Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 AM

interesting article about whats in store for Castle. Change it is a commin

http://www.pinchercreekecho.com/2015...e-of-the-whole
Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Problem is though they aren't interested in stopping atv use. They are interested in full on closure of the whole area. Don't let them kid you
This is an absolute. SO we'd better quit fighting and stand together for the cause. But by the sounds of it we're all to divided, pointing fingers at the "other" users.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Yuppers, we "might" see the area like Castle up and down the full length of the Eastern Slopes of Alberta.

A planned habitat corridor from the top of Alaska to the tip of Mexico was thought of back in 1986/7 if I recall.

Nothing ever become of the idea until a few years ago.

A documentary on this was on PBS a month ago.

It would be a massive under taking, but theres 2 camps on this, so there will be losses on one side or the other.

None of the above has been tabled to government that "I" know of, but if I recall there was a deal between the Federal government and province of Alberta on something in the 86/7 year.

More wrong then right Don
Old 10-28-2016, 08:32 PM

If the NDP have their way , no one will be able to enjoy this area.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM

It says that hunting,camping, fishing will still be allowed. What's the big deal? Seems like basically an act to stop logging and new oil and gas?
Old 10-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlooper View Post
It says that hunting,camping, fishing will still be allowed. What's the big deal? Seems like basically an act to stop logging and new oil and gas?
Thats the first step, then when they do more studies and find that the species aren't recovering as fast as they want they will blame it on human activity of whats left up there, that is hunting, fishing, ect. They will eventually shut it all down to hunting and you will be able to enjoy it from the road where they want all of us to be.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Because oil and gas drives away the wildlife...

If they turn it (or a portion of it) into a provincial park, I'm not sure how hunting would go..

They are already implementing staging areas and that is the only place you can load/unload your quads in an attempt to stop the atvs on the roads..
Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
Thats the first step, then when they do more studies and find that the species aren't recovering as fast as they want they will blame it on human activity of whats left up there, that is hunting, fishing, ect. They will eventually shut it all down to hunting and you will be able to enjoy it from the road where they want all of us to be.
Well at the end of the day, I would rather have wildlife and no hunting, no ATVs etc,,,, instead of being able to have uncontrolled access to hunting with ATVs every where but no wildlife to hunt.

The current situation unsustainable,,, some thing needs to be done to curb the overuse by all groups and industry. Hopefully the new proposal is a step towards finding a more sustainable solution.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Riiiiiiiight
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Well at the end of the day, I would rather have wildlife and no hunting, no ATVs etc,,,, instead of being able to have uncontrolled access to hunting with ATVs every where but no wildlife to hunt.

The current situation unsustainable,,, some thing needs to be done to curb the overuse by all groups and industry. Hopefully the new proposal is a step towards finding a more sustainable solution.
It is possible to have limited ATV use(designated trails) AND wildlife. This does and can work, as I can attest to that. As an above poster listed, if we keep dividing hunters soon it will be gone for everyone.

As for closing the entire area due to wildlife habitat, look at the bob creek threads to see how easy that Will be to shut down all access. Limit access to some users, reduce the amount of opposition to it, then close completely. Who is left to fight it?

Last edited by Joe Black; 10-30-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
It is possible to have limited ATV use(designated trails) AND wildlife. This does and can work, as I can attest to that. As an above poster listed, if we keep dividing hunters soon it will be gone for everyone.

As for closing the entire area due to wildlife habitat, look at the bob creek threads to see how easy that Will be to shut down all access. Limit access to some users, reduce the amount of opposition to it, then close completely. Who is left to fight it?
yup, I;m fine with hiking and hunting but it can work where there are designated main trials that a quad can be used. If they would spend some money to enforce the rules on a regular basis things could be handled. But I do agree that ATV use needs to be limited but i'm sure we can work together to find a good common ground. I would also like to see the cattle removed from out of there, they do just as much damage on the watershed as ATV's do crossing them. There needs to be give and take from all parties but we seem to be so thick skulled and selfish that all we want is mine mine mine no matter who it affects negatively. Once they limit access they limit opposition and soon will be able to shut it all down. But they won't touch the ski slope, in fact they want to expand it and make into a tourist attraction. revenue I guess.