Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 03:11 PM

When I have a difficult lifely decision to make, I visit my friends in the forest to help me put things into perspective.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
When I have a difficult lifely decision to make, I visit my friends in the forest to help me put things into perspective.

Nice!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I just got a small bam/black poplar on trap line north of Edson, it is only 6 foot diameter. Canfor took out a lot of old growth spruce west of Kegs country, lot of them were 3 footers, not many left now. West Fraser logging lodge pole pine off our line. Most AO members have a dick longer than width of most trees they cut.
I hauled a few of those logs.

Spent three winters hauling logs off the ridge northwest of Hines Creek for the MDFP mill. We logged all the way up to Sharps Hill on the chin road. Mile 101.

Took several loads down to Canfor because they were too big for our mill.

I was told the biggest was just over 40". I can't confirm that, never had time to measure the trees I hauled.

I know we all had a load or ten with less then six logs per load. That is with a 42 ton payload. And no tops or branches.

We hauled babies compared to Canfor in High Level.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2020, 08:02 AM

Keg in my younger days chased many moose through those monster Clear hills spruce. I like your refrance of 6 log loads, now they need 60 logs for a load.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:13 AM

As an aside, looking at our property what I find really astounding is how long it takes for some logged or cleared areas to return to a prior state. A hundred years could pass and areas still won’t look remotely like surrounding untouched forest. Spruce get logged off and aspen dominate. The old mixed growth spruce, aspen, etc and all the associated wildlife just can’t come back within even several human lifespans.