Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Default Alaska's Last Frontier - Hunting Episode - YIKES !!!

I was watching a show on TV yesterday, I think it's called Alaska's Last Frontier, and they went deer hunting.

It made me quite annoyed just watching three hunters, at what looked to be about 300 yards, decide to "all take a shot" at a deer. All of them missed, some took another shot, as the deer ran away. I was a little stunned. Taking a hurried shot, from a standing position, at 300 yards, on a small moving target, is not an easy shot, nor should you take it unless you are sure you can put the bullet where you need it to go. You are better off re-grouping and not spooking the deer and getting a plan to hunt that deer and position yourself for a reasonable shot. These guys kept on taking shots until they decided it was too far away. One well placed shot, from a proper shooting position, would have been a far more reasonable choice.

another scene ....

At one point, the lady, in a panic, trying to get her safety off, in a scramble, fires off a shot into the ground as her husband, standing right beside her, is whispering "go ahead" "get the safety off" "hurry up" kind of thing. A few inches to either side and this guy could have had a bullet in his leg. Crazy.

and another scene ......

One of the last scenes, three of these hunters, do the simultaneous shot thing again, this time, maybe at 150-200 yards or so, most of the bullets miss and it looks like one bullet hits the deer through the hind quarters on the 4th or 5th shot. Shots continue to ring out from all three hunters, rushing shots, and the deer hobbles away .... dragging itself through the scrub, so the chase is on. The deer is barely able to drag it's wounded butt away.

One of the guy re-loads, he's out of ammo, of course, no kidding, as he's running after this deer, he reloads, puts another shot through the deer, likely like a gut shot, and it continues to hobble away until it finally drops. He comes up on the deer and is required to put another shot through the deer to dispatch it.

These guys don't represent hunters ..... PETA is going to have a field day on this one. This is not what hunting looks like in my camp.

It was sad to see. It really bothered me.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM

It's tv and not the best at that.

What do you consider a "small" moving target?
A deer at 300 should be an attainable kill at 300 meter for an experienced shooter.
I wouldn't recommend my child attempting that shot.

Ya it's lame television.
Does your neighbours driveway need shoveling?

I am awaiting the invention of something that will allow me to change the channel while sitting in my recliner from 9' away.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM

The season prior one of those guys carried his gun up a mountain by its scope, and wondered why he couldn't hit the skyline deer he was shooting at.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM

This show is notorious for stuff like that. I think something has to change...are these "hunters" even possessing a tag? Because that would mean they have to abide by the laws and go through hunters safety...and this is far some safe nor ethical nor smart...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Scary thing is I have run into stuff like this in the bush

guys taking shots beyond there limits is not new or only on TV
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
It's tv and not the best at that.

What do you consider a "small" moving target?
A deer at 300 should be an attainable kill at 300 meter for an experienced shooter.
I wouldn't recommend my child attempting that shot.

Ya it's lame television.
Does your neighbours driveway need shoveling?

I am awaiting the invention of something that will allow me to change the channel while sitting in my recliner from 9' away.
Lol .... I agree ..... have not seen the show before - and it became like watching a train wreck for me .... I couldn't stop .... lol.

To answer your question -

A small or difficult, challenging but not impossible, target for me is exactly what they were shooting at. A small, maybe 100-120 lb blacktail, trotting off, changing direction, in and out from behind bushes at 300 yards while being forced to shoot from a standing position.

That's not a shot I would take myself as I think there is some level of risk in wounding the deer or making a bad shot. There was no point on a small buck like that.

Likely - I would have either whistled to get the deer to stop and look (like sometimes muleys will do) or attempt to stay still, hoping it would calm down and not go too far so I could either get into a prone position to take the shot OR get into a better (closer) position to make one shot count.

That shot is substantially easier in a prone position. A shot I might be more willing to take. If the deer stops, and I'm prone - then it's almost routine at that range. I am comfortable at 300 yds with either my 257 Wby or my 30-06 - both of which are accurate rifles for me up to, and over 300 yds. This shot would be no problem for most experienced hunters or shooters.

Really it was just watching these guys not even think for once, for a second, to calm down, maybe get into a better shooting position (like prone) OR taking a minute to think about where the deer is going etc...

They just seemed to think ..... OK !!!! everyone shoot !!!!! one of the bullets might hit this deer !!!! hurry !!!!!

Just like a train wreck .....

I shoveled my own driveway after that by the way ......
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM

I don't believe they do have liscences like we do as they have mentioned several times about " subsistance " living. They also have gone out, the younger man and his wife, and dip netted salmon and got several hundred pounds which I don't think would be within any fishing laws. Have seen them shoot a bear, gut and skin it and take the meat but never put any tag, or no mention of a tag.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was watching a show on TV yesterday, I think it's called Alaska's Last Frontier, and they went deer hunting.

It made me quite annoyed just watching three hunters, at what looked to be about 300 yards, decide to "all take a shot" at a deer. All of them missed, some took another shot, as the deer ran away. I was a little stunned. Taking a hurried shot, from a standing position, at 300 yards, on a small moving target, is not an easy shot, nor should you take it unless you are sure you can put the bullet where you need it to go. You are better off re-grouping and not spooking the deer and getting a plan to hunt that deer and position yourself for a reasonable shot. These guys kept on taking shots until they decided it was too far away. One well placed shot, from a proper shooting position, would have been a far more reasonable choice.

another scene ....

