Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 AM

Default Best hunting rubber boot?

Sitting here looking at a couple pairs of WRECKED Irish setter rubbers, one non-insulated, the other insulated. Both pairs lasted less than 2 years each before breaking down and now I'm looking for different pairs, that last. what brand of rubbers have people used that have stood up, with no punctures, sole separations, etc? These rubbers served me well but buying boots that last less than 2 years sucks. Open to suggestions guys.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM

Just went threw the same thing this year . Which boot to buy.
Bought the woody max mucks. Foot is a size 10 bought the size 10.
Walked in 8 C weather all day and they were great. Just could not get them off at the end of the day..... why why don't they make them in half sizes anymore ?
Why don't they make them with a larger lip at the heal to remove them.
Any ways will be buying a boot jack for next hunting trip.
Bought the wood max mucks because they are the lightest.
Only have a 2 month warrantee .
I here the Cabela brands are life time warrantee ! hint hint.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Banned

Default Weather Spirits Rubber Boots

I have owned many expensive hunting boots over the years including Irish Setters, not one of these expensive waterproof boots kept my me dry.

About 10 years ago I started buying Weather Spirits rubber boots at Walmart for approximately $35.00 when they go on sale. I Buy them at the beginning of each hunting season, use them for every type of hunt you an imagine, then wear them all winter on asphalt and sidewalks until the soles are worn out.

Here are the specs:

•Injection moulded waterproof rubber shell
•Treaded outsole design provides for good traction & slip resistance
•Polyester cuff with adjustable lacing
•Removable polyester liner
•Made in Canada
•Comfort rated to -40°C
•Sizes 4-13

Never wet , always warm, I recommend them to any one!

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-24-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 AM

I know you're going to get a lot of recommendations for Muck Boots here, but I've never been impressed with their durability. I've seen them take on holes in less than one season from antlers and sticks, and seen them wear out at the heel in little more than that.

Personally I hunt in Dunlops, even though I fully admit they are not perfect, simply because I have several pairs for work. I think the idea of just using a cheap, standard, rubber boot is a good one. The most important thing is fit fit, you want a snug fit around the ankle and heel to keep your foot from flopping around and you want to have them sized for whatever sock system you decide to use. Personally I find a light wool sock and a Bama slipper to be the best combination for me so I buy my rubber boots two sizes to big.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 AM

I just bought a set of Wetland Mucks this fall. 10 degrees to minus 25 degrees rating. Seems right for me. Very comfortable for walking. I'm super happy.

I bought these after taking back two successive pairs of Cabela's hunting boots that were supposed to be waterproof.

If a guy is super worried about puncturing the neoprene, you caould always wear a pair of gaiters.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 AM

I bought a set of Boggs for quadding 3 years ago.They are very comfortable and warm,maybe to warm in the summer.They seal to your leg fairly well for the times you step into the really deep holes.I use them for snowmobiling on nice days also(-10 - -15).I wear them hunting sometimes to if its wet and walked a far bit with them.
Best rubber boot I have ever had,they have a few wear marks but are still water tight.
I paid $100 for them 3 years ago.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
sitting here looking at a couple pairs of wrecked irish setter rubbers, one non-insulated, the other insulated. Both pairs lasted less than 2 years each before breaking down and now i'm looking for different pairs, that last. What brand of rubbers have people used that have stood up, with no punctures, sole separations, etc? These rubbers served me well but buying boots that last less than 2 years sucks. Open to suggestions guys.

Thanks!
dunlops all the way. I worked doing seismic for 7 years and underground line locating for 8, if you know anything about that type of work, you know that there is a tremenous amount of walking. There were days that i covered 20+km wearing these boots. From +30 to -54 i have worn them. A pair of those and a fresh pair of bamas inside over your sock and you will be good. In all of those years i've only ever owned 2 pair...the first pair were stolen at only 3 years old.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM

I vote for bogs. Had mine for 7 or 8 years, no issues. Very warm, very comfortable.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM

I wear Baffin Titan winter rubber boots while hunting. They have an insulated liner and are rated to -100C. That's a ridiculous temperature rating and it's nowhere near true. However, I have managed to survive sitting in -30C using them for four or five hours at a time. If you're walking around, they'll be toasty warm. They also have the snow cuff at the top, which keeps the snow out fairly well if you wear them over your snowpants or whatever you have on your legs.

I've had them three years and they've been awesome. I bought a second liner set so that I can switch out if they get sweaty or wet at any point. Good traction, no holes or leaks and not too expensive, considering what you get. These are hard toe boots (got them using my work boot allowance).

http://shop.mistersafetyshoes.com/co...hock-resistant
Old 10-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I vote for bogs. Had mine for 7 or 8 years, no issues. Very warm, very comfortable.
yups .. bogs have been great for me
Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Luv my Muck boots........... worth every penny. distributor is actually in Didsbury or Carstairs, better deal buying direct, free shipping
Old 10-24-2016, 01:38 PM

Just got a pair of Muck boots per a recommendation and, brand new, walked all afternoon the first comfortably.

Was really wet and rough that day and they stayed dry.... until I sunk in too deep and the water went over the top.

Would recommend picking up a boot drier at the same time!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM

Aortic pro Muck boots got to be the best I've put on my feet
Old 10-25-2016, 12:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Slid into the snug warm waterproof dunlops and I am good to go.
Sitting long periods it's my muckluks. Sorel glaciers.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2016, 01:10 AM
Banned

Default I can't stand wearing rubber boots for extended periods, but...

If I was gonna buy a pair, it would be these and a pair of liners/bamas...

