Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Default Anyone own a APA Inovations "King Cobra" ?

A bubby of mine is going to buy a new bow this spring and was looking at the APA King Cobras or one of their other models.
Does anyone own one or know someone who does?
They have several interesting features.

Thoughts and "opinions"

Thanks
Phil
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM

I am sure Blackmamba could tell you about them as well as Traviski .
Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM

I have a Mamba MX1 that i really like.. the King just has too low a brace height for me to be comfortable with. very good speed and KE out of the MX1, i have it sighted to 80 yards and can hold a tight group there if its not too windy out. would def. reccomend APA bows.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 AM

I shot mathews, but after shooting a couple of APA's I bought an APA target bow, and this year I'll have to order from Nibal a new hunting bow, I'm intrested to see this year new line. Great bows, canadian, and a smaller company who still cares about there clients.

And no I'm not sponsored or a pro staff for APA i just love there bows.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 AM

I forgot Pottymouth has one as well. He is a little funny looking but he is still good. (LOL)
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Mx2

I due for a new bow this year. A buddy bought the APA MX2 last year and im almost set on one myself. Ive tried it and was very impressed on the smoothness and very quiet.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM

I have had a Mamba MX1 since the end of June, and love it. Very accurate, and the KE is insane. I have a long draw length, but 310fps with 440gr arrows is stupid fast.
Like I said, I really like the bow, my only gripe was the crap Scorpion string, but a good custom fixes that.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 AM

the king cobra is like any other high end bow . fast and torque with a low brace height . In order to get the speed you have to sacrifice the brace height . Which means its going to be less forgiving. These speed bows are not for everyone . They are however a great bow very smooth and quit aswell . I shoot the x2 as my target bow , and its great I love it . I dont think it really matter which apa you go with they produce a great product .. Although some call them the "swiss army bow " of the industry, they are canadian made and have great reviews !!

If your in calgary check them out at the calgary archery centre , I am sure they have the full line up of apa,, good luck !!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm not going to hi-jack the thread but,
sence this is my first post I will say Hi
to everyone! I've heard alot about this
forum and have been reading for awhile
so I thought I'd join.
My name is Chad and I'm in cowtown!

Anyway, my question is directed to Blackmamba..
Whats the reasoning behind the 'swiss-army bow' ?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutWarning View Post
I'm not going to hi-jack the thread but,
sence this is my first post I will say Hi
to everyone! I've heard alot about this
forum and have been reading for awhile
so I thought I'd join.
My name is Chad and I'm in cowtown!

Anyway, my question is directed to Blackmamba..
Whats the reasoning behind the 'swiss-army bow' ?
welcome to the board chad

Some guys call it that because of the convetional tools that are incorporated in the bow itself ( fang riser , built in handle, knife sharpener , knock turner aswell as the broadhead insert to tighten your broadheads ). Me personally think its a great innovation and caters to the bowhunter needs in the field !!

hope that answers your quetions !!

mamba,
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Some guys call it that because of the convetional tools that are incorporated in the bow itself ( fang riser , built in handle, knife sharpener , knock turner aswell as the broadhead insert to tighten your broadheads ). Me personally think its a great innovation and caters to the bowhunter needs in the field !!

mamba,

Blackmamba, do you work for APA?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 PM

I have been shooting a Mamba X2 the last two falls. I love it. It shoots great, is fast, and relatively quiet. Lot's of unique little features as well. I was a year early on the pin to hold the cams in place, but it will be a feature on my next bow. One of the staff in Biggar said to wait to see what is coming in next years lineup. He told a buddy that is looking for a new bow that it will be worth the wait. Highly recommended.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post

mamba,

Blackmamba, do you work for APA?
Nope !!! dont work for them just enjoy shooting their bows !!

