Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Having lived in Manitoba for 30+ years, in a rural setting. I've known people and heard of other's bragging about their kills by night hunting useing spotlights, headlights, even ordinary flash lights and I'm not speaking only of natives. For lots of white people it's a way of life.
Yup. Both fn, metis, and whites. Up around the pas and west in sask. Lots of people who hunt that way. Same kind of person who drinks while driving, throws all their trash out the vehicle window, etc. I witnessed lots of bad behavior up around there.
But not everyone of course.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Well, lets see after this hunting season.....fatalities every year during hunting season while hunting in the day...
You're not comparing apples to apples here. You'd have to figure it out on a per capita basis because there are WAY more people that hunt during the day than at night. You can't look at absolute numbers on this case.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
You're not comparing apples to apples here. You'd have to figure it out on a per capita basis because there are WAY more people that hunt during the day than at night. You can't look at absolute numbers on this case.
Ok and your point is? I dont have a valid point???
Old 10-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Sure, there has already been 1-2 deaths in the dark in Manitoba. I honestly haven't heard of any "legal jack lighting" happening in Alberta in all the time I have lived here...over 40 years.

LC
Well, I guess you either never encountered or dont hunt in an area where it is prevalent. But I honestly do not know what the status is in Alberta....
Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Sneeze;3370928]I think this is a fair and reasonable question to answer? I am genuinely interested in the response.

I also have a question. At what statistical point, does a stereotype become a truth?

For example - if I was to say "All white people love lasagna", what statistical number of white people would have to love lasagna before that is no longer a stereotype". 51%? 99%?

It seems to me that almost every single aboriginal person I encounter fits the stereotypes that are assigned to them. Is it then still a stereotype? Can describing a fact be racist?[/QUOTE]

If I used your analogy and based on comments posted on this forum on anything to do with Indians, Metis or Aboriginal people, I could make a certain assumption but I wont do that because I know the vitriol that is espoused on here by some does not reflect or represent the majority...
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Ok and your point is? I dont have a valid point???
My point is: you can't say "look here, we had only 1 night time hunting death, but we had 4 day time hunting deaths, therefore day hunting is more dangerous than night hunting". This is only valid if you had the same number of people daybtime hunting and night time hunting. If this wasn't your argument then I apologize, but that's sure the way it sounded!

I'd sign any petition that was dropped in front of me to ban night hunting, and furthermore, anything to equal the hunting playing field amongst all Albertans. Period.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter;3371076[B
]My point is: you can't say "look here, we had only 1 night time hunting death, but we had 4 day time hunting deaths, therefore day hunting is more dangerous than night hunting". This is only valid if you had the same number of people daybtime hunting and night time hunting.[/B] If this wasn't your argument then I apologize, but that's sure the way it sounded!

I'd sign any petition that was dropped in front of me to ban night hunting, and furthermore, anything to equal the hunting playing field amongst all Albertans. Period.
And given that in 2015, there were over 128,000 resident licenses sold in Alberta, if there were 1200 people hunting at night, you would need to have ten times as many people killed while hunting during the day to have the same incident rate. If there were only 128 people hunting at night, there would have to be 100 people shot during the day for every person shot at nght
Old 10-28-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And given that in 2015, there were over 128,000 resident licenses sold in Alberta, if there were 1200 people hunting at night, you would need to have ten times as many people killed while hunting during the day to have the same incident rate. If there were only 128 people hunting at night, there would have to be 100 people shot during the day for every person shot at nght
Exactly. I'm not a statistician, but I can figure out that it's all relative, and not simply a 1:1 relationship.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Lots of country's and state's have some form of night hunting

no more accidents than any other time

Australia has were you can hunt at night on private property

here are the state's in USA that allow some form of night hunting

http://www.thermaloutfitters.com/nig...ting-laws.html

around the World night hunting is taking place and still practiced

Food for Thought

David
I'm not "pro spotlighting", but I find it interesting no one paid attention to this post. Kind of an interesting thing to take note of. Can night hunting be done safely if certain laws or ethics are in place? I might jump down the rabbit hole for fun one night and read about the practice in different countries and the results because of it.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugg View Post
Lefty what agency are you with PITA ?
No agency just a concerned citizen. It bothers you that I shared a news story? You would prefer people were unaware this occurs?

Are you with DADT?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-28-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
My point is: you can't say "look here, we had only 1 night time hunting death, but we had 4 day time hunting deaths, therefore day hunting is more dangerous than night hunting". This is only valid if you had the same number of people daybtime hunting and night time hunting. If this wasn't your argument then I apologize, but that's sure the way it sounded!

