Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Calling all experienced coyote hunters

I recently started coyote hunting. Apart from the 2 I dispatched in my front yard when they were harassing my puppy, I managed to get another 4. I have the Primos Turbo Dog
My questions to you guys are the following:

1.What call do I start out with, i.e. cottontail in distress, pup in distress, serenade? (or any suggestions)

2. At what stage would I change the call during the hunt, i.e. if I start with cottontail, do I stick with it till I leave, or do I switch to pup in distress after 20 minutes?

3.If the coyotes keep yipping in the trees, but refuse to come out, what is holding them back? Did they smell/see me? Are they looking for the cottontail but can't see it and thus won't come out? Or were they staying back because of the wrong call?

4. Early morning or late afternoon?

5. Windy or calm?

6. Sunny or overcast?

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-30-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 PM

1.What call do I start out with, i.e. cottontail in distress, pup in distress, serenade? (or any suggestions)
Cotton in distress.

2. At what stage would I change the call during the hunt, i.e. if I start with cottontail. I stick with it till I leave. I switch to pup in distress after 20 minutes?
I typically don't switch from cotton distress, just think would a wounded rabbit to wounded coyote make sense? Serenade to pup in distress after 10. Locator howls to challenge calls to kiyi over 20 minutes.

3.If the coyotes keep yipping in the tress, but refuse to come out, what is holding them back? Did they smell/see me? Are they looking for the cottontail but can't see it and thus won't come out? Or were they staying back because of the wrong call?
Probably would get a spinning target or a coyote decoy, and yes mind your wind direction and cover.

4. Early morning or late afternoon?
Any time of the day..

5. Windy or calm?
Odds aren't in your favour when windy but they will still come.

6. Sunny or overcast?
Sunny and cold out is best, they will be out sunbathing.

Play safe and have fun.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 PM

This time of year, pup distress, female howls, challenge howls, work best imo.
Sex drive usually tops prey drive right about now. I dont even bother with distress calls.
Sunny and below - 5 with calm wind are my favorite conditions.
If coyotes are talking back 500 yards out, move towards them a hundred yards or so, then play some challenge howls. Just my opinion.
Happy hunting.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:07 PM

so with pup/coyote in distress, are they coming to help it or are they coming to eat it?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=Immigrant;2718115]so with pup/coyote in distress, are they coming to help it or are they coming to eat it?[/QUOTE/
Could be one or the other, they do both.

Edit:just wanted to add.
If you are calling in an area with few trees or bushes, or just cant move towards the held up coyotes. Having some sort of visual attractant 50 yards in front of you can make a world of difference . Whether it be a fox-pro, a cut out coyote decoy, or a white cotton sock with some sort of scent rubbed on it suspended in the air with a metal coathanger. These all give them something else to focus on.
Once again just my opinion of what works.

Last edited by Hydro1; 01-30-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 PM

I prefer calling during overcast days personally, keeps the shiney surfaces (gun, glasses) from glaring.

LC
Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I prefer calling during overcast days personally, keeps the shiney surfaces (gun, glasses) from glaring.

LC
X2 and if it is sunny, get in the shade when you make a stand. I have yet to not be spotted a long ways out, sitting in sunshine.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 PM

1. there is no right or wrong answer to this one. some folks will tell you its best to start out with a lone howl or interrogation howl to announce an intruders presence to the area and some will tell you to start with distress. i have used and had both work.

2. depends on the country i am calling in. if it is long flat prairie i give it more time than if im hunting thick bush to allow the coyotes time to get to me. a good general rule is about 5 min in between sounds used.

3. if you ever find the true answer to this let me know! often its because they have you made and are announcing it to the world but not always. i find lots of short barks followed by a quick sharp howl then more barking means he has you made and its time to move on. if not try switching it up from howl to distress or distress to howl depending on what set them off in the first place.

5.mornings seem to be best with late afternoon being just as good but for me i find any time i can get out is a good time to call coyotes.

5.calm is better for calling but not impossible sound travels easier and farther when its calm.

6.so far i cant tell the difference. if its sunny stick to the shade and above all else wear good camo.

hope this helps. good luck!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:10 AM

Make sure to always call in English - coyotes don't understand Dutch or French.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
so with pup/coyote in distress, are they coming to help it or are they coming to eat it?

They send in the medic from their platoon in to help their wounded soldier

Man you should see the coyotes at suffield they're trained and all you put on pup distress and they use their military experience at its best
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
make sure to always call in english - coyotes don't understand dutch or french.

😄😄
Old 01-31-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
They send in the medic from their platoon in to help their wounded soldier

Man you should see the coyotes at suffield they're trained and all you put on pup distress and they use their military experience at its best
Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 AM

I typically start with a higher pitched interrogation howl. Like a younger coyote. If I get an answer, I'll wait 1-2 minutes, then go to a distress. Pups in distress in early season, then anything during the rest of the year. I'll only change sounds if I get a hang up. If the dog is sitting out there, acting non-interested, then I'll change it up, lip squeak or change the tone all together. Hang ups could be caused by alot of things, but typically I find they've seen or smelt something they don't like. Or else a broken call, like a screwed up howl or you get a split in your reed or the speakers are crackling or popping.
My best luck has come in late afternoon, at last light, but will call all day. Better luck when it is calm. And I prefer overcast days.
I've found best is to get into areas where they live. This may mean walking a few extra yards to get into those creek bottoms or drainages. And look for rabbit sign. Where's there's rabbits, there's coyotes. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Ranch11;2718420] Hang ups could be caused by alot of things, but typically I find they've seen or smelt something they don't like. Or else a broken call, like a screwed up howl or you get a split in your reed or the speakers are crackling or popping.

