Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Default Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...

So I was checking out some of the local ACA sites for a place to practice shooting with my flintlock. Then I come across a sign that says that your allowed to hunt on the ACA site, but target shooting in not permitted.🙄

So it got me thinking. Hmmm...If rabbit can be legally hunted year round in Alberta...

On a more serious note... Is there a difference between ACA sites and crown land, or are ACA sites considered crown land?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 10-23-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:27 PM

I thought you were serious for a minute

Most common around here for ACA to make restricted land use agreements with private landowners.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I thought you were serious for a minute

Most common around here for ACA to make restricted land use agreements with private landowners.
Well...I don't think the law really specifies what type of rabbits I can shoot. Steel ones fair game?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 10-23-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:38 PM

so you do think steel rabbit shooting is hunting?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

your trolling a bit eh?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
your trolling a bit eh?

No I am not. I just want to get out and practice with my gun somewhere, but I don't really want to kill anything. It just find it odd that a person can shoot guns at animals, but it would not be okay for me to just shoot something at the ground? Would it?
Old 10-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
No I am not. I just want to get out and practice with my gun somewhere, but I don't really want to kill anything. It just find it odd that a person can shoot guns at animals, but it would not be okay for me to just shoot something at the ground? Would it?
look if the rules state you can hunt the land but not target shoot then so be it..it makes perfect sense to me....land is dedicated to hunting.....which usually does not entail range like noise associated with target shooting/plinking etc.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:08 PM

ACA land is not crown land.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-23-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
so you do think steel rabbit shooting is hunting?
Hunting rabbits still entails rabbit shooting. I'll just miss a few real ones I guess...and maybe take one home for the stew pot. I'm not looking to set up for sighting in a rifle or something like that. Just want to do a little woods walk and make a bit of smoke with my gun. If this is still considered taboo, I would not do it. I am just trying to gauge if it is a bad idea or not. I'll find a range somewhere if need be for actual plinking/target shooting.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
look if the rules state you can hunt the land but not target shoot then so be it..it makes perfect sense to me....land is dedicated to hunting.....which usually does not entail range like noise associated with target shooting/plinking etc.
That's fair enough.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Hunting rabbits still entails rabbit shooting. I'll just miss a few real ones I guess...and maybe take one home for the stew pot. I'm not looking to set up for sighting in a rifle or something like that. Just want to do a little woods walk and make a bit of smoke with my gun. If this is still considered taboo, I would not do it. I am just trying to gauge if it is a bad idea or not. I'll find a range somewhere if need be.
Bad idea....find land to shoot on....once your all sighted in etc then return to the ACA land and hunt it with your finely dialed in gun....good luck.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Bad idea....find land to shoot on....once your all sighted in etc then return to the ACA land and hunt it with your finely dialed in gun....good luck.
Like I said... I was not planning on sighting in anything. I have a smoothbore flintlock that has no rear sights to begin with. It is a close range gun and not something that can be fired rapidly. I just want to fire off a few shots at something safe to shoot at and not necessarily kill anything if I have to. If I have to go to a gun range or somewhere out west I will.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:24 PM

then just head out for a walk on crown land....burn some powder making noise and smoke....then you know for sure there will be no issues.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:

There are a couple of really good reasons those rules exist. First and foremost is every public used open shooting area turns into a massive garbage heap in no time flat. Second, firing a few shots out hunting is a lot different than burning through a few hundred rounds target practising. Hunters and shooters are not the only users of ACA sites. Join a range, there are lots, not expensive and you have a great place to shoot with proper backstops and no one down range of you. If you went for a walk and shot a few targets of opportunity, that don't need to be live with a Flintlock I don't think anyone would care, but setting up targets and shooting for a few hours isn't the same thing.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are a couple of really good reasons those rules exist. First and foremost is every public used open shooting area turns into a massive garbage heap in no time flat. Second, firing a few shots out hunting is a lot different than burning through a few hundred rounds target practising. Hunters and shooters are not the only users of ACA sites. Join a range, there are lots, not expensive and you have a great place to shoot with proper backstops and no one down range of you. If you went for a walk and shot a few targets of opportunity, that don't need to be live with a Flintlock I don't think anyone would care, but setting up targets and shooting for a few hours isn't the same thing.

I 100% agree with you. Thanks for posting. The last shooting range I was going to, a farmer was nice enough to set up for public use and next thing you know it is being closed down because of arseholes going in with illegal restricted guns and making a mess leaving garbage and clay pidgeons and crap lying around. I am a pack out what you pack in type of person...leave no trace.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Today's topic: why can't I go to an aca site and do the one thing they ask us not to do?

Tomorrow's topic: why are land owners too selfish to allow hunters on their land?

If you have to ask why this is a bad idea, you are part of the problem.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:56 PM

You could just hammer that real rabbit 100 times on ACA land just to be sure it didn't suffer.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
Today's topic: why can't I go to an aca site and do the one thing they ask us not to do?

Tomorrow's topic: why are land owners too selfish to allow hunters on their land?

If you have to ask why this is a bad idea, you are part of the problem.

You don't have to be a dick about it. This was NOT about going in and setting up a bench to sight in rifles which I don't even own, or firing off multiple rounds, or shooting the place up. I was simply trying to get a feel for if a person could do a woods walk and shoot a gun on an ACA site. The only reason I thought a rabbit sillouhette is becase I can pack it in and pack it out and I wouldn't have to kill any real rabbits. It's the same outdoor experience as hunting rabbits minus the actual killing part. Is not part of the experience or enjoyment of hunting just being out in a natural setting with your gun and getting a chance to actually use it to shoot something? But no...unless I am actually killing something, I am not allowed to go for a walk in the woods and shoot my flintlock a few times at a stump, or log, or piece of metal.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
You could just hammer that real rabbit 100 times on ACA land just to be sure it didn't suffer.
Bwahahaha!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
You don't have to be a dick about it. This was NOT about going in and setting up a bench to sight in rifles which I don't even own, or firing off multiple rounds, or shooting the place up. I was simply trying to get a feel for if a person could do a woods walk and shoot a gun on an ACA site. The only reason I thought a rabbit sillouhette is becase I can pack it in and pack it out and I wouldn't have to kill any real rabbits. It's the same outdoor experience as hunting rabbits minus the actual killing part. Is not part of the experience or enjoyment of hunting just being out in a natural setting with your gun and getting a chance to actually use it to shoot something? But no...unless I am actually killing something, I am not allowed to go for a walk in the woods and shoot my flintlock a few times at a stump, or log, or piece of metal.
Take a pill and don't allow the wagon full of butt focused to RIP u up. This place has started to attract far too many holes. You asked a fair question, u now know the answer You know u can enjoy the sites as u like with your flinter so don't let them distract u.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take a pill and don't allow the wagon full of butt focused to RIP u up. This place has started to attract far too many holes. You asked a fair question, u now know the answer You know u can enjoy the sites as u like with your flinter so don't let them distract u.

Thank you. Unfortunately I let people like that get in my head sometimes.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Default Ops question answered

Closing it now