I'm sure you would.....
Old 10-28-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:

If I used your analogy and based on comments posted on this forum on anything to do with Indians, Metis or Aboriginal people, I could make a certain assumption but I wont do that because I know the vitriol that is espoused on here by some does not reflect or represent the majority...
What would your assumption be? I would like to know what your thoughts on my question are.... when does a stereotype become a reality?

I have never sent anybody to a residential school, I have never conquered anybody, and I definitely haven't subjugated anybody. How much would you like from me? A million? A trillion?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
What would your assumption be? I would like to know what your thoughts on my question are.... when does a stereotype become a reality?

I have never sent anybody to a residential school, I have never conquered anybody, and I definitely haven't subjugated anybody. How much would you like from me? A million? A trillion?
I want nothing of yours....I'll leave that up the government to decide how much of your wealth they wish to take. The collective we have little to do with that. The government takes and they distribute.

To answer your question that would be up to the individual, I suspect with you it might be one or two, with others they may never reach the conclusion you've identified....
Old 10-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I want nothing of yours....I'll leave that up the government to decide how much of your wealth they wish to take. The collective we have little to do with that. The government takes and they distribute.

To answer your question that would be up to the individual, I suspect with you it might be one or two, with others they may never reach the conclusion you've identified....
The collective is made up of you and I. Individuals.

So how much is it going to cost for this "equality" you want? How much land? How many resources? How much money?

Or do you mean respect? Because you can't buy it and I can't give it to you. You have to earn it. Respect is hard work made even more difficult by having a giant chip on your shoulder.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
The collective is made up of you and I. Individuals.

So how much is it going to cost for this "equality" you want? How much land? How many resources? How much money?

Or do you mean respect? Because you can't buy it and I can't give it to you. You have to earn it. Respect is hard work made even more difficult by having a giant chip on your shoulder.
Oh I know what the collective is as I pay more then my fair share as part of that collective.

To answer your equality question, at this stage I am speaking for my great grandchildren and their grandchildren because its to late for my children or even my grandchildren. To be considered equals and not lesser because of their race and cultural beliefs. 5 and 7 year olds should never have to through the crap they have to put up with just because of who they are.

As for respect and how to acquire the same advice you offer can be thrown back at you. And sorry to say that chip has been knocked off many times but I've put it back on there. It was either that or roll over and die........

How would you prefer I earn your respect, succumb and remain silent and sit in the corner?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
No agency just a concerned citizen. It bothers you that I shared a news story? You would prefer people were unaware this occurs?

Are you with DADT?

LC
a concerned citizen why you live in Manitoba ? people all over the world hunt in different ways in a different culture are we to grab our pitch forks who's next trappers ,outfitters,fishermen, . there are groups that watch this site looking for some sucker to take the bait ...
Old 10-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
a concerned citizen why you live in Manitoba ? people all over the world hunt in different ways in a different culture are we to grab our pitch forks who's next trappers ,outfitters,fishermen, . there are groups that watch this site looking for some sucker to take the bait ...
No I don't but MB-MBR doesn't live in Alberta, we can't share opinions of what occurs in our country?

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
No I don't but MB-MBR doesn't live in Alberta, we can't share opinions of what occurs in our country?

LC
absolutely we all have opinions ,so if post with stats an article on how many wounded animals get away in archery season saying it should be band where does it stop. would i use a spot light to hunt no would i ever no people have choices is it or wrong who i am i to judge but i will not give PITA fuel .
Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Good answer.

I'll help you out a bit.

You want to truly be treated as equal? Act like it.

I can never give you and future generations the equality you want? It's because of you and what you teach your children, my child is being taught equality for all Canadians in their schools and on social media, they are very aware of racism and gender equality. It's you who can't let it go, it's you who thinks their should be an entitlement to this land for some more so than others, and it's still being taught to your children that this is how it's supposed to be.

You don't believe this? Try watching some old tv programs with my children some day. You'll hear stuff like "wow, is that ever racist", and it's something that 20yrs ago was acceptable. You want equality? Teach your children they are equal. You want equality? Demand that the treaty benefits be abolished. You would be surprised how much of the racism you see towards FN today is a direct result of the resentment others have just because of the special rights and privileges given to the FN. Once those special privileges are gone, so is the resentment that goes along with it.

Maybe you're right, maybe I can't give you the equality you want. Maybe that's the problem, you are waiting for it to be given to you instead of getting it from me?

