Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Auger blades

My blades are dull. Am wondering if these blades can be sharpened or am I better off getting new blades? Is there a place in Edmonton that would sell these blades for my strike master or will I have to order them through mail somehow? Here is a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM

I brought my blades to the sawfilers at work at the mill they said buy new ones lol
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
I brought my blades to the sawfilers at work at the mill they said buy new ones lol
Ya not even sure if they can be sharpened. Probably just as cheap to buy new ones anyway. Guess I'll figure out how to do the buy them online thing.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM

I would give this a try:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/28259630...=ps&dispItem=1

Considering it is a sharpener for Strikemaster I would hope they get the angle correct to ideally sharpen the blades they make
Old 08-16-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
I would give this a try:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/28259630...=ps&dispItem=1

Considering it is a sharpener for Strikemaster I would hope they get the angle correct to ideally sharpen the blades they make
Hey thx man! I think I might do that!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

Auger blades are very tricky to sharpen due to the curve in them. Most who say they can can't and ruin them. I knew a fellow, a machinist who had several different homemade jigs for sharpening them. Don't know if it would be worth the cost of shipping them to him in Ontario but they would come back as good as new and he only used to charge $10 cash/set.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Go into your kitchen, get out the knife steel and take a few swipes on the top of each blade. Do not touch the side that goes down on the ice, try it out on a frozen ice cream pail of ice, I bet it will cut just fine.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Lawnmower hospital did my Eskimo blades for $7. Nearly good as new after.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Lawnmower hospital did my Eskimo blades for $7. Nearly good as new after.
Yes but I think your Eskimo blades are straight not curved.

I think the tricky thing is trying to keep your angle consistent on a curved surface. Myself, I wouldn't have the patience and would likely not do a good job. I buy replacements and keep the ones you have as spares and try sharpening them.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yes but I think your Eskimo blades are straight not curved.

I think the tricky thing is trying to keep your angle consistent on a curved surface. Myself, I wouldn't have the patience and would likely not do a good job. I buy replacements and keep the ones you have as spares and try sharpening them.
Do you walk into a store and buy them or have to order online(never bought anything online before).
Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Those don't look too bad. I would run a hone over them and try them. What's the worst that can happen ? having to send them for sharpening.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ya not even sure if they can be sharpened. Probably just as cheap to buy new ones anyway. Guess I'll figure out how to do the buy them online thing.
I've never sharpened the blades you have pictured, but I've yet to meet an auger blade I cant sharpen.

No way would I let the saw filers at my mill touch them. They excel at putting tension back in saw blades, soldering teeth back on, and sharpening knives on jigs that should more or less be idiot proof. But their attempts to sharpen barker tips on a home made jig have me convinced they don't understand a thing about maintaining the correct angles.

With auger blades it is very important that you maintain the original angles. Carefully take off metal from the bevel side (usually the top) with a high quality file in good condition, when you are pushing a burr on the bottom, lightly take it off without removing too much metal, you should be good.

As with any sort of cutting tools, regular touch ups are a lot more easy than trying to bring them back once they are really dull. I've been running the same blades on my hand augers since the mid 90's, and the ones on my current power auger are over a decade old, I touch them up every season or two and they have continued to cut fine.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-17-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

Found this for you....

https://www.amazon.ca/Strike-Master-.../dp/B0010G3C80

http://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/a...gerAccessories

Last edited by The Spank; 08-17-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Give Yetmans a call in Winnipeg, great service, super good prices. I have been pleasantly surprised by them more than once. If wanting new blades.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM

I bought a used auger and the blades were dull. I bought a wet stone and sharpened then. They cut good after and wasn't hard to do. But like said only sharpen the top side not the ice side.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 PM

Try all you want but you cannot sharpen Strikemaster curved blades. Best place to get them is on Amazon. I have bought several pairs over the last few years and they had the best price and the blades are the Mora not some cheap Chinese blade which I also had and did not last a season before actually breaking.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 PM

I had been talking with a gentleman in Sweden who makes the edge-pal and ice- pal sharpeners. It is supposed to work on the curved mora blades. Almost pulled the trigger last year but got distracted. It runs about $100 but could be worth it if you can save a few sets of blades.
http://www.edgepal.com/english/icepal-17907913
Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 PM

I took my Strikemaster chipper blades to a guy on the west end of Edmonton who did a good job on them. They were cheap too. Trying to remember the business name.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM

I've used my lansky numerous times to sharpen my jiffy ripper blades. Just kept the stones at the same angle as the bevel, works great