Just curious what you mean by "I find" or did you mean you "assume" they have seen or smelled something.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Well, I got one this morning. Started out with the interrogation howl, and then wanted to switch to the female howl. I was looking at the remote trying to find the female on the menu and when i looked up there was a coyote standing 10feet from the call. 5 minutes and the first one was down. I moved to another spot but no action. Tried interrogation, female, then pups and then cottontail. All the ravens showed up but no dogs
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I got one this morning. Started out with the interrogation howl, and then wanted to switch to the female howl. I was looking at the remote trying to find the female on the menu and when i looked up there was a coyote standing 10feet from the call. 5 minutes and the first one was down. I moved to another spot but no action. Tried interrogation, female, then pups and then cottontail. All the ravens showed up but no dogs
Get a decoy this time of year. They are on the edge of mating where I am.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Get a decoy this time of year. They are on the edge of mating where I am.
When is mating time? Is it consistent, like beginning feb every year? What signs/ behaviour tell you mating season is happing
Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
When is mating time? Is it consistent, like beginning feb every year? What signs tell you mating season is happing
You see them pairing up and are very active all times of the day. Its about this time of year, I just keep tabs on their activity is all. If your using an electronic caller, try the female challenge. You will see them run in.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
You see them pairing up and are very active all times of the day. Its about this time of year, I just keep tabs on their activity is all. If your using an electronic caller, try the female challenge. You will see them run in.
Another question. Do you guys put the caller right next to the decoy/wobbler? Or do you put it halfway between you and decoy? The range on my unit is about 30 yards if placed on the ground. About 50yards when on a fence post. That puts me close to the action. Do the dogs know the sound is not coming from the decoy. I would like to be a little further from the decoy/caller
Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Another question. Do you guys put the caller right next to the decoy/wobbler? Or do you put it halfway between you and decoy? The range on my unit is about 30 yards if placed on the ground. About 50yards when on a fence post. That puts me close to the action. Do the dogs know the sound is not coming from the decoy. I would like to be a little further from the decoy/caller
Caller and decoy together. You need the dogs focus away from you as far as possible. What caller you using? Also when I said decoy, I meant a fully body Coyote decoy mine is a Montanna.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Caller and decoy together. You need the dogs focus away from you as far as possible. What caller you using?
Primos Turbo Dog ( i know, don't laugh). So if i put the decoy say 100 yards in the field, and then the caller 30 hards from me, the dog will know something is up because the sound is not coming from the decoy??

Last edited by Immigrant; 02-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:32 PM

PM sent
Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Primos Turbo Dog ( i know, don't laugh). So if i put the decoy say 100 yards in the field, and then the caller 30 hards from me, the dog will know something is up because the sound is not coming from the decoy??
nothing wrong with the turbo dog thats what im using right now while i wait for my foxpro remote to be fixed (dont drop remotes on rocks the screens dont like it)
coyotes have insane pinpointing ability's so i figure it would be best to keep the sound as close to the decoy as possible.
also try using young jack or baby jack in distress instead of cottontail. the primos call has a pretty bad sounding cottontail in comparison to the jack.
just my 2cents
Old 02-02-2015, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=bobalong;2719908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Hang ups could be caused by alot of things, but typically I find they've seen or smelt something they don't like. Or else a broken call, like a screwed up howl or you get a split in your reed or the speakers are crackling or popping.

Just curious what you mean by "I find" or did you mean you "assume" they have seen or smelled something.
Yup I've found later that the wind may have swirled a bit or taken a turn down the bush line towards them. I've walked out to where the coyote was, and look back at where I set up. I'll see glare off some equipment, either bipod, rifle chair, scope or sometimes my face isn't covered up enough. Sometimes a bit of sun has hit me. Or the truck or quad wasn't hidden good enough. Heck, even the slight glisten off the bottom of your boots can cause a hang up. And one can assume that another hunter was in the area before blowing the same call as well.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Default Coyotes

As of this past week-end they are responding to Female invitations. We used a variety of calls on different stands .. rabbit distress, coyote distress and female invitations.
We took six over the week-end with the only double (2 males) coming from a Rabbit distress, followed by a Coyote distress after the shot. The second dog responded instantly to the Coyote distress. If there are lot's of Rabbits in the area the old standby Rabbit distress will get the job done nearly every time.
The cattle are calving now and you can almost always find them not too far from the calving areas. Have Fun !
Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

challenge howls were working for me this weekend
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
challenge howls were working for me this weekend
For us as well. During the breeding season the alpha males get pretty aggressive. It's a great time of year to be out there. Saw a couple of small groups (three) following what appeared to be a hot femme. They weren't interested in anything we said .lol
Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

must have been something I said..............last night I spotted 4 dogs lying way out in a field, so put a sneak on 'em.

gave a howl, and they all jumped up and ran away!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
must have been something I said..............last night I spotted 4 dogs lying way out in a field, so put a sneak on 'em.

gave a howl, and they all jumped up and ran away!
Been there... made me laugh to hear I'm not the only one! Must have hit the coyote repellent call by accident.

Love it when non-hunters tell me coyote hunting isn't hunting because they're dumb animals and they don't have a chance... Some days they seem to be smarter than me so I sure hope they're not dumb