PM

My first deer rifle was a 99 in .308. It’s a
Safe queen these days. Not sure it’s exact again, but it does have the internal rotary magazine with the shell counter,
I’m 98% sure it still works even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-10-2023, 11:29 AM

I have a couple 99's and so does my father.

My father has a both the 300 sav and 308. The 300 is less recoil but not by a whole lot.

They shoot straight and are pretty accurate, put a 2.5x or 4x scope on it and you can manage groups around an inch.

There's a few variations as well in the 99 series such as the 99F or Featherlite where the barrel is thin for weight reduction and as well as the 99C which uses a magazine instead of the internal rotary magazine, down side of that is the magazine holds only 4 rounds and the internal hold 5 and you lose the round counter feature.

I would personally go with the 308 for your sake since you don't reload. 300 sav is $60 plus if you can find it. 308 is cheaper and plentiful
Old 11-10-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyRendy View Post
I have a couple 99's and so does my father.

My father has a both the 300 sav and 308. The 300 is less recoil but not by a whole lot.

They shoot straight and are pretty accurate, put a 2.5x or 4x scope on it and you can manage groups around an inch.

There's a few variations as well in the 99 series such as the 99F or Featherlite where the barrel is thin for weight reduction and as well as the 99C which uses a magazine instead of the internal rotary magazine, down side of that is the magazine holds only 4 rounds and the internal hold 5 and you lose the round counter feature.

I would personally go with the 308 for your sake since you don't reload. 300 sav is $60 plus if you can find it. 308 is cheaper and plentiful
Thanks for a the advice, one thing I noticed is that 180 grain factory loads seem to be currently non existant for the .300. I'm sure they must have been availible at some point, but seem to have been discontinued.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:57 PM

Picked up a 99 a few years ago. 38-55, octagon barrel and marbles tang peep. Loaded up some Barnes originals in 255gr with a good dose of IMR 3031. Shoots better than can shoot. 1”groups at 100yds. Try to take it out every season when conditions are perfect for stalking the woods and trying to rattle up a big buck. Have yet to draw blood with it.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Picked up a 99 a few years ago. 38-55, octagon barrel and marbles tang peep. Loaded up some Barnes originals in 255gr with a good dose of IMR 3031. Shoots better than can shoot. 1”groups at 100yds. Try to take it out every season when conditions are perfect for stalking the woods and trying to rattle up a big buck. Have yet to draw blood with it.
Wow that sounds like such a nice gun. Ive had quite a few 26" rifles but never ever even saw in real life one with octagon barrel. Only in books. Sounds so nice.