Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Forester neck/bump dies

I have ben using the Forrester neck/shoulder bump dies. I used to buy the Redding Custom Competition Sets but they are over $400 now.

I have switched to using there Neck/Bump and there micrometer seating die and they are just over $200

Here is a video that shows how they work

https://youtu.be/sHzysUEJOR0

I think doing it this way is a good middle ground. You get consistent neck tension using the bushing, and your rounds will chamber easy. Plus you dont over work the brass giving longer and better life of said brass

Last edited by markg; 10-22-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM

I still only neck size my 6.5's and .308's. Although to be fair, easy chambering and extraction only happen for about 4 or 5 cycles before I need to F.L. size.

For me, fire formed brass in my match chambers works the best for me. My ES and SD numbers are excellent on the 5 rifles that I do this for. All of them are sub 1/2moa accurate.

Again, for me, necking has its purpose. I wouldn't recommend it for certain calibers (such as magnums).

YMMV

And please don't flame me. Live and let live. Neck sizing is just like annealing. It seems to get a lot of people's blood boiling.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Thanks for posting.

I played with neck sizing for a bit and gave up on it after seeing no difference. The problems/potential problems for a hunting load were never worth the headaches imo and I never seen any improvement in accuracy. I want rounds to chamber and function 100%. Brass life is not really a consideration I worry about to much. After 2 reloads it goes into the shooting pile and out of the hunting pile.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Thanks for posting.

I played with neck sizing for a bit and gave up on it after seeing no difference. The problems/potential problems for a hunting load were never worth the headaches imo and I never seen any improvement in accuracy. I want rounds to chamber and function 100%. Brass life is not really a consideration I worry about to much. After 2 reloads it goes into the shooting pile and out of the hunting pile.
I jumped in the bandwagon a few years back and bought a neck sizing die for my 7mm08..... used it a couple times now it collects dust.