Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Switching to a long bow

I have been hunting with my compound for years now and last year started to play around with a long bow. I find the chalange of instictive shooting very addictive. So far i have taken a bear and a whitetail buck with it. I am hoping for an elk this year. Just wondering if anyone else on here has given it a try and been bitten by the bug?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Started shooting a longbow last year, haven't taken it out hunting yet but looking forward to. Congrats on the bear and wt with yours!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM

I smashed a squirrel with my weapon of mass distruction. I used a 57 pound long bow and a bear two blade broad head. Clean one shot kill. That's how I roll.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Ive been doing it since my teens i believe. I just havent been hunting with trad bows since i think 2006. Guns are just more efficient for me to fill the freezer when I dont have a pile of time to get out in the woods
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I smashed a squirrel with my weapon of mass distruction. I used a 57 pound long bow and a bear two blade broad head. Clean one shot kill. That's how I roll.
How many yards was the squirrel? Was there a cross wind? Was it a pass through? Will it be on the outdoor quest? Pease tell the whole story!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

I just started this winter and love it. Even when its freezing out I go shoot arrows in the yard after work every day. My wife tells me that its a fine hobby but that it seems like a terrible way to hunt. I cant realy work up any desire to shoot my compound anymore though.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
How many yards was the squirrel? Was there a cross wind? Was it a pass through? Will it be on the outdoor quest? Pease tell the whole story!
7 yards, Frontal shot as he was charging, exited just above the scrodum, Will not be on Outdoor Quest. Rich and TJ said a frontal shot with archery equipment is unethical and can't be shown on TV. Next time I am sneaking in for a broadside high shoulder shot so we get that bang flop effect.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
7 yards, Frontal shot as he was charging, exited just above the scrodum, Will not be on Outdoor Quest. Rich and TJ said a frontal shot with archery equipment is unethical and can't be shown on TV. Next time I am sneaking in for a broadside high shoulder shot so we get that bang flop effect.
Now thats funny lol

I have been thinking of trying out the longbow but still have plenty of animals to kill with Compound so Im going to wait..
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Bitten by the bug for sure! I bought a longbow a couple of years ago (I now have 2) a Robertson and a Quartermoon, at the same time I shelved the wheely bow I think for good. The simplicity of traditional archery appeals to me, no pins, peeps or pulleys to fuss with just string it and go. There's something magical about watching a wooden feather fletched arrow streak towards your target.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM

I have a quartermoon long bow as well. Its a beautiful bow and shoots as good as it looks. I haven't been able to take down a red squirrel yet like running bear but i will be working on it this year. I have actually tried hunting geese twice with it and there isn't a safer bird in the sky but that is a lot of fun to. I don't know if i will ever be able to give up the compound on whitetails though. I set a goal of killing a net 150 deer with my compound and now that i have done that i just want to up the anti to 160. The thought of killing a pope and young deer with my long bow is very apealing as well though. I guess i will just have to see what shoes up on my deer cams and make a decision from there.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 PM

They are a blast to shoot, I have a pile of fun stump shooting with them.

Here's my first trad kill, from this spring.

Was packing the wrong bow this fall when a book whitetail wouldn't come any closer then 30 yards. It still hurts.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Nice bear. Here is a pic of my son with my first whitetail.mathew long bow 001.jpg
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Since I switched from the wheels to a stick I have not looked back.I only shoot longbows and recurves now, and am taking a strong interest in primitive bows too.
Pete
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Default bitten... infected... and contagious

I love shooting primitive gear. One day soon I hope to get up enough nerve to try my hand at building a longbow. I have yet to draw my recurve on anything other than targets with it. I was close this year. I'm with you on seeing elk as the primo challenge.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Nice bear. Here is a pic of my son with my first whitetail.Attachment 32748
thats an awesome picture
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Was packing the wrong bow this fall when a book whitetail wouldn't come any closer then 30 yards. It still hurts.
Isnt that the truth. Nice bear BTW
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
thats an awesome picture
Thanks bigbore. That was a awesome day. I took that whitetail on rembrance day in the exact spot where i had spread my mom and dads ashes that fall. On top of this my uncle Bert was hunting with me. He made the bow for me last spring, so he got to see his craftmanship in action. Then to share the excitment of my 3 year old taking pics with the deer toped things off. This is one of the smaller deer i have taken but one of the biggest trophies.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM

