Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Ameristep Doghouse Blind

Does anyone have one of these. They got em at WalMart for $75 and I thought it would be good for calling coyotes with kids. They have trouble sitting still, I want to keep it fun for them. Would there be enough room for an Adult and kid or 2?
Also do the blinds bother the Coyotes. I have always just sat on the ground with my back to a tree.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Banned

I don't think this was an Ameristep, but the model is very similar. This was quite a few years ago but my cousin and I hunted out of this, and there was lots of room for two of us, should be lots of room for an adult and 2 kids. Never tried it for coyotes, but it never hurts to brush it up a bit, to break the outline.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 AM

Thumbs up

My wife loves her's.
Only downfall is it gets a bit damp from condensation if really cold out. might be a spot tight for you plus 2 kids
Old 02-22-2015, 09:34 PM

I have one. Fast set up and take down. Me and my buddy have hunted out of it and it's a little snug (I'm pretty big though at 6'3 and 250lbs) but once we were on our stools there was more than enough room to grab my pack get some thing and put it back behind me and move the rifle from front to the side windows and the same for him. No experience with coyotes or deer for that matter but we did have some moose, one the stopped about 20 yards in front of us and hung around for about 15 mins before moving along. I paid $110 at wholesale 2 seasons ago. For $75 you can't go wrong.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 AM

I like mine - to hunt solo from. It's very portable - I attach it to my day-pack so it's out of the way and it weighs very little.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Great thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 PM

Nice and small and light, but ideal for only one person unless you will only be shooting head on - no room to manouver otherwise!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HintonRob View Post
Does anyone have one of these. They got em at WalMart for $75 and I thought it would be good for calling coyotes with kids. They have trouble sitting still, I want to keep it fun for them. Would there be enough room for an Adult and kid or 2?
Also do the blinds bother the Coyotes. I have always just sat on the ground with my back to a tree.
Yes. It's tight, but when the girls were small, we all fit in there.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Pretty nice setup!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HintonRob View Post
These are great, cheap and serve the purpose, seen them in the woods and on the ice as well.
Had a few over the years, one stolen and one got thrashed by a bear, need a few more for this fall.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-02-2015, 03:31 PM

I bought one early last season, but ended up bringing it back because it was a bit too tight for use with my ancient massive bow.

For rifle I think it would have been great. Hard to beat for the price and ease of use.