Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Question about Pheasant Release Birds

Does anybody know where the birds come from? Are they purchased as chicks and raised here? How old are they when released? Just curious as to their story.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Banned

Good question. There were 2 suppliers till Dirt Willie passed away about a year (or more?) ago. His operation was near Elk Island park. Since then I was told that there is only one supplier, and he is in southern AB. Hats off to this fellow, as he runs his older model truck filled with Pheasants all over the province.

This info was provided to me by the ACA which runs the Pheasant release program in AB. I'm sure that some of the serious bird hunters on this site will have more info.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 PM

The birds have not been supplied by an Alberta source, since the Brooks hatchery closed, they are all brought up from Wisconsin.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...lease-program/

Quote:
With closure of the hatchery, we brought in all birds from MacFarlane Pheasants in Wisconsin.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-27-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 PM

Are these birds brought up as chicks to be matured here or are they already mature birds?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 AM

They are brought up ready to go, I heard that there is a South Dakota source as well in case he couldn't supply.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:58 AM

Smile Manitoba

There is a new supplier there too. He has had some problems getting started, unreliable supply.

Dirt Willy was McFarland's agent in Alberta.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Banned

Is there a website that shows how many are released at each site every week? What strain of ring necks they are, etc? I'm just curious.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Is there a website that shows how many are released at each site every week? What strain of ring necks they are, etc? I'm just curious.
This is about as close as I have seen to an explanation of the numbers. The biologist did tell me that the main sites get three releases per week, and the smaller sites get one release per week.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...lease-program/

Quote:
In 2014/15, roughly 75% of birds were released on 30% of the sites, with the remaining 25% of birds distributed between the other 35 sites. In the past, the location of release sites has been influenced by the location of the Brooks Pheasant Hatchery as well as the distribution of wild pheasants. With closure of the hatchery, we brought in all birds from MacFarlane Pheasants in Wisconsin. We distributed 17,080 male pheasants in fall 2014 for put-and-take hunting. To improve awareness of the program and involvement by hunters, we created a map of the release sites and posted it on our website, along with detailed directions to the sites. Seven Alberta Fish & Game Association clubs provided volunteers to help release birds at select sites, and ACA staff and contractors completed releases when volunteers were not available. We increased the number of pheasants released for put-and-take hunting by 7% from 2013. Feedback from hunters has been very positive and encouraging.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Yeah, I read that when you posted it earlier. Thank you for that. I was just hoping that there would be something that shows number per site. I have talked to a few guys that said Hopewell in Langdon is 89 birds, 3 times a week. Where are they getting that info? Are they talking to the truck driver while he's pulling the lever and they're loading the shells? LOL

I'll try and do some more looking. Thanks Elk
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Yeah, I read that when you posted it earlier. Thank you for that. I was just hoping that there would be something that shows number per site. I have talked to a few guys that said Hopewell in Langdon is 89 birds, 3 times a week. Where are they getting that info? Are they talking to the truck driver while he's pulling the lever and they're loading the shells? LOL

I'll try and do some more looking. Thanks Elk
Funny! I'd like to find some more info on how they are shipped, crated and how long it takes to get them up here. Wonder who the info source would be that a guy would have to contact? One of the birds that our Chessie brought back yesterday had an old back injury that had healed but made it fly like a hunchback with the legs carried almost in front of the body while flying. Cleaning the bird showed area size of a toonie that was thicker skin that rest of carcass but meat was fine.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:56 AM

Over ten years ago we stopped in at the old government run hatchery on hwy 1 just east of Brooks. They kindly answered a lot of our noobie questions from which we learned that the birds are ready to be released at six months of age. They also gave us photocopied maps of 7 release sites. As an aside I have been to Bigelow a few times this year and while I haven't seen the gong show others have described , it was busy and I was constantly watching where we were headed and where others were. Then we got down to a friends Taber area ranch last weekend...private access, great habitat and lots of wily wild birds...very differing experiences for us and the dogs...well worth the 3 hour drive
Old 10-28-2016, 12:02 PM

Default skain

Pheasant chicks were raised indoors at Brooks for the first 6 weeks of their lives not 6 months. They are kept under heat lamps for the first 3 weeks and then acclimatize to regular temps until 6 weeks when they can be released to the wild or put in outside fly pens. Cold rain is the greatest killer of young birds with hypothermia taking many if they get wet in the first few weeks outside.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification ww....so with you experience can you estimate the age of the birds that are being released through the ACA program?...six weeks seems young to me however I am not aware of their growth rate...sk
Old 10-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Default ACA releases adults

Birds for hunting must be at least 16 weeks to ensure muscle and feather development is complete but more (20 weeks is better). Brooks was raising birds from eggs hence they couldnt go outside until 6 weeks but wouldnt be put out on a release site until at least 16 weeks. Pretty sure the ACA birds are still from McFarlanes and are at least that old probably older.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the info. Really interesting.