Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2016, 09:48 AM

Default Damaging Meat?

Hey guys bit of a noob question but what's gonna ruin more meat rifle or bow some of those broadheads make a nasty hole thoughts and opinions please

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 AM

shoot them in the vitals and its negligible either way
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
shoot them in the vitals and its negligible either way
I know but it doesn't always go that way watching a lot of that bowhunt or die show on YouTube sometimes it's right thru the center of the deer that's gotta be messy

Old 10-28-2016, 09:54 AM

and what would the difference be with a bullet?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM

I have seen lots and little damage from both....placement, angles, bullet type, velocity, so many factors have an effect.

Broadheads kill by cutting and creating massive bleeding, bullets do that and have the added benefit of added ft-lbs.

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM
AO Sponsor

If you like meat, then do not shoot with explosive ammo. It makes a disgusting mess inside, dark jello ick stink... yuck.

Too bad we cant use FMJ for our does and meat animals. It's good enough for killing people in a war, surely is good enough for well placed shots from meat hunters. Same goes for the 22 centerfires.

Uh oh... city boys will probably whine now?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have seen lots and little damage from both....placement, angles, bullet type, velocity, so many factors have an effect.

Broadheads kill by cutting and creating massive bleeding, bullets do that and have the added benefit of added ft-lbs.

LC
That was took with a rifle?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Three different animals....

Archery, archery, .240wby

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Broadheads make a big hole and sometimes a whole mess of blood but you don't have to worry about fragments from bullets Having hunted with both, much prefer the meat from bow over rifle.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM

I have never lost a lot of meat when making a lung shot on a deer with a rifle or a broadhead
Cat
Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
If you like meat, then do not shoot with explosive ammo. It makes a disgusting mess inside, dark jello ick stink... yuck.

Too bad we cant use FMJ for our does and meat animals. It's good enough for killing people in a war, surely is good enough for well placed shots from meat hunters. Same goes for the 22 centerfires.

FMJ bullets were not designed to kill people in war. They have a far higher ratio of wounding and not killing. This put a far greater strain on the countries resources than if the soldier simply died.
Not sure how you would get more meat from a doe than with expanding bullets as you would lose many more when they ran and ran and ran. If you did drop them, I don't know of a whole lot of meat on the ribs anyway.

Not sure why your attack on the urban dwellers.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Broadheads make a big hole and sometimes a whole mess of blood but you don't have to worry about fragments from bullets Having hunted with both, much prefer the meat from bow over rifle.
Awesome basically what I wanted to know I love this forum haha

Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
FMJ bullets were not designed to kill people in war. They have a far higher ratio of wounding and not killing. This put a far greater strain on the countries resources than if the soldier simply died.
Not sure how you would get more meat from a doe than with expanding bullets as you would lose many more when they ran and ran and ran. If you did drop them, I don't know of a whole lot of meat on the ribs anyway.

x2
Old 10-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post

X3 with bergerboy... just because the military uses something doesnt mean it is the best for all other aspects of life, or even best for the military. The hague convention of 1899 requires military use non-expanding bullets, not necessarily the military decision.

Choose a bonded bullet if you want to try to keep the fragmenting down, can also shoot heavier bullets at slower velocities to get good penetration and less expansion. Velocity is what encourages big fragmentation.

If you hit the ribs through both lungs and out the other ribs, you will likely have not damaged any leg meat or back straps. You might have damaged two to three ribs on each side. And deer ribs have much less meat on the ribs than pork, so overall you damaged 1/4 pound of meat.

Last edited by Nyksta; 10-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:02 PM

Didn't you know that you're supposed to shoot them in the eye between blinks so as to avoid wasting the eyelid meat??
Old 10-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

I'm not a city boy but I have to disagree. I use 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for my deer and they work outstanding for broadside shots into the boiler room. I get an entry wound, lungs that are mush and no exit wound......very minimal damage to the meat. Another bonus is that the deer will either drop on the spot or only go 50 yards before piling up.

It's against the laws of war to use expanding bullets.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Bow kill is always a better tasting animal. But also a lot more challenging.
If you don't hit vitals chances are your not going to recover it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM

For the Bow Hunters, ever lost a blade or a piece of the blade from the arrow inside the meat and not find it or is this impossible? Not a bow hunter, just curious. Sorry for the derail OP.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
Bow kill is always a better tasting animal.
Is that so? Even when you only find the fricken thing 12 hours later?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
For the Bow Hunters, ever lost a blade or a piece of the blade from the arrow inside the meat and not find it or is this impossible? Not a bow hunter, just curious. Sorry for the derail OP.
I haven't had that happen yet. I have had arrows break due to various things but not the broadheads.

LC
Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 AM

Rifle kills with shock and hitting power. No contest. Rifle