Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 PM

Default End spotlighting?

Wow....didn't realize this was a common practice.

Night hunting practice of spotlighting has 'got to end,' says Manitoba Wildlife Federation
Group says this fall has been the worst season when it comes to reported cases

CBC News
October 26, 2016
Manitoba Wildlife Federation NightWatch campaign
The Manitoba Wildlife Federation's NightWatch campaign, which was launched in 2015, calls on the provincial government to ban spotlighting and work with hunters to create a new hunting policy that is safe and sustainable. (CBC)
1k shares
Too many Manitoba big-game hunters are putting the lives of people and livestock at risk by hunting at night, says the Manitoba Wildlife Federation, which wants the government to ban the practice altogether.

The federation says this fall has been one of the worst yet for "spotlighting," a hunting practice that involves shining bright lights into the eyes of animals at night, with farmers and rural property owners across the province reporting numerous cases of people hunting on or near their properties when it's dark.

"There's really terror there," Rob Olson, the federation's managing director, said in an interview Wednesday.

"Some of these areas where there's a lot of big game around farms, some of these land owners are getting spotlighted multiple times per night. So they're in a constant state of fear and worry and concern, and it's not OK. It's got to end."

Manitoba Wildlife Federation takes aim at nighttime hunting
Moose minds of world visit Manitoba, where Bullwinkle is 'in deep trouble'
Moose poachers nabbed by Manitoba conservation workers
In spotlighting, a hunter shines a powerful and focused artificial light into the eyes of animals such as moose, elk and deer, causing the prey to stop moving and therefore making it easier for them to be killed.

Olson said spotlighting raises a number of safety issues, with farmers fearing that hunters may trespass onto their properties at night and accidentally shoot at cattle, other farm animals, barns, houses and even people.

"You can't be sure at night of what's behind your target, and so that makes it really an unsafe practice and probably the biggest problem that we have with it," he said.

Hunting by spotlighting has also been responsible for an unprecedented decline in Manitoba's moose population, he said.

As well, it's illegal to hunt from a vehicle on a provincial road. Spotlighting hunters often take aim from a vehicle parked along roads, highways and trails, said Olson​.

Issue highlighted by recent death

Nighttime hunting made headlines recently with the death of 24-year-old Dylan Hapa of the Sioux Valley First Nation, who was shot while hunting in the woods northwest of Brandon, Man., on Sept. 27.

'He had lots left': Friends mourn death of Sioux Valley man shot while hunting
Man charged in fatal hunting incident near Powerview
As well, a 35-year-old man from Fort Alexander, Man., was killed in a nighttime hunting incident on Crown land north of Powerview, Man., in January 2010.

"There's been fatalities and there's been lots of close calls, so it's super-dangerous," Olson said.

"The other side of it is rural residents, cattle producers, farmers, where the spotlighting often happens around their properties, they live in a constant state of fear. They're in their farmhouse at night, they're hearing shots in the dark and some [are] wondering, 'Where are those bullets going?'"

Earlier this year, the wildlife federation shared the story of ranchers Victor and Doreen Sliworsky, who were sleeping in their home near Winnipegosis, Man., one night in September 2015 when a rifle bullet tore through their bedroom, missing Doreen's head by half a metre.

Spotlighting is legal for Indigenous hunters on Crown lands or on private land where they have the right of access, but Olson said many Indigenous hunters the federation has consulted oppose the practice.

He added that the federation does not have a problem with Indigenous hunters in remote communities who hunt traditionally at night, in the moonlight.

Olson said the federation has been talking with Indigenous hunters along the east side of Lake Winnipeg about declining moose populations as well as issues such as spotlighting.

"What I'm sort of learning in … the dialogue is that maybe there's a place for Indigenous nighttime traditions in remote areas — maybe calling moose by moonlight," he said

"So that's a dialogue that we really need the government to step in now and have that dialogue and really actively and sincerely work with First Nations to come up with reasonable solutions."

As part of its NightWatch campaign, which was launched last year, the wildlife federation is calling on the provincial government to ban spotlighting and work with hunters to create a new hunting policy that is safe and sustainable.

"We can't have bullets going into farm houses, we can't have dead cows, we can't have trampled crops, cut fences. Like, that has to stop," Olson said.

Olson said the new Progressive Conservative government has committed to banning unsafe hunting practices, including spotlighting, and conservation officers have told the federation in September they've noticed instructions to step up enforcement efforts.

