Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Default Getting sick of thieves

I dont no about you guys but im sick of people stealing my trail cameras. Especially on my own land.

What are some of the tactics you guys use to deter thieves, other then a lock box?
I was lookin on the internet for a gps tracker but couldnt find anything worthy.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 PM

Maybe you could rig up a mount that angles the camera down so you can put it up higher in the tree? I have no experience at all with trail cams, but I'd venture a guess if you need a ladder to get at it chances are thieves will never see it
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Find a trail that doesnt have much game movement on it (dont want any accidental catches). set up cam in obvious spot. 330 with a pan trigger (or similar device) under leaves or snow, beside the cam.

You could leave a smelly sock or two around to deter the 4 legged animals. You will hear the stupid 2 legged....well, 1.5 legged...ones, when they get what they deserve.

Kidding....kind of.

Just learn to hide them better. If it can be found, it will get stolen.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 PM

My one buddy had issues with trespassers stealing cams and poaching two years back.
We tried all of the conventional methods. These two guys kept coming back every weekend, without fail.
We finally decided to hunker down in some bushes and wait them out. We had some trail cams up as "bait". When they showed up we came running out like bats out of hell, shooting starter pistols all over the place yelling, and ran them right out.
These two never returned. An evening out of our time prevented many more hours of anger.
Might not of been the most legal way to deal with things, however it worked....

If its more unpredictable criminals i like the 330 idea...
I am all for following the law, however in dealing with criminals i DO believe two wrongs make a right.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Dig a pit at te base of the tree, sharpen some sticks and put them in and then cover with leaves.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM

Its tough man, we deal with the same problems. Our problem is some of the best game trails are also the easiest to walk by humans. We have tried putting two cams facing each other and hide one very well and it has worked. Lock boxes work for a bit until the guy comes back with a chain saw and cuts the tree down which has happened to us. A GPS tracker would be nice, the best we've found is just hide them as best you can on the most unused trails by humans.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:59 PM

Smile

SPYPOINT

BLACK BOX! The Black Box System comprises of a Tiny 10MP No-Glow wireless camera and a wireless Black Box storage receiver. Each Tiny camera saves recorded images to a SD card within the camera and transmits a copy to the remote Black Box receiver, located up to 150 metres away (line of sight). Each Black Box System is capable of handling up to 10 remote cameras and if any cameras were to be stolen or damaged, you could retrieve the images stored on the remote Black Box receiver located elsewhere. You can view images, change the cameras settings, all from the remote Black Box system. The Black Box System also supports the optional MS-1 remote wireless sensors that can extend the motion PIR range of each camera. This system is perfect for surveillance, rural farms, livestock or graffiti monitoring, vandalism, rubbish dumping, schools and loss prevention management.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
My one buddy had issues with trespassers stealing cams and poaching two years back.
We tried all of the conventional methods. These two guys kept coming back every weekend, without fail.
We finally decided to hunker down in some bushes and wait them out. We had some trail cams up as "bait". When they showed up we came running out like bats out of hell, shooting starter pistols all over the place yelling, and ran them right out.
These two never returned. An evening out of our time prevented many more hours of anger.
Might not of been the most legal way to deal with things, however it worked....

If its more unpredictable criminals i like the 330 idea...
I am all for following the law, however in dealing with criminals i DO believe two wrongs make a right.
You should have waited by the road where they parked thier truck than take thier front tires off,then you could trade them for all your trail cams back
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 PM

A mini global tracking device can be put inside a cam pretty easy. Sensor is activated when item is moving. The network support for a tracker gives GPS global positioning and shows you where your item is on the map.

These little things look interesting. Easy to conceal.
https://www.chipolo.net/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Put them up high.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
SPYPOINT

BLACK BOX! The Black Box System comprises of a Tiny 10MP No-Glow wireless camera and a wireless Black Box storage receiver. Each Tiny camera saves recorded images to a SD card within the camera and transmits a copy to the remote Black Box receiver, located up to 150 metres away (line of sight). Each Black Box System is capable of handling up to 10 remote cameras and if any cameras were to be stolen or damaged, you could retrieve the images stored on the remote Black Box receiver located elsewhere. You can view images, change the cameras settings, all from the remote Black Box system. The Black Box System also supports the optional MS-1 remote wireless sensors that can extend the motion PIR range of each camera. This system is perfect for surveillance, rural farms, livestock or graffiti monitoring, vandalism, rubbish dumping, schools and loss prevention management.
Thanks for that tip, I am sick and tired of %@#*^&%# stealing my cameras!

Where do you buy them and how much are they? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Easiest thing would be to have more of a presence and check them more often. Good well maintained barb wire fence and large no trespassing would help as well. Project your Ownership.

