Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Default Tennis Elbow

I'm pretty sure I've devloped a case of "Tennis Elbow" as a result of fishing. Anyone have any experiance with this?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I'm pretty sure I've devloped a case of "Tennis Elbow" as a result of fishing. Anyone have any experiance with this?
stop fishing for ever and take up knitting...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM

you're just a walking catastrophe this summer arent you???lol
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
stop fishing for ever and take up knitting...
Not an option I do knit, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
you're just a walking catastrophe this summer arent you???lol
No kidding. That toe STILL hasn't healed enough for me to wear real shoes.

I'm going to see if I can pick up an elbow brace. I can't even change a diaper without wanting to cry. I can't open jars or load the dishwasher. It is bloody painful! And, I've got a casting class on Tuesday (which I've already rescheduled once).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I watched a show a while back with Al Llinder, when he was wearing a tendinitis brace - refered to it as "walleye elbow"!
Get yourself to physio, they can help you out....
Cat
Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Get yourself to physio, they can help you out....
Cat
I know I should do that. I picked up a brace at London Drugs. They're regularly $19.99, but it was $4 off.

I'll give it a few days to see if it helps at all . . . then I'll pursue physio.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM

had the same problem since PCR this summer. can hardly pick up a glass of wine with my left hand! Doc said take Advil and rest, yah I will just sit at home for a couple months til its gone. not going to stop fishing tho, some pain just has to be ignored! really sucks at work tho.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM

That is exactly when this started for me too, Wayne: after my first trip to PCR! It certainly is "Walleye Elbow." It has been steadily getting worse since then, and my second trip to PCR didn't help matters any.

I did find an article that goes into it a bit: http://www.bassfishingnetwork.com/ar...nis_elbow.html

I use a MH 7' rod at PCR, and I think that you were using an UL, so not all of what is discussed in the article applies. My pain is in the outside of my elbow, and that can apparently be caused by holding the rod too tight.

I may have to cut my season a little shorter than I wanted to. I'll do my casting class, hit the Bow with Jinx on Wednesday, and maybe end my season there.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:43 PM

nooooo. cant stop!!!!!! I cant anyways, now that Ive found out about those perch, since its only 1/2 hour from here, less if I take my car have to pick up some of those flies when I see the doctor in the Hat Tuesday, if I can find that store. I likes perches!!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Exercises work

Just to let you know--those exercises work, drugs and rest will not. Start slowly and with light weights--work up. BEL
Old 09-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Well, the brace has certainly eased some of the pain. It does still hurt . . . but it is more of a dull ache. I'm able to get the lids off of baby food jars now, too. But, that hurts alot.

I know I've got some of those rubber work out bands downstairs somewhere. I'll dig those out.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Lots of wine helps too.
I can hook you up lol.no pun intended.

You have a duty to slay perch now however, elbow or not!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM

all this perch talk makes me wish it wasnt so far from here...lol
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

I have been playing tennis "hardcore" for 12 yrs. I play about about 15 hrs per week. I've asked many pro's and physio guru's the question of tennis elbow. I've never experienced it myself, but they all agree that the reason people get tennis elbow is due to improper technique. That goes for golfers elbow also, it is on the opposite side of the tennis elbow. You need to revisit or have a casting expert look at your technique. I did get a short case of golfers elbow until I got corrected by a golf pro. It was my swing path causing the pain. Just a thought for you to consider.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM

My chiro fixed my elbow and wrist , they are simply bones, same as your back!
He also showed me how to work the muscle groups myself - hurts like hell, but works wonders as well!
What you have to do is dig your gingers in between the muscle groupjust forward of the elbow, and work them in, moving toward the wrist as you go.
The muscles become bunched up, and the tendons cannot lengthen back out because of it, and this helps them to do that.
Cat
Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
No, but I once got "walleye elbow' from playing tennis...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Ah boy oh boy , you folks need to do your excersizing before fishing .

Take a look at this website . http://ohiofishingnews.blogspot.com/...g-muscles.html

I always stretch my arms out before doing lots of casting dont get sore wrists or shoulders or elbows after 16 hrs of fishing .

Exercises to tone fishing muscles

Here is my personal list of exercises for fishing success. They are stretches and specific muscle builders. Always consult with your physician before doing any of these exercises.

Exercises to make casting more perfect

Stretch and twist your torso: From a seated position with arms folded over your chest, bend at waist to the right, hold for a count of 10, return to straight seated position and repeat to left. Now rotate at the waist to one side, hold for count of 10, return to neutral seated position and repeat to opposite side. Do not bounce the stretch, do not stretch until you feel pain, do not over exert yourself. Inhale before the stretch and exhale during the stretch.

Shoulder rolls, arm rolls, wrist rolls: In a standing position, head up, eyes forward, arms at sides, slowly roll shoulders forward in small circles progressing to larger circles. Reverse. Do about 10 times each. Now extend arms out level with floor. Make small, forward circular movements with arms progressing to larger circles. Reverse. Do about 10 times each. Finally extend your arms out in front of you. Make circular motions with both wrists, first in one direction, then the reverse direction. Do about 10 times each.

Upper arms, chest stretch: Stand with feet shoulder width apart, arms extended out level with floor, palms facing forward. Move arms back as far as you can. You will feel the stretch in the biceps and upper chest muscles.