Why do you ask ??
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM

I shoot the apa viper,not the speed demon that the MX 1 or 2 is, but I don't think I'll shoot another bow. Very shooter friendly,smooth, I absolutely love it. I will not hesitate taking it to Africa in the very near future!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM

On a side note,can't stand the twister rest they make. I have a trophy taker on my bow.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM

blackmamba, you may not work for them but are you one of their shooters? You seem to plug them pretty good ......... Definatly unbias
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM

i shoot the apa viper and i realy enjoy it .. i have shot lots of differant bow but this is one i like the best...I recommend a apa bow anytime.. this is just my opinion !!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XprtHntr View Post
blackmamba, you may not work for them but are you one of their shooters? You seem to plug them pretty good ......... Definatly unbias
He doesn't plug them nearly as bad as some other pro staff , who recently joined on here
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I have been accused of being payed off to promote certain items (go Leupold rarara!), but the fact is when some of us use a good product and receive above average service, be plug for the guys, as we want them to be successful. I like APA and Bowtech bows. Good product for a good price. Simple as that.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM

rem338win, is that kinda like being a chevy or a ford guy? You and blackmamba must be chevy guys ......... Most chevy guys are like that.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 AM

I shoot prostaff for APA and they make good bows. I would suggest that you shoot whatever type of bow you are looking at. The king cobra is not a beginner bow in my mind, if you have any form flaws you will notice it on the accuracy part. I would suggest going to an archery shop and trying each and every brand of bow you can get you hands on. These days there is not really any bad bows made, the bow companies would be out of business before long if they had crappy bows.

Do some checking out on the net and look at all the specs on whatever bows you want to try and then find a shop that has them so you can go try them out and see what one fits you best. Every company should have the 2010 lineup on the web by now and you can do a really good comparison of the specs before going looking.

Everyone has what type of bow they like and makes no diff, if the bows do not fit you then it is not goin to work worth a crap for you.

Goodluck in you endeavours and hope you find the bow that works the best for you, weather it is an APA, Bowtech, Hoyt, Elite, etc.........
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
rem338win, is that kinda like being a chevy or a ford guy? You and blackmamba must be chevy guys ......... Most chevy guys are like that.
Ouch. I hate Chevy. And Ford. I like Dodge to a point, but even then......
No, I am more of a "if it works real good and they give good service, I will plug for them" type of guy. Opinions are usually formed from experience, hopefully your own.
I have a really long list of things I don't like if you have a violin........
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
definately not a chev fan , thats for !!! So how a bout we stick to the topic at hand . Like REM338 said if you have a good experiance with a product you are likely to tell your friends about it ..
Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM

I am a bowtech fan myself but Know a few guys who shoot APA bows and they all love them. I would shoot as many brands as possible and see what one fits you the best.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
I forgot Pottymouth has one as well. He is a little funny looking but he is still good. (LOL)
Thx Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
I am a bowtech fan myself but Know a few guys who shoot APA bows and they all love them. I would shoot as many brands as possible and see what one fits you the best.
I argree with Argo Guy, try them all first, but Bowtech has been known to slay some monster non typical doe's!!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 PM

I can't speak on the king cobra but this summer I bought the MX2 Blackmamba and love it. I would think the quality would be right up there.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM

I have had a mx2 for a year and a half and love it for hunting and 3d shooting, great speed and kentic force
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Hi, I have had the king cobra since last may and have no complaints what so ever, I have had many many bows over the years and it is the most shooter friendly speed bow that I have ever owned. I do not recomend it to a new shooter, but if you have solid form and a good bt release it will put the arrow where it's pointed every time. I currently hunt with an 08 X2 and couldnt be happier with either model.
here is a little bit more info for you also
king cobra --331 fps @27.5" 5.2 gpp 3d arrow
08-X2------291fps @27.5" 426 gr hunting arrow
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 AM

I bought a APA Viper in July 08. 1 week after I bought it I had a robinhood at 30 meters since then Ive had two more 1 in hunt camp with broad heads.I shoot a 2" group at 50 meters. Ive been shooting and bowhunting for almost 30 years and only had 3 robinhoods prier to this bow. Ive never shot a bow that is so forgiving.I also quit shooting at the same spot on my targets.LOL
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD1 View Post
Hi, I have had the king cobra since last may and have no complaints what so ever, I have had many many bows over the years and it is the most shooter friendly speed bow that I have ever owned. I do not recomend it to a new shooter, but if you have solid form and a good bt release it will put the arrow where it's pointed every time. I currently hunt with an 08 X2 and couldnt be happier with either model.
here is a little bit more info for you also
king cobra --331 fps @27.5" 5.2 gpp 3d arrow
08-X2------291fps @27.5" 426 gr hunting arrow
291 fps with a 27.5 draw length and an 426 gr arrow?? I have a 29 inch draw length and my arrow is 400 gr. I only got 288fps but I am only at 65 lbs. Maybe one of our chrono's is out. BTW I have the 09 MX2.