At one point, the lady, in a panic, trying to get her safety off, in a scramble, fires off a shot into the ground as her husband, standing right beside her, is whispering "go ahead" "get the safety off" "hurry up" kind of thing. A few inches to either side and this guy could have had a bullet in his leg. Crazy.

and another scene ......

One of the last scenes, three of these hunters, do the simultaneous shot thing again, this time, maybe at 150-200 yards or so, most of the bullets miss and it looks like one bullet hits the deer through the hind quarters on the 4th or 5th shot. Shots continue to ring out from all three hunters, rushing shots, and the deer hobbles away .... dragging itself through the scrub, so the chase is on. The deer is barely able to drag it's wounded butt away.

One of the guy re-loads, he's out of ammo, of course, no kidding, as he's running after this deer, he reloads, puts another shot through the deer, likely like a gut shot, and it continues to hobble away until it finally drops. He comes up on the deer and is required to put another shot through the deer to dispatch it.

These guys don't represent hunters ..... PETA is going to have a field day on this one. This is not what hunting looks like in my camp.

It was sad to see. It really bothered me.
You just described about half the hunters in Alberta.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 PM

In previous episodes the lady that was hurting in that show took a shot with the scope right up against her eye. Ouch. And another time one guy took probably 10 shots at a bear and never hit it. Like you guys said this is a terrible representation of hunters.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM

I'm cooped up in a hotel room in gp. I made the mistake of watching this disaster. Disgusting is all I can say.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM

If it bugs you, why not write the Alaska tourism bureau and their Governor?? It sure make Alaskans look bad. Real bad.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
If it bugs you, why not write the Alaska tourism bureau and their Governor?? It sure make Alaskans look bad. Real bad.
Compared to the "Alaskan Bush People" they don't even look that bad
Old 02-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
Compared to the "Alaskan Bush People" they don't even look that bad
So very true.

I switched it on just when the lady takes the safety off and it goes "BANG".

I switched the channel soon after.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Terrible portrayal of hunting, common sense and respect for nature.
Sensationalized beyond belief........

On my permanent "don't/won't watch list."

There are no absolutes
Old 02-26-2015, 02:54 PM

pretty sure it is over dramatized for TV, the show really isn't that interesting its just average people doing their thing
Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Scary thing is I have run into stuff like this in the bush

guys taking shots beyond there limits is not new or only on TV
X2 Yet here in Alberta they are worried more about a small percentage of Spear and Atlatl hunters.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM

If that bothers you dont watch "hunting videos" by gunwerks and there huskamaw scopes taking shots at animals at over a thousand yards away and usually missing with their first shot and then"readjust" for their second shot. Most of the time they are so far away they have no idea where theur bullet goes, the fad of long distance shooting has over taken proper stalking skills
Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned

For the heck of it I just checked you tube and Alaska the last Frontier has 11 full episodes that you can watch. I wonder if thats the show OP is talking about. I will watch one later.
Opps, this edit. Went to watch an episode and it looks like there are at least 30-40 episodes. 11 was just one season and they are up to at least season 4 now.

Last edited by waterninja; 02-26-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Banned

OK so I watched the same episode that the OP was talking about and I think he described it best....YIKES.
It's a wonder that the newbie Jane didn't kill someone. And these people actually grew up and live in Alaska? I'm amassed any of them are still alive. They really don't seem to have a clue.

Last edited by waterninja; 02-26-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 PM

The need bipods or take the time and get a proper rest. Lots of freehand shots. Not great hunters for people who supposedly need the meat to survive. Generally like most parts of this program and the people on the show.

Alba gu brath!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM

I enjoy the show as well, alot of the conduct in that episode was definitely disappointing though.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Those shows are horrible and only should impress people from......Florida. If you grew up on a farm in Alberta and hunt, you are miles ahead of the people on this show and should consider yourself far more rugged than these saps.

Lets show my wife how to shoot a gun for the first time......because there is a camera crew around! Crap TV!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
It won't matter.
Soon people will be going there in more numbers to experience the Rocky Mountain High

Alaskan bush Ppl is even worse.

I like the gold shows about the Yukon and Alaska and that's it for those shows.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Generally I only watch these hillbilly train wrecks to make me appreciate what we have in Alberta. Granted there are train wrecks in our backyard but by and large any of the guys I've run into in the bush have been friendly and respectful of the land. Just makes me glad to be in Alberta and associate with some of you fine gentlemen on this forum
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Ceilidh69;2749526Not great hunters for people who supposedly need the meat to survive.[/QUOTE]

Apparently Antz Kilcher, the homesteader, is the father of the singer Jewel and worth 5 million dollars. Must be all for TV.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Default gold shows

I like watching them, but I don't know what we are doing to the earth surface trying to get the gold? I'm not a tree hugger, but I don't know! Do they have to reclaim the land in witch they found it? Or close to it, Or if they could?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I like watching them, but I don't know what we are doing to the earth surface trying to get the gold? I'm not a tree hugger, but I don't know! Do they have to reclaim the land in witch they found it? Or close to it, Or if they could?
Yes.
Much of the land has to be reclaimed.
I say go get it as more isn't being made. Until the next asteroid impacts with this rock we live on.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 PM

I also watched it and hopefully people know it's just t.v. And that is the worst representation of hunters or hunteress ever. Her gun went off unexpected and I just shook my head. She should not have a rifle.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM

Come on its Alaska!!! Everything is life or death there. That line gets used almost every other sentence
Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 PM

I watch for the scenery. But they're frustrating.