Stretch your wrists: Put hands together like you are praying. Raise elbows until arms are parallel to the floor while keeping palms of hands flat together. Hold for count of 10, release. Repeat 3 times (with weights see this article).

Stretch your fingers: Rub hands together vigorously to warm them up. Make balled fists with both hands. Hold for a count of 10. Open fists and extend fingers as far as possible. Hold for a count of 10. Repeat 3 times (for more extensive Chinese wrist and finger exercises see this article).

Build "the fishing muscle" for rod bending landings

The muscle most responsible for hauling in a fish is the one that tires most easily, the brachialis. It is the muscle that flexes the elbow joint. I call it the "fishing muscle."

The number one exercise to add rod-bending power to your fish landing skill is the preacher hammer dumbbell curl followed by the hammer dumbbell curl.

Reverse dumbbell curls and reverse preacher curls can also help.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
You need to revisit or have a casting expert look at your technique.
You are absolutely correct. How do I find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My chiro fixed my elbow and wrist , they are simply bones, same as your back!
Well, sort of. The spine, from what I understand, is "infinitely" adjustable, and that makes it different from the rest of our bones. There's a lot of argument about that. I only see the chiro for my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
No, but I once got "walleye elbow' from playing tennis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Ah boy oh boy , you folks need to do your excersizing before fishing.
You are absolutely correct, as well. Thanks for the link, and all of the great info

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Alright John, Now I have heard it all. You are now personal trainer to the stars of the AO Forum.

It's colder here in hell than I thought, and there are flying pigs everywhere.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Alright John, Now I have heard it all. You are now personal trainer to the stars of the AO Forum.

It's colder here in hell than I thought, and there are flying pigs everywhere.
thats what happens when you eat moldy bread

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
thats what happens when you eat moldy bread

? What did you put in that wine ?

NOT SO FUNNY WHEN A FISH COMES UP WITH AN ANCHOR EH WAYNE!! Your fish didn't have dorsal spines stabbing your stabber, either.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

The way I see it is justification for a boat and motor
Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM

dont know how a boat and motor would help with reeling in fish, unless you towed them up on shore

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I've had several bouts with TE in both arms. Crazy painful. Did all sorts of physio, finally went for cortezone shots and that was crazy painful too for a couple days then all good. Cortezone lasts 3-6 months and not as bad as you here about just as long as it's the elbows only. Had this done several times. Now I really have to over exert my arms to feel any kind of pain. And trust me, I stop whatever it is I am doing that aggrevates the elbows. Back picking up my coffee cup on my own, Fishing, Hunting etc. etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

I reel with my left, and cast with my right. It is my right that is all screwed up. So yes, and boat and a motor might help I have the boat, the motor is coming in the spring (I hope). I don't even what to think about paddling right now!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Well, I finally spoke to my doctor about this, as I'm still in a lot of pain.

I was given a prescription for something called Diclofenac Gel. I'm supposed to put it on the affected area three times a day . . . it is an anti-inflammatory gel. He's also sent me off to physio, which I start next Friday. I'm still using the brace I purchased.

In the event there isn't a marked difference in the next couple of months, he mentioned some sort of injection. I'm assuming it is a steroid that is injected directly into the muscle, but I didn't chat with him about it in any great detail.

I told him that I HAD to be fixed by the spring. He's prepared to get aggressive in the treatment of my injury (which is officially diagnosed as "Tennis Elbow"). He's optimistic that the problem can be solved by the time the ice melts

Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 PM

I thought mine was gone, but I couldnt lift or do anything strenous for the last 5 weeks after my surgery, but now that Im back at work lifting bales, here it is again. Oh well, Im not giving up reeling in all my fish just for a little pain!!!!!!! I believe those shots hurt like hell maybe I will just have more wine and quit whining

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I thought mine was gone, but I couldnt lift or do anything strenous for the last 5 weeks after my surgery, but now that Im back at work lifting bales, here it is again. Oh well, Im not giving up reeling in all my fish just for a little pain!!!!!!! I believe those shots hurt like hell maybe I will just have more wine and quit whining
According to Warriorboy, it wasn't that bad.

My doc advised me that he'd gotten tennis elbow as a result of mountain biking: from squeezing the brake too hard. He chose not to do anything about it and not change anything he was doing either. It healed in around 18 months. I told him he shouldn't be treating his body the way a mechanic treats his car. He told me that he knew it would heal eventually, and he had been perfectly content to wait until it healed on it's own.

Do you really want to wait 18 months or longer? That's a lot of wine! (Or, is it "Whine"?)

Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 PM

aww, thats only about next hardwater season, I can wait it out

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-21-2009, 10:56 AM

If it's any comfort, I've had my "tennis" elbow for at least 3 months now. Everytime I have to grip something or do a handshake I get the pain spikes in the elbow. Haven't fly fished in over a month now due to it. On the plus side, my left arm casting has gotten better

Because it's an inflammed ligament it takes forever to heal and what people have said is that it really only heals if you don't use it. Just like the classic saying, does it hurt when you do that? Well stop doing that!

A warm rag soaked in castor oil is supposed to take the inflammation away over time, I'm going to be doing that in the next few weeks. I will not do any kind of steriods or injections but I should think about getting a brace. Did you just pick one up at a drugstore?