Grizz
Old 03-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Thanks for posting this GPS tracker, Mine are on their way now, hope these work in our temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A mini global tracking device can be put inside a cam pretty easy. Sensor is activated when item is moving. The network support for a tracker gives GPS global positioning and shows you where your item is on the map.

These little things look interesting. Easy to conceal.
https://www.chipolo.net/
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Easiest thing would be to have more of a presence and check them more often. Good well maintained barb wire fence and large no trespassing would help as well. Project your Ownership.

Grizz
We live right by the OPs camera and checked it periodically throughout hunting season which is when you'd think it would get stolen. However we left numerous trail cameras out after the season to see what survived. The thief cut a lock on a gate trespassed through two fields and stole a camera.

I don't think a fence and no trespassing sign would help keep this person out...

Trail cameras should come with a setting to shock people through a feed connected to the batteries when touched.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Fur getter Trap Gun.jpg You could always try one of these .... kidding of course, I can empathize with your frustration, had a few things ripped of by meat whistles over the years myself. Lost a ground blind, a camera and even a tripod I left in a blind I used for filming. Set up an ambush, Wait until they go in and then catch them in the act.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Thanks for posting this GPS tracker, Mine are on their way now, hope these work in our temps
Good luck - 60m range.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Do some googling and there are some real good options out there to catch thieves stealing trail cameras on some of the american sites. some amazing technology out there!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Banned

I can really feel the frustration that the OP is feeling. I haven't had a cam stolen yet, though I did get a pic. of a stranger on one of my cams and I was thankfull that cam was left in place.
Here in Edm. (and most places I imagine) theft from houses, garages, vehicles and yards is epidemic and has been for years. Even if you get a pic. of a culprit or even catch them in the act and get all the info. you can (description, veh. lic. #, etc.) and report it to police nothing is really done about it. As a matter of fact, in Edm. they won't even take a report of theft under 5000.oo anymore, but direct you to a website to report it, and that is only so they can gather statistics.
About the only thing you can do is try to lock up anything of value you might own, chain the BBQ to the fence, always put on a steering wheel lock every time you park (pain in the ass), keep all buildings alarmed and hope for the best. Don't even think of confronting a thief in the act (still working on that one) as chances are your the one who will end up being charged. What a way to live.

It's all good in the hood.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Good luck - 60m range.
Exactly - It appears that they only work in the standard Bluetooth range - good for finding your keys etc. Apparently there's some usefulness if they can piggyback on neighboring phones to make a sort of mesh network, but that's not likely going to be helpful for finding your cams.

Can you still cancel your order, Nimrod?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Ill be looking into the spypoint black box and that gps tracker.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 AM

I do believe these will work even when out of range of phone, look at 5:40 of the video, this is why I think they should work.

https://www.chipolo.net/app#video-demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Exactly - It appears that they only work in the standard Bluetooth range - good for finding your keys etc. Apparently there's some usefulness if they can piggyback on neighboring phones to make a sort of mesh network, but that's not likely going to be helpful for finding your cams.

Can you still cancel your order, Nimrod?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

You see a truck or quad on your land.. slash its tires.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Need an outside keypad and a paint bomb inside like the banks have. Open it without the code, you have some dye to remove. I'm sure it is illegal but one can dream right.

So far i have not lost one, but mine go up off the beaten path and out of sight from a cut line. Plus they are a long ways up north. Not too many out for a stroll up there. Only the bears seem to find them and get up close and personal.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Default Getting sick of thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I do believe these will work even when out of range of phone, look at 5:40 of the video, this is why I think they should work.

https://www.chipolo.net/app#video-demo

Right, the community search feature will work if your Chipolo is within range of another Chipolo users' phone - and if they choose to have that community feature turned on.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
You should have waited by the road where they parked thier truck than take thier front tires off,then you could trade them for all your trail cams back
I like this one a lot. I have always been a fan of trading thieves there own stuff back.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Put them up high.
Thieves or Cameras ??????????????

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
Thieves or Cameras ??????????????
Heh! I see what you did there.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Need an outside keypad and a paint bomb inside like the banks have. Open it without the code, you have some dye to remove. I'm sure it is illegal but one can dream right.

So far i have not lost one, but mine go up off the beaten path and out of sight from a cut line. Plus they are a long ways up north. Not too many out for a stroll up there. Only the bears seem to find them and get up close and personal.
I like this idea, wont hurt them but will sure mark them for awhile..
I have built my own lock boxes and chain them to the largest tree.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Heh! I see what you did there.
Caught one not sleeping this sunny afternoon

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

wait for them to come, see where they park, wait until they go in the bush, get a tire valve stem screw driver take out all their valve stems & call the cops, they wont be able to get away