I am a very experienced traditional archer, and have taken many animals down with hand crafted arrows shot from my 100 lb english long bow. My perferred method of stealth is the ground blind. Personaly I would not choose to harvest an immature whitetail. for fear of what it may do to the gene pool, If it aint big i dont shoot, mabey with some practice and alot of time spent afield you too will harvest a mature buck. Keep trying and never give up and have fun
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by little beaver View Post
I am a very experienced traditional archer, and have taken many animals down with hand crafted arrows shot from my 100 lb english long bow. My perferred method of stealth is the ground blind. Personaly I would not choose to harvest an immature whitetail. for fear of what it may do to the gene pool, If it aint big i dont shoot, mabey with some practice and alot of time spent afield you too will harvest a mature buck. Keep trying and never give up and have fun
lol... dislike comment!!!
that is truley a trophy because of the story behind it... congrats!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
lol... dislike comment!!!
that is truley a trophy because of the story behind it... congrats!!!!
Personaly I wouldnt take that coment too seriously for a good number of different reasons which are probably obvious to most.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Personaly I wouldnt take that coment too seriously for a good number of different reasons which are probably obvious to most.
i guess i didnt get the memo... why is it obvious to most? actually nevermind... i just looked at his profile
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little beaver View Post
Little beaver i appreciate the advice. I was wondering when your in stelth mode do you walk around with the ground blind on top of you and stop in intervals? Do you also have a custom blind to fit that old english long bow? My last question is do you wear a robin hood type out fit while a feild, complete with tites?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM

I also hunt from a ground blind when using traditional equipment! Though I do not have a robin hood costume I do shoot an english long bow, and believe that when hunting everyone should stop in intervals to look listen and smell. Keep on keepen on little beave
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
i guess i didnt get the memo... why is it obvious to most? actually nevermind... i just looked at his profile
Aside from the profile and the rash of weirdo's we've had join and get banned lately the way that whole post is written gives off the vibe that it is either a half informed kid trying to sound like a pro or possibly someone with a slightly challenged grasp of the english language. My first guess would be the first option. Just what I thought when I read that post.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Pistols View Post
I also hunt from a ground blind when using traditional equipment! Though I do not have a robin hood costume I do shoot an english long bow, and believe that when hunting everyone should stop in intervals to look listen and smell. Keep on keepen on little beave
This post just confirmed my guess about Little Beaver being a mall ninja. In all likelyhood both posts will be sporting "Banned" befor long. Curious to see if "Little Beaver" is now going to step in and deffend "Holly Pistols" or if yet ANOTHER english longbow expert who likes ground blinds will make his first post, throwing in some extremely basic hunting lore in an attempt to look legit.

Last edited by Cal; 03-03-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
This post just confirmed my guess about Little Beaver being a mall ninja. In all likelyhood both posts will be sporting "Banned" befor long. Curious if "Little Beaver" is going to step in to deffend "Holly Pistols" or if yet ANOTHER english longbow expert who likes ground blinds will make his first post, throwing in some extremely basic hunting lore in an attempt to look legit.
I can tell you, even an American long bow is no picnic in a blind, and they are several inches shorter than an English bow!
Crap, even my 56" flat bow is not much fun in a ground blind!
Cat
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I can tell you, even an American long bow is no picnic in a blind, and they are several inches shorter than an English bow!
Crap, even my 56" flat bow is not much fun in a ground blind!
Cat
Yeah the ground blind thing was just his first charecters attempt to look like he knew what he was talking about along with the weird deer genetics thing. Having screwed that up royaly his second guy goes back to the basics.

You know what... I often stopped to listen and look but did not bother to do very much smelling last season. Thats probably why I was forced to take a deer that was not completely mature which will undoubtedly jepordise future generations of deer. But on the bright side I did take him from ground blind so I was doing somthing right
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, the 100 lb draw really raised my eyebrows, and then the gene pool thing just made me laugh!!
Someone OBVIOUSLY has no clue of what they are talking about or who they are talking to......
Cat
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

HA HA HA.... its the same guy!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

holly pistols is a little beaver!!!!