I'm not suggesting you don't work, or you don't pay taxes, or anything of the sort. I'm suggesting that it's nothing I can do to help you with your equality, it's something you as a people have to do yourselves.

On a side note, do you think in general FN people treat all other Canadians as equals more so than other Canadians think FN are equals? Serious question.

GREAT POST Kurt!!!!!!!!!
You hit it outta the park on this one!!!
Too bad FN can't wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you would.....
Yes, I would and I think the VAST majority of non FN would do the same. Don't get me wrong here, if I had the "liberties" that others do, I wouldn't want to give them up either, but I feel we should all be forced to follow the same rules. I don't like it when I go to a restaurant or golf course and I'm forced to follow a dress code, but then see others that don't have to because of some "special privilege", and I feel the same about hunting and fishing. I think that BS, to put it bluntly.

I think rules (read laws) are put in place for the better of society as a whole, and that includes rules (laws) for hunting and fishing. Imagine if all people (FN plus non FN) could hunt at all times of the year.......yeah, there would be nothing left. Greed would reign supreme and all would be lost. I don't want the same rights as FN, I want everyone to have to follow the same rules because I think that's the best thing for everyone.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Good answer.

I'll help you out a bit.

You want to truly be treated as equal? Act like it.

I can never give you and future generations the equality you want? It's because of you and what you teach your children, my child is being taught equality for all Canadians in their schools and on social media, they are very aware of racism and gender equality. It's you who can't let it go, it's you who thinks their should be an entitlement to this land for some more so than others, and it's still being taught to your children that this is how it's supposed to be.

You don't believe this? Try watching some old tv programs with my children some day. You'll hear stuff like "wow, is that ever racist", and it's something that 20yrs ago was acceptable. You want equality? Teach your children they are equal. You want equality? Demand that the treaty benefits be abolished. You would be surprised how much of the racism you see towards FN today is a direct result of the resentment others have just because of the special rights and privileges given to the FN. Once those special privileges are gone, so is the resentment that goes alongn with it.

Maybe you're right, maybe I can't give you the equality you want. Maybe that's the problem, you are waiting for it to be given to you instead of getting it from me?

I'm not suggesting you don't work, or you don't pay taxes, or anything of the sort. I'm suggesting that it's nothing I can do to help you with your equality, it's something you as a people have to do yourselves.

On a side note, do you think in general FN people treat all other Canadians as equals more so than other Canadians think FN are equals? Serious question.
Precisely.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Precisely.
WOW. Just wow. You guys really know how to make people welcome don't you. "Resentment" REALLY????? You want to live on underfunded run down Rez with the bare minimum requirements for life? Substandard water, Substandard education and health care? Substandard housing? Substandard roads and other basic infrastructure? Seems like some think that the right to harvest out of season etc trumps all other basic needs.

Out.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
absolutely we all have opinions ,so if post with stats an article on how many wounded animals get away in archery season saying it should be band where does it stop. would i use a spot light to hunt no would i ever no people have choices is it or wrong who i am i to judge but i will not give PITA fuel .
Opposing spotlighting if anything is supporting safe practices. I think antis and fence sitters who are indifferent to hunting would also support safe practices.

Animals escape...that's part of hunting, some animals are hit by cars and don't immediately die either...we have to speak up for safe practices and it's ok speak out against unsafe ones.

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
WOW. Just wow. You guys really know how to make people welcome don't you. "Resentment" REALLY????? You want to live on underfunded run down Rez with the bare minimum requirements for life? Substandard water, Substandard education and health care? Substandard housing? Substandard roads and other basic infrastructure? Seems like some think that the right to harvest out of season etc trumps all other basic needs.

Out.
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. If your life sucks it's because you made bad choices. If your life is good it's a result of good choices. Anyone can get a good or bad break in life, but it's how you respond to it that determines your outcome. Quit effin whining you big baby. If life on the reserve sucks...and I'm positive it does...then get outta there and join society. Put down the bottle, stop blaming whitey for your woes and get a job. I've known a few that have done it and they have my respect. In fact one of them was one of my best employees. Another is a longtime friend...so don't bother telling me how racist I am.

