Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Best Fly Shop

Hi Guys,

As I'm sure you all know fly gear isn't cheap! I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on 1. which store has the best prices (especially on flies, line etc.) and 2. which store has the friendliest/most knowledgable staff? I was in wholesale last night (I know, I know) and the staff weren't exactly the best (not that bad though) but found it fairly pricey and their fly selection pretty low/picked over. Any advice would be great!!!!

The Dr.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM

You need to post your location.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Fish tails by the bow river in calgary.
friendliest staff i know (besides fishn hole)
theyll match the prices of competitors rods.
they have a huge selection of flies and they all look awsome.

some of the best ones are in Bc along the highways

Last edited by Dust1n; 07-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

I am not a flyfisherman but I do know quality when I see it. Arne Andreasen in Lundbreck AB runs an amazing flyshop outta his home there. Has great flies, very very wide variety, n plenty of em. Has all other gear for flyfishing, as well as his own homemade flyrods....including bamboo rods! Pricey for the bamboos though, they vary from $1100.00 - $1800.00. Shoot me a p.m. if you want his website. Super nice guy with plenty o knowledge.
Cheers n GL!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM

X2 for Fish Tales in Avenida down in South Calgary.

Terrific, friendly and knowledgable staff who are all very enthused about the sport that they have been active in for countless years. You will be surprised by the abundance of the inventory they keep, and their willingness to share valuable local information.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Long before the River Runs Through It gave birth to yuppie-guppie catchers 2 shops forgot more than they knew.

West Winds
Country Pleasures
Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Southbow has the best selection of quality flies , they also custom tie alot of their flies. Thats the flyshop all the knowledgable guides shop at. And the knowledge is uncomparable to any shop period, they know flyfishing, Talk to Mike Mailey he has been in the flyfishing retail in Calgary for some 30 years.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry I forgot to post that I am in Calgary. I am pretty familiar with which flys work best, is around $2.50 each reasonable?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz View Post
Southbow has the best selection of quality flies , they also custom tie alot of their flies. Thats the flyshop all the knowledgable guides shop at. And the knowledge is uncomparable to any shop period, they know flyfishing, Talk to Mike Mailey he has been in the flyfishing retail in Calgary for some 30 years.
X2
And you'll get a lesson on tying at the same time.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Thanks guys. Sorry I forgot to post that I am in Calgary. I am pretty familiar with which flys work best, is around $2.50 each reasonable?
noo lol.

thats pretty expensive unless your purchasing it from a shhop in the middle of knowhere where he has to boost his prices to stay in buessness
Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Have a look at the advertisement at the top. ickyflyworks.ca. Flies for $.90 with the 10% discount. I haven't ordered anything yet from them but the prices looks good and shipping is cheap too!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM

FH7 -- depends what he's getting, too...streamers usually run closer to that price range.

Dr. -- I've been pretty happy with what I've received, in terms of both flies and service, from Icky Fly Works (online retailer, but based in Calgary).

Edit -- Dang it, Andrew!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Dr. -- I've been pretty happy with what I've received, in terms of both flies and service, from Icky Fly Works (online retailer, but based in Calgary).

Edit -- Dang it, Andrew!
Good to know they have good flies as the price looks tough to beat!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Southbow sells flies starting at $2 ea and most at $ 2.50ea, but the quality is the best most flies tied right at the shop, The hooks are all Japenese super sharp and dont fall apart after one cast.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
FH7 -- depends what he's getting, too...streamers usually run closer to that price range.

Edit -- Dang it, Andrew!
woops i just thinking of simple drys here ya Ala/s Right at bps some of there streamers are 7 Bucks
Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Long before the River Runs Through It gave birth to yuppie-guppie catchers 2 shops forgot more than they knew.

West Winds
Country Pleasures
Agreed and I will add Vic Bergman @ Crowsnest Angler
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Ickyflyworks hands down for actual flies, great flies, can't beat the prices, super fast shipping. They really care too, when CP was on strike he offered to meet up with me with the flies I had ordered.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Have a look at the advertisement at the top. ickyflyworks.ca. Flies for $.90 with the 10% discount. I haven't ordered anything yet from them but the prices looks good and shipping is cheap too!
X 2 on ickyFlyworks awesome looking flies and carries every thing you need for trout in Alberta (flys, not gear)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Default best fly shop

X3 on Icky Fly Works. Great prices, good flies, fast shipping, and he always throws in a couple extra flies with your order.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Fish Tales Fly Shop
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
X3 on Icky Fly Works. Great prices, good flies, fast shipping, and he always throws in a couple extra flies with your order.
Thanks Boys!!! It's funny because I was looking for a good place to buy a bunch from and decided to come on here but didn't even think about looking at those ads on top...im gonna place an order today!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 PM

I have found that a stop in at country pleasures before heading out on the bow has worked well for me there friendly and knowledgeable they'll tell you whats working and whats not 9 times out of ten there right
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Ordered from Icky on late Wednesday night last week and got them today..(actually only 2 business days) and they look awesome. They also threw in 4 free flys. With the 10 % discount and free flys cost roughly 70 cent/fly. Also included a 15% DISCOUNT code for my next order.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Hey guys,

I also ordered from Icky on Wednesday and received my flys Friday in the mail. GREAT service, top-notch flys, and what a great price. Free shipping and 10% off to boot (not to mention 4 extra flys). If anyone needs flys this is definately the place to get them from, I can't believe I just discovered them now! Thanks Again!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Bow river troutfitters. Mike Day knows the Bow a nd Southern Ab streams well and has a great selection of gear.

www.bowrivertroutfitters.com
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Wow! How long has it been since you've been there?! Unfortunately, Mike hasn't been there for a few years now! Chris M., the manager there and the rest of the staff are also great!! Crappy parking downtown, but not much you can do about that unless you walk or take our inefficient and expensive transit, I guess!!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
Bow river troutfitters. Mike Day knows the Bow a nd Southern Ab streams well and has a great selection of gear.

www.bowrivertroutfitters.com