Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Default Landowner mule deer tags

Is this what the tags are used for? Trophy hunting privileges. I thought the tags are to reduce numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.1 KB, 652 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:25 AM

That deer must have been well fed to grow antlers like that... if he was able to get a tag, and shot it on his land (not 15 miles away with his landowner tag), then a big congrats. Nice deer!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 AM

Nice buck nothing wrong with that
Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 AM

kudos. Nice buck.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Is this what the tags are used for? Trophy hunting privileges. I thought the tags are to reduce numbers.
Not sure what your issue is here. If he is the landowner, and he qualified for and is holding an Anterlered Mule Deer Special Licence (acquired as a Landowner Special Licence) and he shot the buck on his land within the WMU applied for, what's your problem? If you know something that is offside with the taking of the animal, call Report-a-Poacher. Very nice buck by the way.

Last edited by brazeau; 10-28-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Even if you were correct about the reason for landowner tags, and you are not, I'd like to know how killing a deer other than the one in the picture would be more likely to accomplish that purpose.

I agree with some previous comments. Damn nice buck.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Nice buck.Land owners tag well used

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeau View Post
Not sure what your issue is here. If he is the landowner, and he's holding an Anterlered Mule Deer Special Licence (acquired as a Landowner Special Licence) and he shot the buck on the quarter applied for, what's your problem? If you know something that is offside with the taking of the animal, call Report-a-Poacher. Very nice buck by the way.
Agreed , I believe this pot has been stirred too many times . Taken legally I see no problem , what I do see is a big dose of jealous . Congrats to the lucky hunter .
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM

Is the tag good for deeded land only? Or can It be used on crown lease ? Anyone know?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:10 AM

Instead of complaining about a landowner tag perhaps direct your energy to the supplementary tag issue.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Even if you were correct about the reason for landowner tags, and you are not, I'd like to know how killing a deer other than the one in the picture would be more likely to accomplish that purpose.

I agree with some previous comments. Damn nice buck.
Taking a doe would reduce numbers more than taking a buck. It's common sense.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 AM

First off we don't now where this picture as taken , it may not eve be Alberta.
Second, why lead into a thread with a derogatory comment like insinuating a landowner should pass up a big buck for a smaller one ?
Cat
Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Is the tag good for deeded land only? Or can It be used on crown lease ? Anyone know?
From the 2016 Alberta Hunting Draws booklet, "For lands that are not corporate owned, the applicant must own (have title to or have under agreement for sale by the crown) a minimum of 1/4 section in a single parcel of 160 acres, more or less ..." The way I read this is that it must be deeded land, or about to be deeded land..
Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 AM

If a landowner is providing habitat and a food source for the animals to live on, and he goes through the system to legally obtain a tag, I have no issue with him getting a landowner tag. If someone is jealous of the landowner, the solution is to buy some land of their own, and get their own landowner tag.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Everything above X2
Beautiful buck! If the landowner provided this big boy habitat, food, etc, I'm sure the old guy passed on some nice genes for future generations.
Does the landowner even know you're posting his photo with derogatory comments?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
C'MON MAN........It's too early in the morning for trolls.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
C'MON MAN........It's too early in the morning for trolls.
Not trolling. Just a simple question. The buck was taken in Alberta with a landowner tag. I want to know if this is what the tag is ment for. This deer was pushed out of public land on opening day so it's not like the poor landowner was feeding him all summer long. Can anyone tell me exactly the purpose of these landowner tags???? Jealously is not a motive as I never hunt in the area.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 AM

Give it a rest OP! This landowner has every right to harvest that animal with a landowner tag! If you're worried about the number of does, then next season purchase an undersubscribed doe tag for one of the many WMU's that offers it, and help your own cause!
I've seen many great deer taken with a landowner tag down south, and the only thing I'm jealous of, is the fact that I wish I owned land myself, so I could apply for this privilege to harvest a great buck like that!
Do you know that gentleman in the photo? Because if I were him, and I found myself at the forefront of your unwarranted rant, I would be none too pleased.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAJ View Post
Give it a rest OP! This landowner has every right to harvest that animal with a landowner tag! If you're worried about the number of does, then next season purchase an undersubscribed doe tag for one of the many WMU's that offers it, and help your own cause!
I've seen many great deer taken with a landowner tag down south, and the only thing I'm jealous of, is the fact that I wish I owned land myself, so I could apply for this privilege to harvest a great buck like that!
Do you know that gentleman in the photo? Because if I were him, and I found myself at the forefront of your unwarranted rant, I would be none too pleased.
Clearly LKILR or one of his buddies was hunting this buck on the public land and this is a case of sour grapes.