It seems a few are afraid to say what they believe as the censorship seems to be getting a little tighter here, but I'm not afraid to say it. The biggest reason most of us are so disgusted with native harvest is the far too common trophy hunting aspect of it. From summertime bulls access Suffield to Hwy 3 sheep on wintering grounds, it ain't a traditional way of life and you know it. Pretty easy to say "yea but the treaties say we can". If it was about the traditional way of life, then stick to it. Antlers may have made tools a couple centuries ago, but I've never heard of taxidermy mounts on the teepee wall. If I linked the arrogance of all the Rez Racks from Facebook I'd get suspended for sure. Racism does still exist. Current laws and attitudes from BOTH sides will guarantee it doesn't go away. The natives in this discussion are a good example. I don't know if you're doing it on purpose to try to close the thread...which happens...or if you're so oblivious to it that it's unintentional.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 PM

Back in 85 I went in to FW in Rocky and asked this very same question . I was told that it was legal but they wouldn't recommend it, these are the same words I tell anyone I've mentored or anyone else that asks. I could go on about the reasons for not hunting at night but if you don't know already you shouldn't be hunting. IMO
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

Out.
Dude, I'm only stating the obvious.

PS, they are reserves, not prisons, the doors to opportunity and prosperity are open 24/7.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Banned

Oh and as to the topic...I'm in favor of hunting at night for everyone. Not a free for all but when I see predator hunting in the dark from other places, it makes me wish...
My limits for safety would restrict it to private land only in the interest of safety. On public land you can't be sure if anyone else is out there. On private you could have some assurance that you not only know the lay of the land, but that nobody should be wandering around where the critters are. If a trespasser gets winged, well maybe that would solve another problem.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Out.
What I'm saying is that there IS resentment from non FN people because there's such a bias in the rules that apply to hunting and fishing. In no way am I saying there's not a LOT more to the situation that many Aboriginal folks are in, I'm specifically focusing on hunting and fishing privileges. I just don't know why we can't all be governed by the same rules - focusing strictly on hunting and fishing.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Precisely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. If your life sucks it's because you made bad choices. If your life is good it's a result of good choices. Anyone can get a good or bad break in life, but it's how you respond to it that determines your outcome. Quit effin whining you big baby. If life on the reserve sucks...and I'm positive it does...then get outta there and join society. Put down the bottle, stop blaming whitey for your woes and get a job. I've known a few that have done it and they have my respect. In fact one of them was one of my best employees. Another is a longtime friend...so don't bother telling me how racist I am.

It seems a few are afraid to say what they believe as the censorship seems to be getting a little tighter here, but I'm not afraid to say it. The biggest reason most of us are so disgusted with native harvest is the far too common trophy hunting aspect of it. From summertime bulls access Suffield to Hwy 3 sheep on wintering grounds, it ain't a traditional way of life and you know it. Pretty easy to say "yea but the treaties say we can". If it was about the traditional way of life, then stick to it. Antlers may have made tools a couple centuries ago, but I've never heard of taxidermy mounts on the teepee wall. If I linked the arrogance of all the Rez Racks from Facebook I'd get suspended for sure. Racism does still exist. Current laws and attitudes from BOTH sides will guarantee it doesn't go away. The natives in this discussion are a good example. I don't know if you're doing it on purpose to try to close the thread...which happens...or if you're so oblivious to it that it's unintentional.

LMAO obviously another with an axe to grind. I am not FN but have family members who are along with Metis. None live on the Rez, it's too effed up. Everyone thinks their hunting rights are out too lunch but never had to walk a mile in their shoes. As I said earlier in this thread I support FN people as much as is possible in making their lifes better and think that more of that activity - ie) accepting things as they are and then working to make them better is the path to change......

In every system you will find users, and abusers. I disagree with lots of things including night lighting , but don't lose my mind over it either. I would say just be home at night you won't have to worry.

As for me sir, no worries, I will be just fine. No bad decisions here. Ran my own business of 50 employees for over 25 years and came out smelling like a rose.

So good day to you too. Sad that Citiots seek to think they know what's best for all. No one was talking about trophies til you brought it up.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is that there IS resentment from non FN people because there's such a bias in the rules that apply to hunting and fishing. In no way am I saying there's not a LOT more to the situation that many Aboriginal folks are in, I'm specifically focusing on hunting and fishing privileges. I just don't know why we can't all be governed by the same rules - focusing strictly on hunting and fishing.
Resentment on our part will never solve the issue of inequality that many of us are subject to in regard to hunting rights......a Federally mandated system on one hand versus the provincially mandated one on the other hand, which unfortunately the vast majority fall under.

Focusing on one issue will never solve any of this, the whole system stinks and until people on both sides of the coin are resolved to fix it, it's not getting fixed.