Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Sounds like this is what you are looking for. True hunter scoring 5 for a kill and -2 for a wound and 0 for a miss.

Game Country Archers
www.gamecountryarchers.com

ANNUAL HUNTER SHOOT

August 8 & 9, 2015

Club range at Evergreen Park
Grande Prairie, Ab.​

Two Rounds of 20 Targets on Saturday
One Round of 20 Targets on Sunday
There is the option of shooting one round Friday evening
for those who can’t attend on Sunday
Range Finders and binoculars allowed

No Late Registration
Shooting Starts at :
10:00 am on Saturday 9:00 am on Sunday
COSTS AND CATEGORIES
BOWHUNTER OPEN (M/F) BOWHUNTER BHR (M/F)
TRADITIONAL NON-COMPETITIVE MASTERS 50+ (M/F)

​Family - (maximum of 2 adults)-------------------------------------------------------$100.00
Adult - (21 yr. and over)-----------------------------------------------------------------$50.00
​Junior - (20yr. and younger)------------------------------------------------------------$30.00
​Cadet - (17yr. and younger)-------------------------------------------------------------$20.00
​Cubs - (14yr. and younger)-------------------------------------------------------------- $15.00
Pre Cub (12yr. and younger)------------------------------------------------------------- $10..00
​Pee Wee - (9 yr and younger)-----------------------------------------------------------$5.00

Scoring: Adults, Juniors, Cadets, Cubs and Non-Competitive use Hunter Scoring
Pre Cub and Pee Wee use Standard 3D Scoring

Birth Dates as of Dec. 31 0f current year
Contacts: mikewelsh@golsm.com
or daleroth@persona.ca

Red Dot Shoot chance to win $50.00
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM

Anyone know what is the biggest cost to hold a shoot ?

State Farm Insurance ?

Man if StinkHammers shoot could be done at half those prices just
think how many more would show up.

I'ld be there and it's loooong drive for me.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Sounds like a fun shoot...outstanding on the scoring...

Neil
Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
Anyone know what is the biggest cost to hold a shoot ?

State Farm Insurance ?

Man if StinkHammers shoot could be done at half those prices just
think how many more would show up.

I'ld be there and it's loooong drive for me.
I think that it is hard to shave that cost down much more when you have 60 new rhinehart targets. I forgot to mention that range finders are allowed in this shoot just like hunting. You are also allowed one ethical pass where you can take 2 points. It is my favorite shoot of the year, oh and camo is allowed.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Sounds like a fun shoot...outstanding on the scoring...

Neil
Yes I like the scoring to. No 10, 8 or x's. A kill is a kill, 5 points no mater were it is in the kill zone. It also make you think about ethical shots when you can go in the hole with wounding shots. A good reminder before people head out in the field after live targets.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 PM

That sounds like a great shoot and just before elk season fires up, perfect timing!! If there is a shoot like that near Calgary it will be on the top of my list to try and make. I have some friends up in GP I would really like to visit sometime this spring or summer and this would be a great way to spend some time while up there. Too bad it interferes with another event going on in Drayton Valley that Id really like to attend...
Hmmm decisions, decision
Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 AM

I'm not kean on wearing camo at a shoot. Most shoots have windy trails that are made so your not shooting towards people. That said I've seen it where your waiting for people to walk by before shooting. Last thing I'd want is to be shootin in a bush with a hundred other archers an not be as visible as possible. Alway going to have someone behind a target looking for arrows. No camo rule wasn't made just as a fashion statement.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I'm not kean on wearing camo at a shoot. Most shoots have windy trails that are made so your not shooting towards people. That said I've seen it where your waiting for people to walk by before shooting. Last thing I'd want is to be shootin in a bush with a hundred other archers an not be as visible as possible. Alway going to have someone behind a target looking for arrows. No camo rule wasn't made just as a fashion statement.
I honestly never thought of that, and it makes perfect sense! We have all shot on courses that the odd shot is a bit tight and angled in a bit of a concerning way. I remember one guy who went to take a leak and didn't realize he was 5 feet off a shooting lane....good thing he wasn't in camo!

LC
Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up hunter shoots

I like this thread a lot and recently had a discussion with a couple of the ABA people involved in the 3D committee, I think it's time to get back to our roots. Bows were originally I intended as a means to harvest game for sustenance. I like the scoring with penalties for poor shots, nobody goes hunting to wound animals so it will help hunters realize limitations and perhaps pass when a marginal shot opportunity presents itself in the field. Add to that additional points for ethical pass. Great idea as Lefty said, if it adds shoots or shooters to this great sport I'm all for it.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Makes sence... However most courses are safety minded...strict safety rules dictate... when shooters are looking for arrows there is a always one shooter online to warn anyone...walking off in the bush to take a leak...well fear and common sence should prevail...teaches you to be alert and aware at all times as one should be while hunting...

on a proper designed course no arrow should be near any sother shooters on trail or shooting stations ...even in the worst the possibility of ricochet or skipped arrow...

Neil
Old 03-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Makes sence... However most courses are safety minded...strict safety rules dictate... when shooters are looking for arrows there is a always one shooter online to warn anyone...walking off in the bush to take a leak...well fear and common sence should prevail...teaches you to be alert and aware at all times as one should be while hunting...

on a proper designed course no arrow should be near any sother shooters on trail or shooting stations ...even in the worst the possibility of ricochet or skipped arrow...

Neil
At the outdoor Whitecourt shoot 2 years ago, an arrow must have got away from someone doing a "sky draw" the arrow came down only a couple feet from a buddies leg. Now this had nothing to do with what anyone was wearing but certainly a no "sky draw" rule needs to be stressed at ANY shoot and at ANY time we see another archer doing it.

LC
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty-canuck View Post
at the outdoor whitecourt shoot 2 years ago, an arrow must have got away from someone doing a "sky draw" the arrow came down only a couple feet from a buddies leg. Now this had nothing to do with what anyone was wearing but certainly a no "sky draw" rule needs to be stressed at any shoot and at any time we see another archer doing it.

Lc
x1000
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Neil
It's this same safety mindedness that has made the rule of no camo. Canadain nationals in laclabiche last yr. we waited for people to walk past on the road before shooting at a little bear by an outhouse. Deflections can happen easy an I'm just using this shoot as an example not trying to pick on them. There was a few others as well. Put three trails looping thru a bush and 150 shooters flinging arrows. It's not easy to make a perfect coarse.