He said in addition to a ban, he also wants a greater government investment in conservation officers and rural law enforcement.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:33 PM

Default Spotlighting

Another "right" that's been entrenched by law for a certain group of hunters. It's "traditional" don't cha' know to use spotlights and 22magnums to hunt big game. We really need to reign this crap in because it's not good for game populations and imagine how many animals are shot and lost like this.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

isnt spot lighting also legal outside of manitoba?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
isnt spot lighting also legal outside of manitoba?
It i s not legal for non natives, no .
Keep the posts here civil please
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-27-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 PM

It does not matter if its legal or not. Its an unsafe practice. Traditionally indigenous people did not hunt with 10,000,000 candle light spot lights and centerfire rifles.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
It does not matter if its legal or not. Its an unsafe practice. Traditionally indigenous people did not hunt with 10,000,000 candle light spot lights and centerfire rifles.
Or quads, but remember how they were exempted from the ATV ban? Not sure how that's traditional, considering they didn't exist until 1980ish. Yeah...I think there needs to be a real discussion about just how far treaty rights go. Good on the MWF for bringing the issue up.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWhitetail View Post
oh those keepers of land. The only artificial traditional light they had to hunt with was a torch. Should rename them destroyers of the land. Need an overhaul of all their bs "rights"
As I've often said, if folks want to rewrite the Rights of Indigenous Peoples be prepared to rewrite what the Treaties assured you as well...

As far as I know its legal in Alberta, Manitoba. Saskatchewan it isn't legal to use lights but they can still hunt under moonlight. I suspect that will soon change in Manitoba.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
As I've often said, if folks want to rewrite the Rights of Indigenous Peoples be prepared to rewrite what the Treaties assured you as well...

As far as I know its legal in Alberta, Manitoba. Saskatchewan it isn't legal to use lights but they can still hunt under moonlight. I suspect that will soon change in Manitoba.
I know this may sound silly, but how bout we sit at the table to discuss equal rights for all Canadians?

Crazy, I know......
Old 10-28-2016, 05:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I still shake my head at some of the legal ways to hunt.
Provinces state low numbers etc in various game yet allow some to continue on.
Sad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I know this may sound silly, but how bout we sit at the table to discuss equal rights for all Canadians?

Crazy, I know......
Kurt, you could never provide me, my children, my grand children or even my great grand children the "equality" we desire!! Even if you stripped away the Treaties and the Rights acknowledged within. If you could I'd mail you my Treaty Card this morning and overnight it to you!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I still shake my head at some of the legal ways to hunt.
Provinces state low numbers etc in various game yet allow some to continue on.
Sad.
All Provinces currently have the authority to act to conserve as enunciated by The Supreme Court of Canada, just have to be honourable, is that possible is the question?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Crazy, I know......
X2
Nothing free and no handouts. All pay equal taxes and all 💩 On the same....
you work for it or it doesn't happen. What's wrong with that scenario?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Kurt, you could never provide me, my children, my grand children or even my great grand children the "equality" we desire!! Even if you stripped away the Treaties and the Rights acknowledged within. If you could I'd mail you my Treaty Card this morning and overnight it to you!!!
You should mail it in. You and your children are provided with everything you ever need. Where would you be now if you still lived in tee pees and hunted with sticks and rocks. No house no rifle no spotlight Of course no taxes but wait You don't pay taxes now! Probably don't have to work for a living either. Maybe you should look at it from both sides!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
You should mail it in. You and your children are provided with everything you ever need. Where would you be now if you still lived in tee pees and hunted with sticks and rocks. No house no rifle no spotlight Of course no taxes but wait You don't pay taxes now! Probably don't have to work for a living either. Maybe you should look at it from both sides!
And this right here is why we will never achieve the equality that is spoken of. I've been paying taxes since I was 18, have owned a few homes over the years. And would dare say have worked likely harder and had to overachieve in my work life to succeed, while dealing with people like you with a like minded mindset.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
And this right here is why we will never achieve the equality that is spoken of. I've been paying taxes since I was 18, have owned a few homes over the years. And would dare say have worked likely harder and had to overachieve in my work life to succeed, while dealing with people like you with a like minded mindset.
I'm not the type to get into a hissy match over this stuff, as it is what it is, and it just gets threads shut down. However, you have alluded a number of times to a certain type of equality you seek. Can you please define that equality?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
What kind of dealings are you referring to? Exactly what kind of person am I? You have no idea. So maybe people like you are the problem? This thread is about spotlighting. Oviously this practice is dangerous. Why should a hundred year old treaty not be changed to allow SAFE hunting practices?? Answer me this? I'm fourth generation born in Canada. So why should anyone else have special privileges like spotlighting big game??
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
What kind of dealings are you referring to? Exactly what kind of person am I? You have no idea. So maybe people like you are the problem? This thread is about spotlighting. Oviously this practice is dangerous. Why should a hundred year old treaty not be changed to allow SAFE hunting practices?? Answer me this? I'm fourth generation born in Canada. So why should anyone else have special privileges like spotlighting big game??
Do you not read what you post??????

What kind of person do you think I am making a post such as this? First you assume I dont work, you assume I dont pay taxes, and you assume I dont hunt with a stick and string!!!

You should mail it in. You and your children are provided with everything you ever need. Where would you be now if you still lived in tee pees and hunted with sticks and rocks. No house no rifle no spotlight Of course no taxes but wait You don't pay taxes now! Probably don't have to work for a living either. Maybe you should look at it from both sides

I'll ask you this, if you want to change it for your benefit, is it ok for us to revisit to change it for our benefit?

