Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Have never used a pellet gun for grouse or any small game.
Do you guys find the scope is actually necessary when shooting 10-20 yards? Or are you guys reaching out a little further??

Schian
Some of us guys are middle aged blind and the sights are getting fuzzy.Harold
Old 10-26-2016, 10:50 AM

I have found that predator pellets work better on grouse in my 22cal pistol. Seems like they get through the feathers better or something.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Default Predators

I found they needed about 600fps or better yet 700fps + to expand so use them in my rifles with great results.Harold
Old 10-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I was gonna go the air pistol route cause I like grouse as well as big game. First got a slingshot, I suck at it. Then was gonna get an air pistol but then saw the Hammond Game Getter cartridges for all makes of rifles. Genius really, check them out. When not bow hunting I bring these
Just out of curiosity how are you shooting the slingshot? I've taken a few with a slingshot but you need to know how to shoot one.

Hold the slingshot sideways and sight off the top arm, figure out how much of a hold over you need at various ranges, always hit the same anchor point. I have a slingshot I made out of UHMW that uses two bands hooked up to a single pocket, I can hold dead on out to about 20 yards and hit a pop can pretty regularly.

I use 1/2" nuts for amo, despite their irregular shape they fly pretty consistently and you can put a bunch of them on a long bolt of a smaller size for convenient storage.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
If anyone is looking for a good deal on 22 cal pistol check out Princess auto

The 1322 is on sale as a package with glasses ,pouch , 175 pellets and the shoulder stock adaptor $90

I bought one to try out I will report back here with what I find out.

not sure if im allowed to post a link but here it is. Remove if necessary.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...it/A-p8622789e
Got the last one at Edmonton north side today. Looks pretty good. Lots of mods available and videos on line. Looking forward to some grouse, rabbits, squirrels and maybe that stray cat that is bothering the old ladies bird feeders
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
If anyone is looking for a good deal on 22 cal pistol check out Princess auto

The 1322 is on sale as a package with glasses ,pouch , 175 pellets and the shoulder stock adaptor $90

I bought one to try out I will report back here with what I find out.

not sure if im allowed to post a link but here it is. Remove if necessary.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...it/A-p8622789e
Sorry to bump the thread.

Received the package about three day ago (took them about a week to ship). Fun little thing. I have not had an air gun since I was a kid. Seems like I am having even more fun with it than I did back then

One thing to note is that the sights are pretty basic and mine did shoot straight out of the box. Another is the breech is actually plastic. But it works. Pretty sure there is enough power to take a grouse out, especially with a head shot. But you definitely need to get better sights or scope before you do that, imo.

Do any of you fine gents know where I can get some mods for this thing in Canada? To begin with, I am looking for a steel breech, perhaps a longer barrel, maybe a 14 inch or so, decent sights. The bolt will be the next thing to go. I will probably replace the trigger as well. It seems like it's fairly easy to get these things in the States, but almost no one is willing to ship to Canada (I know why). And then there is , of course, the exchange rate that does not favour our side of the border.

Appreciate any tips!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM

yes yes yes!!!! ive even used slingshots.
I contacted a wildlife officer and he told me that its 100% fine as long as you feel confident and as long as the pistol it is under 500fps (if you require a license for the air pistol you cannot hunt with it)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstalker234 View Post
(if you require a license for the air pistol you cannot hunt with it)
Indeed. Although the power that the gun has out of the box is enough to break any bone in the birds body, I am pretty sure. After only 6-7 pumps, the pellet goes more than half way into a 1x6 board, i.e. fence board from about 10-12 meters out. Pretty consistently too. It's a good new piece of lumber, not rotten old stock.

Anyway, I am not going to hunt with it regardless. Just a small (probably expensive) project of mine.

Any tips on Canadian online retailers for mods would still be greatly appreciated

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Another bump.

So I did some reading and watched a few YouTube videos and it made me thinking. What I found out is that this gun (1322), out of the box before any modifications, shoots at over 550 fps after 15 pumps. How does that affect the legality of hunting with it? Or ownership without a PAL for that matter?

I could not find anything about it myself, so if anyone has some info, please share. Just wondering, really.

Cheers!
Old 11-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Smile What a thread!

There was a time that every country boy had a catapult, now called a slingshot. Home made too with the tongue of an old running shoe to hold the rock.

Now you can buy a much better one at Canadian tire, fits in your pocket and shoots just about anything.

If you hit a grouse with a rock, marble, or a lead ball, the grouse will still be there when you go to retrieve it.

Like everything else in life all you need is practice.

BTW range estimation is the key to success.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:15 AM

Any tips on Canadian online retailers for mods would still be greatly appreciated

I punched in airguns canada and a bunch came up
One is airgunsource.com. They have the steel breech in stock and list the longer barrel but not in stock right now. Look under custom parts.
There are quite a few more too.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Another bump.

So I did some reading and watched a few YouTube videos and it made me thinking. What I found out is that this gun (1322), out of the box before any modifications, shoots at over 550 fps after 15 pumps. How does that affect the legality of hunting with it? Or ownership without a PAL for that matter?

I could not find anything about it myself, so if anyone has some info, please share. Just wondering, really.

Cheers!
I already threw away the box but if I see one again I'm going to take a picture of it to show that it is sold as 460 fps. No fish cop will have a chronograph to check it , and even if they do, I'll tell them it says maximum 10 pumps so test it at the manufacturers recommended rate
Old 11-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I use the same model....in 22 cal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto, don't like it for body shots, head shots will knock em over but if you miss it's ten pumps to get max pressure.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Classic 22 cal

I picked up a classic 22 cal, air gun from Cabelas on sale for $79.00, shot it out in the backyard for a while and got pretty good in a short time. Took it with me to 324 this weekend deer hunting, never got a deer but managed to get my first grouse with a airgun! Thanks for all the posts on this thread that led to that success! adds a whole new element to my walks in the woods!
Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherbuck2 View Post
I picked up a classic 22 cal, air gun from Cabelas on sale for $79.00, shot it out in the backyard for a while and got pretty good in a short time. Took it with me to 324 this weekend deer hunting, never got a deer but managed to get my first grouse with a airgun! Thanks for all the posts on this thread that led to that success! adds a whole new element to my walks in the woods!
Congrats! Was it with a rounded pellet or a pointed one?