DUNLOP
Men's Explorer STSP Vibram PU Boot

Old 10-25-2016, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

DUNLOP

Feet look no further!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2016, 05:35 AM
Banned

I May have to re-consider me rubber boot selection! How much do them Mucks weigh and their temperature rating?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM

There are various temp ratings. check their website
Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
I May have to re-consider me rubber boot selection! How much do them Mucks weigh and their temperature rating?
I dunno man, as nice as they are they are not terribly durable, especially for what they cost. If you feel that its worth sacrificing the durability then you will probably be very happy. The original post stated durability as a concern so IMO the soft neoprene boots are not going to make the OP happy.

I have had several hunting partners start using muck boots, they mostly just use them during hunting season and little else, and with hard use it seems like about 3 seasons is all you can count on getting out of them. At one point I wore Dunlops around 12 hours a day, nearly every day of the year. I hiked in them, welded in them, quaded in them, fished in them, and hunted in them. Even with constant hard use I have several pairs that are over 5 years old. Now that I only use them for recreational purposes they will probably last another 10.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-25-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

DUNLOP

That's what I use, with a wool sock and bama slipper. I hunt can hunt the whole season in this setup. They are a bit heavy though, and warmer than needed for most of the season. When the two pairs that I have give up the ghost, in another 5-10 years or so, I will try just a normal pair of rubber boots with the same sock system. The last time I was buying boots I noticed that Dunlop was making a much lighter boot, closer to a regular rubber boot for about $90.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Where does one get Dunlops?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Banned

Dunlop, mucks, bogs, all the same idea and by far the best alternative to the traditional rubber boot. Mucks and bogs are geared more towards hunting and outdoor activities, whereas the Dunlops are a little heavier, can come in steel toe, and are more rugged for industrial/construction type use. I own a pair of muck woody max boots and hunt from the beginning of September until the end of November with dry warm happy feet. They are super lightweight like I'm sure bogs are, the only complaint I have is the neoprene uppers are susceptible to tears or punctures from brush, this is where the dunlops are better than the mucks and bogs but they also feel more like a work boot than a hunting/stalking boot.

Dunlops for durability, mucks or bogs for comfort.

PS, sn2, you can find dunlops at work wear house, co-op, and I'm sure many other retailers of that nature.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 AM

I have always worn mucks and like them a lot. Have probably gone through like 10 pairs of them. Very comfortable, good in all season's, the tight tops make a huge difference. That being said, I have switched to dunlops this year to give them a try. As a trapper I destroy boots, hunting isn't to hard on them, so I would recommend mucks for hunting (I preferred the woody max or chore boots). I could never get more than one season out of a pair before the neoprene sides leaked badly.

Biggest disadvantage about the Dunlop's so far is the boot tops, always picking sticks etc out the boots. Sure wish they made a tight top boot. Very comfy to walk in so far, but haven't had any long hikes in them yet.

Spruce
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM

I like mucks as you can roll them down put them on and roll them back up with a nice snug fit and no bunching of the pants they are light too. The dunlops look nice though and will have to take another look at them next year.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Best rubber boots I've ever owned were Czech made CEBO's.

I doubt they are sold here any more.

I have about 6 pairs that I bought in the early 1980's. Some have developed cracks, after all that time.

The only knock on those CEBO's is they had no insulating value, like the modern Dunlops, Mucks etc... you had to wear Bama socks in them, to keep your feet dry and warm.

I've got a 3 year old pair of Mucks (which I also like), but have an enormous crack, right across the top of each boot.

In terms of durability, you could not beat those old CEBO's... they were the favorite boot of all rig workers way back in the day.

Now they all wear those Dunlops, Mucks, Baffins etc...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Where does one get Dunlops?
Marks Work Warehouse

(I hotlinked the name of the boots in my post, just click on the bold DUNLOP)

They also sell Kamik, which used to be a good brand... Can't speak on them personally, but are probably lighter than the Dunlops but at the cost of durability/longevity.

KAMIK
Huntsman Camo Neoprene Boot

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 10-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I have always worn mucks and like them a lot. Have probably gone through like 10 pairs of them. Very comfortable, good in all season's, the tight tops make a huge difference. That being said, I have switched to dunlops this year to give them a try. As a trapper I destroy boots, hunting isn't to hard on them, so I would recommend mucks for hunting (I preferred the woody max or chore boots). I could never get more than one season out of a pair before the neoprene sides leaked badly.

Biggest disadvantage about the Dunlop's so far is the boot tops, always picking sticks etc out the boots. Sure wish they made a tight top boot. Very comfy to walk in so far, but haven't had any long hikes in them yet.

Spruce
There's a technique to keeping sticks out of the top, you tuck your pants into the boot tops but loosely so that the excess will sort of billow over the top, like you used to see the military do. If this doesn't make sense just go ask a roughneck.

In the winter when I don't have to worry about the bottoms of my pants getting soaked I just let my long underwear protect my legs from the boot cuff and let my pants hang over the boot tops to keep the snow out.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Best hunting rubber boot?
So far for me the most durable have been the Bass Pro. They've lasted 5 or 6 years before the leaks kicked in.
And that's after putting some serious miles on them with 18K mountain hikes.
Think I got them on sale at BPS in Vegas for 45 US$

After those I bought a pricey pair of Lacrosse.
I think those came out the box leaking... Think I bought them at Cabela's in Idaho so never bothered returning them as I'm sure they were faulty from the get go.

Dunlops?
Great work boot but you weren't asking about work boots
Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Dunlops all the way! Had mine for 4 years and used them for everything almost everyday from working, hunting and ice fishing and they're not even remotely close to wearing out
Old 10-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

After researching all of the rubber boots recommended by fellow outdoorsmen here, I am sticking with my Weather Spirits for $35.00 at Walmart because they have never let me down, always warm and dry. Does not get better then that, especially for the price!