You're right I dont know you but your one paragraph pretty much describes you and your dislikes. Of course I'm always open to have a civil discussion on the subject matter.....
Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm not the type to get into a hissy match over this stuff, as it is what it is, and it just gets threads shut down. However, you have alluded a number of times to a certain type of equality you seek. Can you please define that equality?
Ask Kurt, he's always espousing equality. Not sure at what cost...
Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Do you not read what you post??????

What kind of person do you think I am making a post such as this? First you assume I dont work, you assume I dont pay taxes, and you assume I dont hunt with a stick and string!!!

You should mail it in. You and your children are provided with everything you ever need. Where would you be now if you still lived in tee pees and hunted with sticks and rocks. No house no rifle no spotlight Of course no taxes but wait You don't pay taxes now! Probably don't have to work for a living either. Maybe you should look at it from both sides

I'll ask you this, if you want to change it for your benefit, is it ok for us to revisit to change it for our benefit?

You're right I dont know you but your one paragraph pretty much describes you and your dislikes. Of course I'm always open to have a civil discussion on the subject matter.....
Ok. What is your stand on spotlighting? Do you think it should be allowed? If so should non-treaty hunters be allowed to practice? Only honest answers please. I personally don't care that treaty rights allow hunting . But safety of others should trump the actions of some.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Why would I ask Kurt to speak for you? That wouldn't make much sense.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Legal or not, if people continue to shoot in the dark, with firearms that can kill at distances way beyond what the shooter can see, with or without a spotlight, it's only a matter of time before someone is killed or injured. Shooting firearms in the dark needs to be outlawed for everyone for that reason alone.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Ok. What is your stand on spotlighting? Do you think it should be allowed? If so should non-treaty hunters be allowed to practice? Only honest answers please. I personally don't care that treaty rights allow hunting . But safety of others should trump the actions of some.
Personal opinion, I think it should be reviewed as a practise but not for safety reasons in all areas. If big game populations are depressed then all activities should be reviewed. If it is unsafe to discharge a firearm from a location during the day then it should unsafe during the night.

Take it a step further there should no harvesting occurring during spring till late summer/early fall to allow the females to raise their young.

I may have a Treaty Right to the animal but I also a Responsibility to protect when required.

Personal opinion as asked for....
Old 10-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Legal or not, if people continue to shoot in the dark, with firearms that can kill at distances way beyond what the shooter can see, with or without a spotlight, it's only a matter of time before someone is killed or injured. Shooting firearms in the dark needs to be outlawed for everyone for that reason alone.
Guns can shoot farther then the human eye can see during the day.....and there have been deaths already. Both during the day and at night.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Guns can shoot farther then the human eye can see during the day.....and there have been deaths already. Both during the day and at night.
Yes, but the likeliness of that occurring during the day is significantly reduced, don't you agree?

There have been deaths involving vehicles at all times of the day as well, so how do we resolve that?

I was really dumbfounded that shooting at night #1 was legal for anyone #2 that it is actually commonplace in Manitoba.

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes, but the likeliness of that occurring during the day is significantly reduced, don't you agree?

There have been deaths involving vehicles at all times of the day as well, so how do we resolve that?

I was really dumbfounded that shooting at night #1 was legal for anyone #2 that it is actually commonplace in Manitoba.

LC
Exactly, shooting in the dark would be like everyone driving at night with no headlights. The odds of an accident rise astronomically.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:

LC
Isn't it common place in Alberta as well, as far as I know it is? Sask it isn't.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:

LC
Well, lets see after this hunting season.....fatalities every year during hunting season while hunting in the day...
Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Having lived in Manitoba for 30+ years, in a rural setting. I've known people and heard of other's bragging about their kills by night hunting useing spotlights, headlights, even ordinary flash lights and I'm not speaking only of natives. For lots of white people it's a way of life.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Well, lets see after this hunting season.....fatalities every year during hunting season while hunting in the day...

That is like saying that since sober people cause vehicle accidents, impaired driving should be legal.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good answer.

I'll help you out a bit.

You want to truly be treated as equal? Act like it.

I can never give you and future generations the equality you want? It's because of you and what you teach your children, my child is being taught equality for all Canadians in their schools and on social media, they are very aware of racism and gender equality. It's you who can't let it go, it's you who thinks their should be an entitlement to this land for some more so than others, and it's still being taught to your children that this is how it's supposed to be.

You don't believe this? Try watching some old tv programs with my children some day. You'll hear stuff like "wow, is that ever racist", and it's something that 20yrs ago was acceptable. You want equality? Teach your children they are equal. You want equality? Demand that the treaty benefits be abolished. You would be surprised how much of the racism you see towards FN today is a direct result of the resentment others have just because of the special rights and privileges given to the FN. Once those special privileges are gone, so is the resentment that goes along with it.

Maybe you're right, maybe I can't give you the equality you want. Maybe that's the problem, you are waiting for it to be given to you instead of getting it from me?

I'm not suggesting you don't work, or you don't pay taxes, or anything of the sort. I'm suggesting that it's nothing I can do to help you with your equality, it's something you as a people have to do yourselves.

On a side note, do you think in general FN people treat all other Canadians as equals more so than other Canadians think FN are equals? Serious question.
Closed Thread