Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 AM

Default Treestand Hunting Help

Guys/Gals,

I want to start treestand hunting next year. Can you let me know what tree climbers work for you? I believe i've picked out my stand but I'm more concerned with getting up.

How high?

What can I do to protect it from getting stolen? I.E. removing some steps etc.

Any tips for climbing? Best harness etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM

I like my Hunter Safety System Harness - A shade over $100, sturdy and goes on fast. Get a lineman's rope and a LifeLine system - works great if you are going up/down the stand a lot.

My favourite sticks are the Lone Wolf ones, but they are pricey. The only thing I don't like about them are the fact that the pegs only let you stand on one side of the stick or the other.

There are some sticks on sale at Princess Auto that may work well.

There are some steps I have used that look like this:

I don't like them at all; the clip that connects the strap to the frame is so miniscule, I'd almost rather tie them off. I have seen them unclip - Had to haul one back up the tree to a buddy who accidentally unhooked it while descending. Heavy too.

The Hawk Helium climbing sticks look promising.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 AM

I have the same ladder system and not had an issue with them unhooking. Something to watch out for though. Three sections will easily get you up to 15 feet, maybe a bit higher depending how long your legs are and how comfortable you are climbing.

I use a cable and padlock to secure my tree stand.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:02 PM

My opinion: get yourself a climbing Treestand. I have a Muddy one from Cabela's. It's super comfortable and very easy to climb with. It has a strap that runs around the front so I view a harness as being unnecessary. No pegs are ladders required. it's so comfortable you can sleep in it LOL. They are about 350 bucks and well worth it. It has backpack straps built onto the stand so you can transported to and from your hunting area without worrying about theft. There so many positives to a climber. The only downside to a climbing stand is that if you want to do send the tree to stalk game it's a lot louder than just climbing down the ladder or pegs.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
My opinion: get yourself a climbing Treestand. I have a Muddy one from Cabela's. It's super comfortable and very easy to climb with. It has a strap that runs around the front so I view a harness as being unnecessary. No pegs are ladders required. it's so comfortable you can sleep in it LOL. They are about 350 bucks and well worth it. It has backpack straps built onto the stand so you can transported to and from your hunting area without worrying about theft. There so many positives to a climber. The only downside to a climbing stand is that if you want to do send the tree to stalk game it's a lot louder than just climbing down the ladder or pegs.
I really do like my climber, but you definitely need to find a tree that has either no limbs, or one that you are willing to hack off some limbs the first time up. Plus, you may need to make an unplanned descent when nature calls...

I still wear my harness on the climber; on the way up and down too. I find the rope-style connections (with the pruissic knot) are easier to use than the cinch-strap style. HSS and Lone Wolf make nice ones. Can make your own if you pick up some climbing rope and a carabiner too.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 PM

I use a Lone Wolf climbing stand.
Excellent quality and very quiet.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I really do like my climber, but you definitely need to find a tree that has either no limbs, or one that you are willing to hack off some limbs the first time up. Plus, you may need to make an unplanned descent when nature calls...

I still wear my harness on the climber; on the way up and down too. I find the rope-style connections (with the pruissic knot) are easier to use than the cinch-strap style. HSS and Lone Wolf make nice ones. Can make your own if you pick up some climbing rope and a carabiner too.
Yep I always carry a limb saw with me. Not only for the climb but also sight lines at times...
Old 10-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

So taking a leak you just stay up and use the ol jar?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
So taking a leak you just stay up and use the ol jar?
Nah just let er rip off the side
Old 10-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Nah just let er rip off the side
Yup! And you know when you're high enough, it has a chance to freeze solid on its way down.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:50 PM

thing about tree stand hunting is, unless you're in the right spot you could be waiting for ever.

Grizz
Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 PM

Like Grizzly Adams said. And picture a 250 lbs. human stuck on the side of
lob lolly pine about 15 feet up sky lined at the top of a hill.
Hoping to pass it all off on the thought of a really big burl maybe.

JK

I've been using a loggy for many years now. Works great because it's safe,
fast, simple, easy and most important comfortable.

I expect they don't make this model anymore, I'm still using it after 25 years.
No need to buy another one.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Banned

I would have given you mine Dave, but someone stole it this past winter...

Been checking the B&S, and didn't mention it as to not spook the thief from posting it (if they happened to be a member).

I like a ladder stand, but they're bulky if you're not leaving there for the season and have to carry it in & out every trip.

As far as security goes, "hiding" it amongst the branches is your best bet. Most cables can be cut easily, but may deter or even prevent theft in some cases.

(going to see that rancher tomorrow)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 PM

I bought a Hawk LT climber at Cabelas for 220 I think. Works great. Climb about 25 feet and hang out. Didn't like the harness it came with so bought the Hunter safety one (well worth it) and also bought the rope style tree strap (again well worth it) I have really enjoyed it. You just want to be out early on the year setting up cameras so you know where things are moving.
One positive of a climber over a ladder stand is easily move your set up as needed

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 PM

100% go with a climber. The only place a static treestand is good is somewhere only you have access to. Even then I've had stuff stolen! They aren't quite as quick to get up and down, but you'll always have it to go up and down in. Further to that, you don't have to go back to the same tree everything if it's not working for you. I have a Hawk climber and a Lone Wolf climber. Both are great. The Hawk is a little harder to get up the tree, but more comfortable once you get up there.