Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 AM

Default GSP Training

Hello folks!
Just wondering where I can learn how to train my new GSP puppy...This is my first "pointing" dog and wondering if anyone knows if there are support groups to help me train for free around the Lethbridge/Brooks or Medicine Hat area?

Or does anyone have any suggestions to help me figure out how to go about training him? He's 8 weeks old on Monday so I'm wondering when to start the training and want to use him for upland bird hunting.
Thanks in advance!!!
Richard
Old 10-27-2016, 04:00 AM

I was actually wondering the same, but for the Northeast side of the province. I have a 6 month old female GSP and I'm looking for a good trainer, hopefully somewhere close to Edmonton. Great instinct, loves to cruise the trails and find the ruffies, just gets excited and barks and chases them off. Any tips on trainers would be appreciated as well.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 AM

There are some good folks on the Canadian Upland Hunting page on Facebook that might point you in the right direction.
Lots of good books to read. Delmar Smith has some good ideas
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 AM

Try joining one of the NAVHDA chapters that is closest to you. I joined one last spring, and the members not only provided great advice, but the club has excellent facilities to train a pup, that the average person does not have access to. My nine month old pup still needs some training, but thanks to the time I spent with the club, he is to the point where he has learned enough skills to effectively hunt pheasant and upland birds this fall. As well, I have met some good friends, and hunting partners through the club.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:58 AM

Look up NAVHDA and the Alberta Wild Rose chapter. You'll find what you need there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Look up NAVHDA and the Alberta Wild Rose chapter. You'll find what you need there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Due to major changes that are occurring within that particular chapter, I would wait until the new year before joining that particular chapter.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Due to major changes that are occurring within that particular chapter, I would wait until the new year before joining that particular chapter.
Why's that?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Membership starts in the new year anyway, the chapter will still be there next year go have a look at the site.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Why's that?
The chapter is supposedly dividing into two chapters. If that is true, there will be two options for 2017.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM

As stated, check out the upland group on FB. Lots of guys training together.
Also a few guys to get training birds from.

Would be worth it to check in with a reputable trainer. I used randy Blanchard as I was a noob too, and he's excellent.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM

X2 on wildrose NAVHDA, though that could be a long drive if you are that far south. two chapters would be awesome.

At this point I am assuming you are a rookie to dogs and/or versatile dogs

But in the mean time get a copy of this book.
https://www.amazon.ca/How-Help-Dogs-.../dp/0963012746
it’s not a training system but more of a thing you do in the first year of a gun dogs life to develop the tools it was born with.

Here is some on-line reading
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/pointing/index.html

And while you are at it get the book “Training with Mo” you may or may not use the system but it shows the steadying process quite well so it’s worth the read and it’s cheap. And for the most part all of the systems are skinning the same cat, myself I used the perfection kennels Perfect Finish. Huntsmiths silent command is another good one. They all require slightly different things but you don’t know that before you get the system

A while ago I ran into a web site that actually rented dog training videos, IDK if it is still in operation

If you have space and are close to your training grounds having your own pigeons is worth the effort, and now is the time to find un flown homers as the racing crowd pairs down for the winter

Besides for normal pet dog stuff the first year is more about exposure getting the dog use to use it’s nose, develop boldness then the other side of the coin recall, love of field, love of water and crank the prey drive up. I think of it as developing the genetic tool kit.

There is always the excitement to start training the day the pup arrives and to some extent it does but the real heavy lifting has to come after the dog has the brains to understand and that is not for a while.

One thing you can do right now, take the pup to easy and safe field for walks, when you are there drop the leash and for the most part keep your mouth shut. Let the pup have as much fun field romps as you can provide . once it warms up start adding pond/swamp romps as well.

Save some whole duck and geese if possible for next year.

You are looking at a 18-24 month process and that is if you are diligent and don't mess the dog up some how (usually rushing or bad gun breaking).
Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Interesting. I have a 3 year old male GSP and a 9month female.

I sent the first away for a month to a trainer for obedience because I was working up North at the time and my wife was in school.

I have done very little with the newer dog and have been looking around for resources to train her. Glad this came up.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:47 PM

I would also recommend adding whistle and hand commands to your verbal training when the time comes. These come in handy at distance and on windy days
Old 10-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Things you should do everyday while out walking in a field with your pup

- handling, always keep him to the front
- practice turning the dog and keep him going with you
- constantly work on come
- you can start him on gunfire (22) already, do it with a pigeon, start far back
- get him on pigeons earlier than later, so find a source or buy a trap
- start him on retrieving
- try not to use e collar and dont use it when your pups on a bird

Later you can start formal training with whatever program you decide on. Just make sure when you find one, follow it through to the end and dont change. Silent method is the best but takes more time and way more birds but the end result is worth it and safer way to develop your dog. If you have the money buy some launchers and a starter pistol, worth every penny. You have have access to land with an out building start a coup. Having pigeons is your greatest asset. Your in a good part of the province for wild birds, have fun.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Smile Advice from the elderly!

You and the dog will get much more out of the training if the trainer trains you and the dog at the same time.

Any one who can make a living out of training hunting dogs should be able to meet your needs. This is important to start asap, it is way easier if you don't create your own problems at the beginning and then have to fix them.

There is one, soon to be two NAVHDA clubs in Alberta, you can check out the Wild Rose NAVHDA web site.

Welcome to the club.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default Navhda split in two ....

Where is the # 2 club going to be
Based out of . Further south I trust
Old 10-28-2016, 12:30 PM

calgary pointing dog club face book page
its never to early to train your dog start today if you haven't already
and where are you located ?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Where is the # 2 club going to be
Based out of . Further south I trust
From what I have been told, they will be using the current training fields.I hope to find out more next week.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:06 AM

Default Bfk

Check out this website. blackfootkennels.ca
Randy does amazing work. If you have a GSP and want to hunt with it he is the guy.
Very lucky to have a trainer of this caliber in AB.

Tags
bird dog hunting, dog training, gsp