Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Default South Dakota Pheasant

I am interested in heading down to SD for a pheasant hunt this year and was wondering if any AO members could give me some advice on areas, outfitters, private land vs public land, land owner contacts...... I have never been so any advice would be greatly appreciated. There's 4 of us going and we have a dog.

thanks in advanced.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

Default Pheasant Heaven

3 roosters a day and 5 days limit in possession. We have been going for 15 yrs and last yr was the best ever. Hunt private land if you can afford it-remember that farmers there usually charge for access. East of the river is probably the best. Go on the Internet and do some searching. It isn't cheap. It is a 20 hr drive from Alberta. You also need to apply and get a permit to take your guns into the US
Great people in SD Hardly any Libbtards/Democrats.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:40 PM

Default question for deadmoose

Deadmoose, would you mind giving us a bit more info. How much can you expect to pay a landowner. How do you contact them? Internet? Drive around once you're there? I had heard the bird population was down, not so?

Would love to take my dad, better get on it, his knees are giving him more grief.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Default follow up deadmoose

wow I just tried googling "SD pheasant hunting" - little overwhelming. Ton's of private ranches and guides. Anybody have info to share about whittling things down, getting an inside scoop?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:46 PM

Stay in Mitchell, as hotels are reasonable and Cabelas has a big store there. Good restaurants and lots of friendly people. There are lots of private/guided places close buy. You will probably be around $250 a day. Birds are incredible and lots of fun to be had. It's about a 16 hr Drive to Mitchell.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Banned

Default SD Rooster heaven

2013 was a poor year but 2014 was the best for the last 10 yrs. Mitchell is a good place. Also,the area east of Pierre (the capital city's) is a great area too. Hunting on private land with an outfitter is likely $150 to $250 per hunter per day but like most things in life--you get what you pay for. You need a good dog too
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 PM

the Numbers are getting good again in SD. If they get a good spring, next season should be real good. I hunt about 60 miles northwest of mitchell on a private farm. We pay 150 a day for the farmer to keep up his food plots. pretty much any where west of mitchell north to aberdeen then west to the river. Is prime Pheasant country. I don't know what a lodge charges, but would be probably around 200 a day
Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Default Pheasants

I grew up in Minnesota and went to school in North Dakota. I've hunted South Dakota quite a bit. I would go and focus on wma's, walk in hunting areas, and wpa's. These are all open to the public and a few years ago maps could be accessed at licence vendors and through the mail from their wildlife agency. I would also focus on private farms. Stop and ask permission and be willing to pay for access. Mitchell area is good. I've hunted it. But any area with good grasslands, crop land, and tree rows will be good. Don't discount North Dakota either as you drive through. Excellent hunting west river in ND. In SD stay east river as a general rule. ND plots, or public land open to sportsmen, maps would be a great resource for hunting there. The Dakotas are fantastic north or south for birds.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Default Pheasants

For those that have gone any particular land owner names you could share? As previously mentioned there are tons of possibilities (450+) on U Guide website. Any specifics would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Default I have a good friend that lives there an takes guys out

Pm me if your interested.youll be covered up in ditch parrots
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Default SD Pheasant!

Used to go to SD every year but haven't for a few! If you're looking at only SD, I would suggest the Dallas, Winner area - south of Pierre. You will be within driving distance of Nebraska as well!
To mimimize the driving (saves a day each way) we also used to go to Streeter, ND and then across to SD. Can do both states every day -doubles the daily & possession limits.
WHICHEVER way you go get a copy of the latest CRP lands. you'll definitely need a dog.
Good luck -lots of pheasants/fun!!!